Digitals Yamato

jrts

jim

The bridge section is two thirds done, after this the bow section with the hooks and chains to do and about two to three days of touch up work. Then rigging

The mast has already been done, I have used this for a soldering demo along with making railings and fenders out of wire.

A good way to make fenders is to use the platt wire out of the coax cable. Cut it into short lengths and solder a small ring on to it and pack it out with cotton wool painted first. Then gather the bottom together and close it with a dab of solder. Then paint the whole thing a bamboo colour.

Barry Carley floats :?: :?:

Regards

Rob

jrts

Hi Roman

I only have a cheap camera, it has three flash settings. Auto,red eye and off.

On most of the photos I have used the auto and on very small stuff the red eye as the auto flah turns everthing white :x
I must get a camera this week that has zoom ect, the one I have was only for taking photos on a building site!!

More of the build tonight

Regards

Rob

jrts

Hi all

Just one photo tonight, all I have done tonight is to make up the last of the cable, hose reels, search lights and sponsons. Also spent 2hrs doing some of the touch required

Tomorrow all the small cal AA guns to do, loads of these.

More tomorrow

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Great work on the details, Rob.
Pity, only one picture...I'll just have to wait for tomorrow's installment, I suppose.... :lol:

I am still waiting to find out what Barry meant about those "Carley Floats". :D
Jim

jrts

Hi all

Just two photos for now, I'am still building and will post more later.

Last of the small deck fittings aft done, also last of the large AA gun positions finished plus some of the AA directors fitted.

More soon

Regards

Rob

jrts

Hi all

Back again for the last bit tonight.

One thing I have found odd for this ship is the lack of life saving gear.
The only things on show are two life rings on C guns housing. I know the boats on the real ship where stored under the galleys by the flight deck. But if you are up the forward end you had dipped :cry:

Another plane has been added to the flight deck and more done to the bridge section. Four small bit have to go on in front of A gun and then to the anchors and chains.

More tomorrow

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Thanks, Rob!
Funny thing about the lack of life boats...I wonder what that is about?
Great photos and some great detail work done!!
Have a good night! :)
Jim

Maurice

Blast. It increases greatly with calibre.
Tests showed that the crew and fittings had to be shielded from it, which accounts for the fact that most of the superstructure is enclosed and clear of fittings to a much greater extent than on other capital ships. (In these testsYamato probably killed more hamsters and assorted critters than any other warship in history. :D ) It was also the reason for the boats being in an enclosed gallery.
With smaller guns, Rodney still cleaned up much of her own forward deck planking and fittings in the Bismark action. She was firing on all bearings not just abeam.
And you didn't get off a sinking battleship in boats or rafts - they'd been shredded.

Maurice

jrts

Hi all

Rebuilt the stern gun director.

Slowly working my way to the bows :roll:

The pun about the life saving gear was why have just two life rings and nothing else, if a person went over board it would not be much use as the rate of turn on this beast would not give them much of a chance even with the rings. It just looked pointless to me.

I think as well it might have had to do with they would not be expected to abandon ship at all but to fight it out to the last man.

Try to do more later

Regards

Rob

barry

Rob

Well worth doing I wish the sun would shine for an hour in Liverpool to see her properly but that's asking a lot I suppose. It's a big old beast to build.

barry

jrts

Barry

You have got more chance of the Titanic docking in New York than a day of good weather here, the forecast is crap.

It's been chucking it down for three days solid now :cry:
And to top that the kids are of school on a seven week summer holiday :shock:

Regards

Rob

DN

Skulski's book shows two more life buoys mounted on the railing on the stern of the ship, just behind fondation column of the catapults.

jrts

Hi all

Last for tonight, this section is nearly finished now.

I still have to find out what part goes on the white rectangle by the life bouy, thick me I must have missed this along the way :roll:

More tomorrow

Regards

Rob

PS That only makes about 500 crew to a bouy :twisted:

jrts

Hi all

Just a few photos outside to keep Barry happy :lol:

The wind is still strong here so I had to cut the photos short, first bit of good weather we have seen in ages!!

More build tonight

Regards

Rob

barry

Way to go Rob that's what I thought it looked like faaaaaaaaaaantastic in true colour.

Thank you

Barry

Jim Krauzlis

Ahhhhh!! :D

Between you and Barry, my day is ending quite well! :lol:

The sunlight really does bring out the great color of this build, Rob.

Did you figure out what that little rectagle on the foredeck should be? :?

Jim