Digitals Yamato

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Just a quick update of tonights build.
This is the main superstructure that carries the bridge and funnel.
The main frame is built from 1mm card and the side bulk heads from 0.5 card. The amount of formers in the base gives a very strong build. All still fits very well, no problems :D

More in later

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Barry

The bottle has super glue in it, the tip on the end is a small rubber tube with a pin prick hole in the end so only a small dab of glue goes where you want it and not all over the place.
To make the tube, find a small tube Glue tack/ not stick tight a small pin in the end and then shrink it over a bit of heat. then pull the pin out quick before the rubber sets hard. You can also use electrical shrink conectors, but clear ones are rare. It works

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
If I remember rightly ther are a lot of those. Looking good, you going for the world's speed record in card building?

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
:D Hi all

I have started to build the AA guns for the bridge structure.
I have not put in the barrels yet as I'am in two minds to use wire or roll them. Going to practice this first to see which one looks best??
There are 13 parts to each gun, with the curves they require a lot of forming to get the shape right.

More tonight as it is 1.55am here, I'am of to my pit

Good night

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
:D
AA guns and bridge are taking shape, I think a repaint for this might make for a better finish as the shades are to dark to show of the detail !!

More tonight

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
AA guns and bridge are taking shape, I think a repaint for this might make for a better finish as the shades are to dark to show of the detail !!

More tonight

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Only a little bit more built as I had to go south to work for a few days :shock: :shock:
In the third pic I have all so started the paint touch. the barrels for the AA guns are going to be rolled. They have not been put in yet as I damaged two when building other parts. The top section of the bridge is only a dry fit yet
More tonight

Regards

Rob

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Coming along nicely, Rob! Like Scorpio, I admire how clean your model looks and how there are so few visible edges. Do you score the folds on the face of the part or on the back?

A.J.

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

The first pic of the barrels I should of posted last night but missed it oops!
The second pic is just to show hows she is comeing along, the white line down the side of the hull is for an edge to be fitted yet to give it a slope.
Third is from B turret aft, I have to fit what I call the cloth belows on the guns yet. These I have made out of very thin white paper almost like tissue.

Should have been more pics but my camera batteries have gone:cry:

To get the bends I use two methords, first if it's to be bent in I lightly score both sides with an old blade. If it's to be bent out I score the white side with an old blade and the printed side with a blunt metal meat rod.
As soon as the shops open I will get some batteries and put a photo up of the tools I use.

More tonight

Regards

Rob

Swinger

May 29, 2004
Gdansk, Poland
www.republika.pl
The ship looks very good, but would look even better, if you coloured the parts' edges. ;-) It's much more work, but I think it's really worthwhile. Also, the barrels shouldn't be white inside, should they? :D

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Swinger

When the parts are finished all the edges will be touched up. Nothing has been glued to the hull yet. I have made inserts to go inside the gun barrels to give the right effect. The photos where only to give an idea of how far the build has come along.

You are right though it will look much better when the touch up has been done. I tend to leave the touch up until I have a least one or two nights work of colouring as if you do it in bits on large items the tones never match, even if you use the same paint from the same container.

Regards to all

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all
just some of the most common tools and glues I use!!

The ball head bobbins I use for Scorpio's idea about pushing out the rivets.

The pen like item is the blunt blade that I use to score lines on the side you don't see.

Yes the glue is in a bowl, if I do this it drys while it is being used to form a skin. this gives me various grades of skick quality. If I take the glue from the side, when applied it contact sticks. From the centre, it takes about 10-15 seconds to stick. To store it over night I just put it in a plastic bag and push the middle of the bag on to the glue and it does not set.

Regards

Rob