Digitals Yamato

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
:D
I have just got my hands on Digital Navys Yamato.
First
If you look on the site everything points to it being a water line model, well its not and there is a lot of other features not shown on the web site. They have under described this model.
Second
Has any one else got this model?
If so any tips?
I will post a discription of the construction with pics as I go along.

Thanks in advance for any help

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Yamato

I wish I had it but it's just too big I haven't got the space.

When you build the hull remember Roman's drawings are VERY precise make sure you use 1 mm card where he says so and make sure the edges of the deck are stuck very firmly at the edges. A load of family bible type weights on top will help and give plenty of time to dry.

I look forward to watching you build it

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Excellent!
That has to be one of the most complex and detailed models out there!
I too look forward to seeing your construction photos as you tackle this one...hope you set aside a room for her. :D
Good luck and have fun building her!!
Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Thanks for the tip Barry.
As for space I have set aside a room to buid it in, all have been banished while work in progress.

Construction should start this weekend. I have a 1/48th scale Saturn V (8ft highl) to get of my work desk first.

Should be able to show some pics in a day or two, I need to get over drooling over it first.

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Yamato update

Constrution has started!

Water line deck and all upper ribs installed. Barry's comment with regard to cutting is spot on any error and it won't fit. Stick to the cut lines and everything fits like a glove.[/img]
The bottle of correction fluid is to give some idea of scale.
It has taken 6 hours to get to this stage. So far it has been great to build with no problems. I will be doing the lower ribs tonight, pics then.

Sorry for the poor pics, my cam is giving me trouble, new one on way.

Any tips please?

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
if you making a waterline only model dry fit the stern hull sides you can cheat on the waterline cut if needed. Thank the Lord for CD kits. If you are doing the full hull look at Phillipe's gallery using red gluing strips.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Yamato update

All the hull frames and stringers are now in and I have started to dry fit the hanger deck.

The pen in the pics points to the water line stringers.
These parts 27/28 R and L are on the frame sheets for laminating to 1mm thick card. The parts are then glued together to form a bulge line at the water line, The slot they are to go in to are only 1mm. two into one does not go. These parts need to be cut out and glued to 0.5mm card to give a total of 1mm not 2mm. Forgetting that everything fits and construction goes on.
Neck step to complete hanger deck and main deck.

Rgards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hi, Rob!
She's shaping up rather nicely!
She's got a pretty sturdy interior framing, huh?
Very much looking forward to your further update photos...any chance you can make the photos a little bigger when you get into some nice details? :)
Great job!!
Jim

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
No need to apologize, Rob, not at all, just being greedy for bigger pictures when you get further along. :D
Hey, not bad for a webcam camera. Guess that explains the somewhat low res and small picture size.
She's looking great!!
Jim

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi to all

I was able to get the hanger deck finished and fitted, Also the main deck fitted. The reason these are fitted first is that the hull platting forms part of the hanger bulk heads, and would be very, very hard to do at a later stage.

Just a note on the models out there, it might be worth checking which version you are getting as she had a major refit in 1943 and some big changes made.

As a ref here are some canges to the guns.
In 1941 she a total of 63 guns of all cals, in 1943 she had a total of 185 guns of all cals. This would make a big change to the look of the ship.

some change :shock:

Next is to start the hull platting

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Only just been able to figure out how to use my new camera as the software that came with was C**P :(

I started the hull plating in the normal way, But due to the odd shape of the stern this did not work and had to strip it all. now I have tried butting the joints together and then putting onto the hull, this seems to be the best way!!

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
Great Job so far "Captain" Rob! Welcome to the Paper Navy! Enjoying watching your build! The Yamato's a BEAUTY! Brings back memories of Cleo's beginings..! She's in Dry Dock right now for repairs (thanks, Marty!) but will be back in the works again soon. (Knock on wood!) I know what you mean about skinning the hull....it's a tough job, I'm sure Roman's pieces fit better than mine did, but it's still a challenge getting paper to form all those compound curves and NOT give you a "starved dog" look as it goes over all the ribs! Good work....keep it up! Good luck with the new camera, too!

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all
Just a quick update for now as I had to do some work for a change :shock:

The hull platting is nearly finished, just the transom to fit and then on to the good stuff. Loads of build time over the weekend :D :D

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Looking great, Rob!!
Did you take that last photo with the digital camera, or have you somehow souped up the ol' web cam? Great photo...sure wish you could post a few more for us...greedy, aren't we? Well, okay, it's just me asking, but I'm sure others feel the same way. :wink:
Looking forward to seeing more update photos!!
Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
You are a very good card basher .

More pics for the junkies please !!!

Can you make them a bit bigger Rob ?

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi to all

Thanks for the comments.
This was my first try putting the good advice into practice about posting pics (thanks again for that)
There will be more and bigger pics tonight

Regards

Rob