Digitrax and manual Unitrack turnouts

steve.i456

May 30, 2007
[FONT=Goudy Old Style, serif]I have a question about #6 n-scale Unitrack turnouts and Digitrax. I am building a shelf layout and will be using them manually, so I won't be using decoders. My question is, since these turnouts are power routing, am I better off using Alan Gartner's Wiring for DCC method of modifying the turnout to be non power routing or leaving them alone? I am already planning on dropping feeders on either side of the turnouts. And no, I don't mean on each end, but on the tracks leading to / from the turnout.[/FONT]
Thanks.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
The advantage of power routing in DC is eliminating block toggles, by having the turnout motor turn off a section of track automatically when it can't be used with the turnout thrown for the other path.

In DCC, power routing will still prevent a locomotive from approaching a turnout thrown against it. But while the locomotive is turned off by power routing, you can't use any of the DCC special effects like lights or sound, either. You can't even call up the locomotive because the DCC system can't "see" it until the decoder is receiving power. So with DCC, power routing is a trade-off of whether to allow a locomotive to run a turnout thrown against it in order to have full time access to all decoder functions. Most folks decide in favor of sound and lights, and do away with power routing when using DCC.

hope this helps