Digital Weathering?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by zac, Aug 5, 2006.

1. zac

zac New Member

Hey, im in the process of re-vamping a AT-AT to a bigger scale, better joints and more, I noticed how 'clean' and unreal it looks so i decided to give weathering a shot, using photoshop.
    I have made a few rusty joints and worn out guns, but i do not know what it will look like when its printed out. Will it fit in with the model? Or is it better to apply manually using paints etc?
  2. hpept

hpept Member

i would encourage to give it a go. Experiment with digital weathering is funny. I did my own weathering on the B-747 carried Space shuttle. I've represented the state of the shuttle after reentry, where all kind of streaks, marks, burns and dirt can be viewed on the model.
    Have a look yourself at the construction thread:
    http://www.cardmodels.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2918
    look at post #9 to see how i weathered the tail fin and upper surface of the wing.
  3. zac

zac New Member

Wow! I do like the tail fins rusty effect, maybe i could apply the same to my AT-AT. The bad thing is, i cannot get to a computer with photoshop. So im stuck here bored. Its annoying, I have found an effect named 'fibre' which creates a magnificant machinery effect for my AT-AT. I have also made a few rusty areas on the body itself as well as engine rust along the drive motors. Ill hopefully have the whole thing finished soon, weathering, increased in size by 50% and also many, many WIP pictures, possibly along with a small model set with AT-ST and a snowspeeder.
    Thanks for the input.
  4. Wily

Wily Member

zac -

If you're insecure about your technique or style, post a pic of your work here.

I know Photoshop and can help.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

6. zac

zac New Member

Hmmm.. I think ill stick to photoshop. Ill be posting some WIP pics soon as i can get the rust finished (if i can be bothered) that is.
  7. zac

zac New Member

Hmmm.. I think ill stick to photoshop. Ill be posting some WIP pics soon as i can get the rust finished (if i can be bothered) that is.
  8. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN Guest

I did a tutorial in the old forum on weathering with PS, I don't know if it made it here.
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Thing is ... why go through the long drawn out process of digital weathering when you can by hand and total control weather the model yourself.