Digitals Yamato

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

I use just basic kids water colours, will post photo of the bottles soon.

They are matt finish, but when the protection coat goes on they will look right

Barry check out your local Poud Strecher shop as I got 5 good A4 cutting mats for a £1 each.

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
:D

Hi all just a quick update tonight as the match sticks and tape holding my eyes open are about to give way, only got in from work 3 hrs ago.

The paint job looks iffy as the paint is still wet.
The roll and the paper are what I'am using to make the steam pipes.

Hope to finish all this tonight.

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

This is the paint I use, cost £0.50 ($0.30) for 600ml form the cheap kids section of any craft shop. It will mix with any of the other colours to give what ever you want. I'am always on the look out for stuff for the kids and when I see things like this I try it out for the kids first.

Regards

Rob

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Yamato looks flawless, Rob! It's a real pleasure to check your updates and see it coming together! :D

A.J.

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England

Barry

With the cheap kids water colour paints, if they are to wet put it in a bowl over night and just let the water evaporate. Then give it a mix, carry on until you get the right thickness you want. If you want you can leave it in the bowl and cover it with plastic and it won't dry up on you. I use old egg cups for mine.

Thanks to all for the kind comments, more photos of tonights build later

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Rob:
Just curious, what brand of paint is that you have shown?
I use a local brand here in the US, Model Shipways acrylic flats.
It goes on very smooth, is easy to work with and can be diluted with water, has no offensive smells and coats very, very well.

I have seen but not yet tried using what is called Japan Colors which is a very fine grained tube acrylic used, I believe, in acrylic art painting. When working on wooden ship models it is excellent, covers well, etc., but is a tube product so come out thick and is again diluted with water to the consistency required. I imagine it would be great for card models too, as long as you are careful in applying it sparingly and not too heavy to have the water soak the card. Best thing is they come in a variety of colors not offered in most other mediums except for oil paints.

I haven't tried the MS paints using a spray gun yet, but I am told it works great that way too! I haven't had the need to apply the paint over any great areas yet, using them to simply touch up folds, edges and the like.

Oh, yeah, I also like using it to make railings and the like, although in a previous thread I mentioned how it requires a few coats to adhere the threads together for railings, but it work great and is easy to apply to avoid blotches and globs on the joints since water will thin out those unwanted and unsightly spots. I use a very thin brush for most of my painting needs, one brush in fact, although there is a whole slew of them in my tool box if needed. I just need to control those gorilla hands in applying the paint! Ah, but then the mistakes can be removed fairly well with water and a Q-tip or even the cleaned brush, if you do it quickly before the paint dries.
Just some rambling thoughts... :wink:
Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

Not got a clue as the paper work that came with it is long gone. I think it is an acrylic base paint, it's used in all the schools here. As for the types of paints I use, I will try anything on scrap card and if it works I use it. I even use the kids solid paint blocks sometimes.
The same for glues as well.

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

All it has on the label is "Educational Products Ltd". All the info on what's in it was on another sheet. I will be getting more soon so I will find out then. More photos later

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Not much done tonight as it took ages to sort out the pipes.
Was able to do them and fit some of the sponsons.

More tonight

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Jim

Off topic, but

I just noticed the comment in my album. the chopper is made out of photo paper and has not been painted at all yet. Put it here as I knew you would read this

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

I have started all the small detailing of this section of the model and doing the paint work.

After this is done it will have to be the props and rudders next as I won't be able to turn it over once I glue the sections to the deck. Also to build a stand for it.

More tonight

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi again

This is a cutter I got from a shop in Reading today for £0.50 ($0.75).
I have tired it out and it works great.
It goes to show with the bits I have bought over the last week that you don't have to pay the earth for tools. Just look around a bit.

Regards

Rob