Digitals Yamato

jrts said:
Hi all

Just a note with regards to the next ship to build.

If any one has any more ideas please lets have them by the Sat 12th July. The reason is I think Yamato will be in the last stages of construction then and I will need time to get ref material together if it turns out not to be in kit form.

So any more ideas lets have them, I will cast my vote then.
So far Missouri has it with two votes!! (should keep Jim happy) :lol:

Yamato build up date later

Regards

Rob

After something this size I think I'd be looking for something slightly smaller. I just ordered the USS Maine from Lighthouse. How's that on sound. Nice small hull size around 15 inches, unusual design with those main gun turrets on off set positions on the hull and historiclly sinificant too boot :D :D :D :D :D :D

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Sticky Fingers

Is this the one that went pop in Havana harbour in Feb 1898.
I think this might not have been in WWII some how :cry:

As for the size, no worrys about storage space for me the bigger the better. The Tennesse that I have done the frames for is over 1mt long. the original was going to be in the region of 2mt but that was a little bit big for a free download on this site :lol:

Jim a photo for you, it will take you about ten sec to figure this one out :lol:

Who is she???

Yes, the one that let the "yellow press" push us into a war. I'm starting to like the size of these ships as my "graving dock" is pretty much limited to my 'puter desk space. Plus the color scemes and design oddities make for some interesting models. Too bad the European design houses seem to be more interested in British, German, Italian, Austro-Hungarian and Japanese vessels. But now that my daughter is out of the house maybe I can plot an expansion of the dock yards! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Mark:
What type of ship are you looking for?
Some modern warships are available at 1/700 scale for free by Yuki Yuji, with a few more to come shortly, including an air craft carrier!
Check it out
http://home.kimo.com.tw/yukiyuji/downl1.htm
I saw a few of the OH Perry frigate on this site, one by Barry and the other by a fellow I am sorry I cannot recall, both quite well done. They would be perfect for a limited space kind of guy, as are the JSC 1/400 line of ships.
There are a few others out there in larger scale by Fly (Russian cruiser and aircraft carrier) and HMV just came out with an incredible Ticonderoga. There are quite a few other WWII ships out there in the larger scale, as well as WWI and dreadnought class too.
Digital Navy has a neat pair of ships for free download too!
Just a few thoughts. Hope you find them helpful.
Jim
Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Not much done to her tonight as I have been building hose reels and other smaller deck fittings all night.

Finding it hard to get a good shot of the whole ship a night so I will try in day light and see what happens.

I will have some good build time in the morning.

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Hi Rob

Another question did Japanese ships have tompions in the barrels.

Touchup doesn't show at all which is just how it should be.

barry

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
Rob, your build of Yamato never ceases to impress me. Thank you for all the pictures and updates! :D

Since Hood is out of the running, I’d like to cast a vote for the battleship HMS Royal Sovereign (or any of her sisters in the 'R' Class).

AJ

Ajax

Apr 20, 2004
barry said:
mucky stop up! interesting way of steering looks complicated
I've done a bit of digging and found the following note on Yamato's rudders:

The Yamato's secondary inline rudder was not used in conjunction with the main rudder. It was designed as a 'spare'. When tested, it proved to be ineffective in use by itself.
http://www.mwci.org/shiplist/shiplist-notes.html

Apparently, the 'R' Class as built all had secondary rudders as well, but they were later removed.

AJ

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

AJ

Royal Sovereign is on the list, no probs

Barry

I don't know I will check in to it, but she is going have them any way.

More photos later

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Scorpio

A comment like that from the master, well all I can say is thanks.

I started the build on the 15th May 2004 (15/05/04). Romans design makes it go better

Thanks again

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

It seems that she had two types. The white ones shown and a silver set for when big wigs came to visit.

Mine will have the silver set as I have already started them.

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Back again

All parts have now been fitted to the stern area, only paint work and rigging to do on this now.

Next the mid section with the AA guns and bridge.

Jim the last photo is of the working block!!

More tonight

Regards

Rob