Digital Photo Backdrops

bigdonnie

Oct 4, 2004
I imagine many of you have seen the article in the latest issue of MRR. I was impressed by the amazing depth that this backdrop added to what started out as a relatively narrow and visually uninteresting scene.

I've never tried doing this, but after reading this article, I am definitely going to play around with this backdrop technique.

If anyone has successfully done this, perhaps you could share your experiences with us?

I am particularly interested in how you can use photo editing software like Photoshop to adjust picture size so that it is appropriate for the scale you are modelling in.
For example, I would like to try and create a backdrop for my small N scale coffee table layout.

Any experiences appreciated.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Donnie,

My digicam is not up to making big backdrops - resolution is too low, 'cuz the camera is too old...!

However, I have used Adobe PhotoShop Elements to manipulate those (non-RR) photos I have taken. This is a simple program to use - much better than PhotoShop itself, as the functions have been grouped for use with "camera images", as opposed to strictly free-form.

One thing I think is important in backdrops is not to make them so realistic and spectacular that they take away from the trains. This is a risk when using photos for backdrops (in my opinion).

Another point to remember is the perspective. There are many (commercial) backdrops that I have seen that do not match the perspective of the layout. You can see this when you look at (for example) a model building - you can see the roof from the angle that you normally view the layout. But the building on the backdrop, right next to it, has a completely different perspective, and you cannot see the roof. A bit of a discontinuity, in my opinion.

However, with digital manipulation, you should be able to correct these and any other problems. Looking forward to your reports! :D

Andrew

Sunburn

Jun 24, 2005
Minnesota
Backdrop Photos

A couple years ago, I was designing a book cover for work and came across this site. It has great source material for backdrops, assuming you have the skills and software to work with them. GOOD STUFF!!

http://www.morguefile.com/