Digital Navy's BB-3 Oregon, 1:250

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
I also experimented a little with paper railing. I think this has potential, if I build some guides to get all my posts to exact 4mm length and the horizontal parts straight.

Also, I have to find a "something" to stiffen the paper strips a little better.

If anybody is interested: it took me 15 minutes for this little piece of railing, but I hope I get faster with a little experience...

best regards
Michael

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Please...DO "bore" us, Michael! :lol:

I've not been bored by any of your posts, and the last few have been brilliantly illustrative of great techniques.

On the railing from paper, have you tried soaking them in CA after or before cutting them out? The trick is to try and not get it stuck to anything else while it dries... :wink: I often use PVA or white glue to do a similar thing, but the glue seems to dry with a slight amount of flexibility, but enough stiffness to hold the shape as long as no stress is put on the part...i.e., not a good idea if it's part of a rigging setup. :( It should work with railings, though, I would think. I've used acrylic paint soaked threads for railings on smaller scales, and it seems to work, despite the apparent tendancy of some of the silk thread to resist getting soaked by the water based paint...it has the similar characteristics to PVA, though, in that it will remain a bit flexible, but that could be an advantage when trying to wrap around curves on the deck.

Just some thoughts which I hope are helpful.
Looking forward to more when you can! :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
Thanks for your kind notes, guys!

One comment: It was a bad idea to put the fly bridge in. Now it's hard to get the 11 inch turrets with the rotation cylinder in place. It seems I now have to glue them on flat, no rotation possible...

Doesn't matter too much since it's strictly "hands off" anyway. :lol:

regards,
Michael

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
Michael,

Several hardners work well. CA has already been mentioned but has some drawbacks. One mehtod is to lay down a layer of teflon plumbers tape on a pane of glass. Place the cutout rail on top of the tape and apply the CA to the paper. Place another piece of teflon tape over this and place a matching pane of glass to finish the sandwich. Allow to dry. The CA may set too quickly thus voiding the flattening effort. Another method is to use either wood hardener or better yet shellac. Follow the same setup but put a paper towel pad over the last teflon tape to allow some air through. Placing it on a warm heat source will also speed along the drying process.

Best regards, Gil

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
Hi friends,

today I continued on the shelter deck walls and finished the first side. No magic there... The flap in the middle will later be glued to the boat stands that will be added between the walls. If I can manage to tweak them under the fly bridge that is ;(

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
and a closeup of the first piece of railing on the model. Doesn't look that good... well, good enough for me.

The white position marks beneath the ladder will have to be retouched though.

And - hey, something is really wrong here.... Anybody wants to make a guess?

regards,
Michael

cardfan

Jan 17, 2004
Alamo, CA
Possibly the little roundy part above the deck line where the military mast is supposed to be...Isn't there going to be a chart house in that spot?

charliec

Jan 18, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
I hope that really wasn't how it was designed - as in - climb up the ladder and have your head taken off or be tossed back onto the deck if the turret rotates. I can imagine the screaming of a modern health and safety inspector.

Regards,

Charlie

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Yeah, Charlie...not only do you have to climb up that ladder only to come face to face with the barrels, but then you have to climb OVER the rail to get to the upper platform! Oh, that's sure to cause some problems, you betcha! :lol:

Michael, not sure if this model shows it, but normally the rails have an opening where there are ladders or "gangways" to permit the sailor to get to the upper deck or platform without having to climb over the rail :wink: , and the handrails for those gangways are normally built so as to come out of the rail at those openings and then lead down on each side of the steps...but you probably already knew this and were just funnin' with us, right? :D

Cheers!

Jim

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
Jim,

you got it ;) Problem was that I put on the railing before attaching the ladder. Seen separately, both pieces were quite ok - but when put together...

About to change the situation to make life for the sailors a little easier. At least they shouldn't have to climb over the railing before getting their head shot off...

Michael

murban

Apr 23, 2004
Scheessel, Germany
www.cardinspace.com
...and now compare with the drawing. You'll note that the marks are reversed.

Did I confuse the left and right wall, since they are similar?

No, checking the parts indeed revealed that the glue marks for the boat supports are reversed...

Roman, which version is correct - the drawing or the parts (53 & 54)?
I would think that the gray top piece of part 53 really belongs to part 54 and vice versa...