digital navy uss arizona 2004

dansls1

My Lutjens has a nice hole in one of the vertical formers thanks to one of my cats, in addition to stealing a piece of a car build causing me to abandon it (I wasn't real happy with the overall look anyway). I'd be searching for a nice high / inaccessible storage area if it were me ;)
The framing looks good. As far as photo-etch details, I know that a few of the hobby places carry generic ladders and railings in most scales. You might be able to find some of what you want doing it that way.

todays update has no photos since i forgot to recharge my blackberry

boy the 2mm card i used to reinforce the decking is a very very hard thing to cut
i think i got a work out from it

but i tell you the result is worth the effort it is very similar to a real wood deck now... lol
i think it can even hold kitty now

just i case i will hold off on attaching it to the superstructure till i finish the lower which i wil start on now and make a major push before bed tonight

i am very gratefull to have a job that gives me a 3 day weeked every week other wise i would be worried how long this build would take sign1
sadly i am still buying more and more models to build even though i will only be like 10% done maybe whne i complete the superstructure

i encourage all of you to buy romans models so he will keep building these exceptional models
Home
:thumb:

I agree about the 2mm card. I went out and bought some utility snips like what is used for vinyl flooring. It's the only way I could manage it and still make good time.

i really made some progress today
the entire superstructure minus 5 pieces is complete
i will tidy up the rest tomorrow night
i see this as a milestone in the project and get some much needed satsfaction from it

i have test fitted the 2mm deck to it and it seems very rock solid now

much as i had hoped for in the first place...

hope you enjoy the pics

well im going to try again tomorrow
they seem awefull washed out from the lcd

but i sure am tired its 630am :cool:

till next time

Attachments

• AZ3.jpg
    AZ3.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 19
  • AZ4.jpg
    AZ4.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 12
quick trivia
can any one tell me the EXACT EPISODE that my avatar is from?
and only post if you think you are right... lol

and no you cant bust out the old st dvds.....

Good looking start on the hull plating Hermit...

How's the fit? Are you applying the hull pieces directly to the formers or are you using a piece of hull red paper underneath?

Quick question since you are ahead of me. On the hull structure, pieces 25a, b, c etc... There are tabs drawn on these formers. These do not cut out and bend do they? Do they remain flat? I suspect they are there for future hull pieces to attach... It's a little confusing.

Thanks in advance Hermit...

i am using the hull structure joints since it will hide the white underneath
i too am going for a unpainted hull for now since there is so much detail listed on it

Long Time No See

well i decided to paint the hull like i see the great masters do
and its no picture of the week but damn i like the results..
and seeing how this is my first ever ship model ill continue to develope my technique
i really dont know why the pictures are tinted green

guess its my crappy bb camera :p

ill try to get some better ones

and yes im spray painting over carpet

bachelors can do that :cry:
lol

Attachments

• IMG00075.jpg
    IMG00075.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 14
C

cgutzmer

Coming along nicely! Thanks for the update! Got enough paint so you can make the whole carpet red? ;)
Chris

actually im pretty good at aiming except when kitty runs across the crosshairs... sign1

here is a better on with me holding it in the light
gosh it sure is shiny, im using krylon and im really liking how its turning out
but my camera is crap and doesnt do it justice

but painting the hull really does give it a extra dimension that wasnt there before
and i wouldnt be surpised if the hull was now waterproof after all the paint i have put on it. im suprised how much paint it sucked up before i even started getting a full cover on the hull

all in all im giving the experiment a 8/10 with better results anticipated on the next model

some things to consider from other masters
i will brush paint thinned down white glue on the whole hulland truly sanding down the entire hull before adding the running plates (thin red lines) and the paint so i can truely sand every thing true and smooth.

unless any one else has some pointers on hull finishing...

and having never done boats before this is turning out to be one of my funnest and favorite builds..

i have 2 more days off before thanksgiving so ill try and get the hull finished

thanks for checking the thread out..:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG00077.jpg
    IMG00077.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 11
B

Bionic Modeler

In answer to you unfinished wor, I think you are off to the right start. This build thread will push you to finish it since all of us will be REALLY DISAPPOINTED IF YOU DON'T. How is that for pressure??

B

Bionic Modeler

I think really smooth is over rated. You ever seen a really smooth hull on any ship that isn't fiberglass? They are full of imperfections. Some of the best modeler's in the world deliberately weather, distress and otherwise modify their work so it doesn't look so darn perfect. Many of the construction techniques of the time required lap joints on the hull plates. So if I were you I would stop trying for perfection and go for realism.

Just my perspective.

oh i realise what you mean and i dont mean that the whole hull be smooth
just that the join marks be invisible
me wants the hull to have that dented cubie wavy kinda look that the real one has

and so far it really matches that

my goal was to make the join marks invisible so the hull looked like one long piece of paper with all of the grid and dents showing like the real ship

appriciate your imput!