Digital Navy V-108 in 1/150 scale.

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
I've decided to scale this one up a bit to better handle all the small parts. I've started on the hull and will post some pics soon. I've got a question already though. What color should the propeller shafts be? Brass, black, dark grey, I just don't know but I'm leaning toward dark grey for now. Any suggestions will be welcomed.

Cecil

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Well my 2 cents worth, Navy ships were sometimes optimistically painted with whatever the hull preservative color was. With the shafts spinning etc, the bottom paint wore off these parts, and hence down to thier bare metals. The non moving parts, the shaft supports were bottom paint color .A lot of larger ships had brass/bronze props. the shafts would probably be a greyish bare metal finish, the rudders were bottom colored. Hope this doesn't confuse too much.

jcrespo

Jun 27, 2004
Georgia, USA
Cecil,

Nice job on the hull. What are you using as filler?

As for the color of shafts/propeller, I'm attaching a drawing I found a while back ... perhaps it will be of some help.

Joe

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
Guys, Thanks for the kind words on this build. I'll have to hustle over the next week or so to finish it for the Derby eve model meeting in Albuquerque.

The very detailed profile V-108 photo will be very helpful in providing many finishing details. Right now I'm having lots of fun trying to sort out details.
Thanks Joe.

Cecil

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
Joe,

I forgot to reply to your filler question. I'm using a 50/50 mix of PVA (white glue) and artist gesso. The gesso is made from whiting compound found at most paint or hardware stores. Just follow the directions on the box (I thing that baking soda or corn starch is added) or get gesso in a tub at the art store.

Cecil

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
I've finally gotten back to this project. I got sick and missed the May meeting so there's no pressure to get it done by a certain date. I'll probably enjoy the build much more this way anyhow. Here's a few more progress pics.

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
Here's one more distraction. I've decided to build a 1/1 scale 12 foot river-runner boat based on a design by Jim Milachak. Since his plans are drawn at a 1/8 scale I hashed up a concept model. Then I basically carved it up and slapped it back together to experiment with different layouts. It's pretty close to the final configuration now, though the model shows the effects of trial and error designing.

Cecil

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, Cecil! :D

Your V-108 is looking great, nice upscale work. This is just a nice design, don't you think? You should have lots of room for some nice detail work.

Interesting, I could swear I can see an impression of the actual hull frames suggested by the painting details in the bow area, you know, that typical washboard appearance these steel hulls seem to all have?

Keep at it and more photos when you can, please. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
Jim,

That wahsboard effect is due to Roman's excellent graphic design work. I'll post more photos when I get back to working on it. It may be awhile though since I'm pretty jazzed about getting the riverrunner boat done.

Cecil

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
The riverrunner model pictured in this thread is 1/8th scale. I'm working on a 1/12 scale model to hash out refinements to the boat and to plan layout of parts on the 4 foot by 8 foot plywood to minimize waste. Then I'll build the 1/1 scale boat starting over Memorial weekend. Hey ya can't go fishing in a 1/12 or even 1/8 scale model!
Cecil

cecil_severs

Mar 26, 2004
New Mexico
Well I have'nt done a thing on the V-108 lately. Every evening I come home stare wistfully at this beautifull uncompleted model for a few moments and then go out to the garage to cut some wood, do a little sanding or maybe glue up a few parts. Here is the RR12 project at it's beginnings. Just the two center seat forming sections mounted in tandem on a strongback which is actually an old bookcase set on it's side and raised off the floor by the recyling tubs. The sides (not shown) are almost ready to attach to these pieces. After that it's going to start looking like a boat very quickly.

Perhaps this is not appropriate for this thread but I did want to show my excuse for not yet completing the V-108 build. Well at least now I have Scorpio's magnificent work as a reference for my own efforts when (not if) I get back to model building.

Cecil