Digital Navy's BB-3 Oregon, 1:250

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Great crane and boats, Michael! :D

No, that crane is not "great", it's amazing! Do I detect some riveting detail? Fantastic detail!

Great tutorial on making the small boats, and timely too because I'll be using that shortly on my ship!

I'm very happy you didn't do much damage with the lamp incident...but I bet you had an anxious moment when that happened. :shock:

More photos when you can, please. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
Dear friends,

the result of today's build...

I completed the aft part of the flybridge. On the platform, besides the range finder, the kit calls for a gun to be placed there. But on the diagrams it looks different from the supplied parts and on the model photos included on the cd only the mount is visible. So, guessing from other ships where a platform like this would hold the mother compass, I created a small black "something" to be placed on the mount. Declare it whatever you like it to be ;)

@Jim: Yes, there is riveting detail on the crane - but it's "only" printed. Much too small to do something else...

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
Also, I went a little further with the railings.

Somebody at kartonbau.de pointed out that the railing on the superstructure should probably be painted buff - the same color as the superstructure itself.

While photos of the original seem to support that opinion, I think the railing looks better left in white. After all, this is where the most hours are spent, so it should really stand out... ;)

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Michael

The whole thing looks fantastic, Iam still shocked that you have been able to keep the hull so clean!!

Look forward to a lot more :D

Rob

bholderman

Jul 21, 2004
Somebody at kartonbau.de pointed out that the railing on the superstructure should probably be painted buff - the same color as the superstructure itself.

While photos of the original seem to support that opinion, I think the railing looks better left in white. After all, this is where the most hours are spent, so it should really stand out...

Michael,

I realize that you have reached your own conclusions on this, but I thought I might spit out a few reference photos (actually of the Olympia), I would assume the paint schemes would be the same.

Courtesy of:

http://www.taskforce1.org/olympia1.htm

oly64.jpg

oly11.jpg

Great build, Im tempted....

Cheers,
Brad

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
Hi Brad,

thanks for the images. It shows me that there were at least some white railings, so I'm not completely off.

All,

I am looking for images of the Oregon in the early configuration (no raised smokestacks, no cage mast) that show the rigging. If anybody has something like that, please let me know.

thanks,
Michael

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
Also, I have built the mast.

The top portion is made from Evergreen strips, diameter 1.2mm to 0.5mm.
To keep it straight, there is an additional former in the bottom of the lower mast and the plastic strip extends down to it.

The thinner upper portion is a 0.8mm strip, glued into a hole in the lower 1.2mm strip - I didn't believe it at first, but with a little patience, you can actually drill a 0.8mm hole into a 1.2mm strip ;)

Only two problems with the mast (for Roman):

a) There is a marking on the lowest platform, that "something" should be glued onto the platform - but there is no "something" to be found in the kit. The model photos only have another "something" there that doesn't resemble anything found in the kit. Photos of the original reveal that "nothing" is placed there, so I did exaktly that.

b) the "railing" of the topmost platform is printed in white in the kit (refering to the buff version here). It should be buff, so I painted it.

For the canvas covered railings, I used the kit pieces printed on thin paper and then glued two pieces back-to-back to avoid the white backside.

The mast will be kept seperat from the ship until that is finished and covered with UV protection. Then the rigging will be attached to the mast and then glued to the ship. It would be more difficult to attach the rigging to the mast when it is already glued to the ship and I don't want the rigging on there when I spray on the UV protection.

regards,
Michael

Renaud

Feb 12, 2004
Lille, northern France
Oregon railings colour

http://postcards.delcampe.com/item.php?language=E&id_enchere=06065933

Postcard of the Iowa, painted in the same scheme as the on going Oregon. Are railings white or buff?
As can be seen, this photograph comes from Marius Bar editions, what I have just discovered.
Here is their website, where I ordered high quality photographs
http://www.mariusbar-photo.com/
and the dedicated part, regarding these US ships
http://www.mariusbar-photo.com/cata...eg&PHPSESSID=956b9b05fa3c469a1540f5fee10b4e6f

You have to look in "Notre fonds photo" then "Marines de guerre étrangères", if you are interested in ordering something regarding non-French ships. No picture available, for all prints ordered are scanned after original glass plates. As they say, they intend to scan them all, a huge job they haven't started yet, of course.

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
Hi friends,

I couldn't accomplish a lot in the past days, but at least all the searchlights are now in place (not in the picture) and the ship can't go adrift anymore ;)

Thanks for all the info on where to get reference materials.

regards,
Michael