Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought

Man, that is one clean job! You are showing some patience, that is for sure! ;)

-Ski
Thanks Teamski, I was alitttle worried I might be moving too fast, I have a GPM Graf Spee wanting it's turn on the build dock, but I will not start until done with this one. I like this little ship and has enough detail to make her interesting.

Great work! i'm not hugely into ship models, and all attempts to build anything decent have usually come to a messy end, for one reason or another. Can anyone tell me why none of the major kit manufacturers have ever done this VERY important ship in 1:200 with a full hull? I'd buy that like shot. I had the JSC 1:250, which was beautiful, but had no hull and seems to have dissapeared during one of my moves.

anyway, great build, you are doing an awesome job.

Mousemuffins1 thanks for you kind words, it is ashame that you feel you are not happy w/your builds of paper ships. I bet you could build if you just take your time and do not compare to others:thumb:. Each time you build and complete, you will notice your skills getting better and better. Choose a simple project and go from there and progress until you are building this Dreadnought in 1/200 w/full hull. I believe I seen somewhere that this was what a fellow was doing w/this kit. I do @a latter date intend to scale up, 1/100 would be neat. As far as why do the Plastic mfg's not produce these types of ships is the reason so many of us choose this meduim of modeling. I can purchase a paper kit for less than a 1/4 of the cost of a plastic build, and most plastic kits stop @ 1/350 and cost enough to choke a mule, ie: Trumpeter's USS North Carolina, and you still have to buy PE/barrels sep!!!!!! wall1 Better yet find and purchase a 1/200 plastic kit of the Yamatto, last time I saw one $475.00 f/kit.:eek: I have seen paper builds that are as good as any other type build, be it plastic or wood. So my friend, please help keep the hobby growing and build.:wave: Give paper ships another chance.:mrgreen:

I think you'll eventually see either Model Card or GPM or one of the other major designers do a 1/200 Dreadnought, full hull.

It's day is coming. I'd say that Dreadnought has been built by so many modelers to this point, that the subject (dare I say it) may be a little fatigued. Not that I'm tired of this particular ship. I have the JSC 1/250 version sitting in my to do pile, and I look forward to that day sometime down the road.

I would like to see her done up by a mfg as a full hull, 1:200 scale w/barrel set and PE. I am a detail nut and I like to use all thats available when building. Have been searching the net and reading up on the history of this grand ole gal, was surprised to see that the name would go on to ID a class of ship, she was ahead of her time, fast, good fire power and the fire control system was state of the art at the time. I know you are right about her being modeled alot, but this is a good kit to cut your teeth on. One thing I found interesting, the only action account I was able to find: rammed a German Sub, WWI. There is plenty of photos for the detailer. I am cutting card and using a scale drawing found on the net to add alittle more detail, will post photo's soon.

For such a revolutionary ship, she didn't see a lot of actual combat. Timing was just not on Dreadnought's side to make naval combat history. At least she made design history.

To help your detailing process papastumpy, I could scan my Dreadnought diagram from the JSC 1/250 version and email it to you. It shows a lot of intricate details that don't appear on the much smaller scale DN version...

Couldya, wouldya, pleaseeeeee! You have been a true help already, but if you desire to help me to take this little beasty to the next level, I promise to share the glory withya!

No problem papastumpy. I'll take it to the office with me on Friday and scan/email the diagram to you. I think you would find it very helpful.

I see some scratch building in your near future. :)

May all have a Blessed New Year. Made some progress. The bow has been a bear:eek:. Got on and to look as much a part of the ship as I could, you take a piece that is straight along the bottom, sweep and round at same time:eek::eek::eek:, that translates into a part moving into three directions at same time. Also included a photo of the push hole drill from Japan. For those interested I am taking photos w/a Sony a300 digital SLR , this camera is 10.2 mp and I have to down size to 640 pxs to post thru Corel Photo Shop. Enjoy.:wave:

Attachments

• DSC00359.JPG
    DSC00359.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00354.JPG
    DSC00354.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00358.JPG
    DSC00358.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00360.JPG
    DSC00360.JPG
    104.5 KB · Views: 15
OK may work area gets into a mess too:cry: so there is no magic to my build habits.:twisted: Working in 1:700th in paper no less has proven to be a challenge for me. I work until my eyes have had enough. Use to at a young age set up all night building and or painting, but my ole tired eyes will not let that happen now, you young bucks pay heed, good lighting, again good lighting saves eye strain. Some progress made. eibwarrior, much thanks, you have been a friend and a fellow modeler who wants to help. The line drawing of the Dreadnought is just full of details. Funny thing, the drawing is almost the same size as the model. Will I hope finish the superstructure this weekend.:wave:

Attachments

• DSC00361.JPG
    DSC00361.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC00363.JPG
    DSC00363.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00364.JPG
    DSC00364.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 10
Wanted to see my work area can be a mess too. I have to admit modeling in 1:700 is tough. I hope to model my next project in 1:200, a little easier to see:cool:. Anyhow here is a few photos and one is a photo of a line drawing as provided by a good friend here on the Forum. When you compare the ship to the drawing, they are almost the same size. The superstructure is coming along, I must say Digital Navy did their home work on this one. This is a Free Download, and Digital Navy gets a Big Ole Green Grin f/this most excellent kit:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:.

Attachments

• DSC00361.JPG
    DSC00361.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00363.JPG
    DSC00363.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC00367.JPG
    DSC00367.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC00369.JPG
    DSC00369.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00373.JPG
    DSC00373.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 11
Nice progress shots.

Yes, as I recall, the bow of this model is a bear. I had to do some touch-up painting on the seams despite my best efforts. Other than that, this model goes together pretty well...

I am sad to report that the HMS Dreadnought is off line, lost in action. I will however at a latter date rebuild and this time since I have spent the weekend learning print techniques on my Lexmark printer, up-scale the Dreadnought to a larger size. That's what happens when you let your building area get too cluttered and you relax. I know all were interested to see how she turned out, I am disappointed toowall1. So as my dear ole dad taught me, when you fall off a horse, you get back on. Have a new project laid out and ready to cut:twisted:. Thanks for all your support.

Oh dear. Sorry to hear of the demise of your dreadnought. you mentioned you had a copy of the GPM Graf Spee, this is a model I started many years ago, but met a similar fate as your dreadnought. Still, i mannaged to find a couple of pictures of my build before it's untimely death, so i'll post them here by way of encouragement:

GS001.jpg

GS002.jpg

GS003.jpg

GS004.jpg

I've since learned that the green is perhaps incorrect, and should be grey (boring) but think it looks nifty, anyway.

Just a foot note: received in today's mail the following. JCS 1:250 Dreadnought, 1999 print waterline. From the ashes, the Ole Gal will return and not in that eye straining 1:700, but in a big 1:250 size. Do not get me wrong, you young bucks w/good eye's can build a great ship from Digital Navy's free download, and the key word is well designed and did I say Free! So understand, the only reason I did not rebuild or start again, my 54 year old eyes are not what they use to be. Here is a tip, good lighting, I repeat good lighting, less strain on the eyes. So with that said, coming soon to a thread near you, HMS Dreadnought II Reborn:thumb:

Mousemuffins1, WOW:thumb:, I hope I can do the same justice you were doing to this build. I just keep looking at the photo's, WOW, incorrect camo and all, WOW. I have a friend who is trying to locate the PE and Barrels for this kit, which I read some where, that if you could build the GMP kit of this ship, you could build any of the rest, kind of a right of passage! Thanks for the kind words about the loss, but I intend to return albeit w/a larger version of the Dreadnought. Thanks for your reply and I just keep going to the photo's you posted. Again, WOOOOOW! I like, Rick

This was as far as she got toowall1. The next build will be just as clean and hopefully as good.:wave: Just a bigger version.:twisted:

Attachments

• DSC00387.JPG
    DSC00387.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00383.JPG
    DSC00383.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00379.JPG
    DSC00379.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00376.JPG
    DSC00376.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 13
Thanks. I'd really love to have another go at this kit, but can't afford it at the moment. As GPM have published it, a very pretty battleship. I think I have enough railing left over, but I'm out of stairs, both of which added greatly to the build. speaking of railing, it would appear the the secondary turrets would collide with the railing as modelled. so either the railing folded away during battle, or the turrets are not positioned quite correctly.

I acquired this kit in a trade for 2 airplane kits. I noticed the sharp details of the railing and stairs, were these PE parts. I have gone to GPM's site and registered, but do not have a clue about how to order, they list the kit, laser cut bulkheads, PE, and barrels, I am not sure but w/postage seems like it runs $70.00 for the works. I will keep an eye out and see if one poops up, will let you know. Rick