Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
More added

Thanks joryyys...

Well, I have a chance to add some more structures to the deck. I've added all kinds of small canopy portals and ammunition handling compartments. I've also started up out of the main super structure with the bridge elements.

Progress has slowed some this week to give me a bit of a breather.

I'm going to be out of town in San Diego the next five days, so no updates for a while. Going to visit the USS Midway while I'm there, and continue to feed this beast of a hobby of mine. sign1

arizona68xw8.jpg

arizona69lu8.jpg

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Some progress at last!

Well, I haven't given up. Just hard to get back into the groove after the break, and I had a bout with a stomach flu. :-(

The good news is that I'm back on track and have some progress to finally show.

The navigation bridge is in place as well as the deck coming off the back of the bridge. That piece had many penetrations and unusual cuts. I have several hours tied up in that piece alone. :p

The twin set of stairs coming up below the bridge were easy enough, and I needed an easy assembly at the time.

More to come on this deck in particular. More structures to build, and I'm going to start dabbling with styrene plastic rails as well. That should be fun!

arizona70ae9.jpg

arizona71gu1.jpg

arizona72gj2.jpg

Teamski

Mar 29, 2007
Delaware
Beautiful work! I know I skipped detailing the stairs when I did the Hood. I just don't have the patience. Clean stuff to boot!

-Ski

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
More structures, more tidbits

Got a little progress to show today. Getting some of the structures above the navigation bridge in place.

Also, added the signal flag lockers on the back of this elevated deck, and added the egde trimming to the deck. Added styrene posts under the rear of the elevated deck.

Also added some hatches and ammo elevators to the boat deck.

It's just an endless array of little parts and pieces. I'm trying to do as much as possible as I go vertical with the superstructure. I don't want to build over something and then try to come back and wedge it in afterwards. Trying to make my life easier...

Pretty soon, I'll be adding the next deck up over this flag bridge. Fun! Fun!

arizona73im3.jpg

arizona74io8.jpg

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Handrails etc.

Here are some updates. The superstructure is going up nicely. I've started building the handrails for these upper platforms. I'm using .02" styrene round. I'm using the paper rails as templates to lay these out. It's going along nicely. Simply glue, paint, bend and mount.

I'm going to go back over and do some clean up work on the rails once I complete each deck. No need to be precise and finished just yet. More construction will surely rub some paint off here and there.

I'll be adding the next level above the flag bridge and navigation bridge soon. Then the support posts for the gun directors and main trunk of the forward mast... More updates to come...

I stepped back and took an overall shot. It's the first one I've done in a while. It shows all the small assemblies that I've attached to the boat deck.

arizona75ai6.jpg

arizona76iq7.jpg

arizona77lp2.jpg

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Hermit and Barry...

@Hermit... No, the styrene is fairly formable with simple forms like pens and straight edges. You can roll it to form a radius or bend it to a max. of 90 degrees before it snaps. The shape holds up well enough until you glue it to the model, then it's set.

@Barry... Yep, I can put a tutorial together for you later this week. I've got tons more to build. :) I've run out of styrene round and I'm going to give .02" music wire a try. I picked some up at an art and architectural supply store. The music wire is the same diameter, but I got even more of it (15 lineal feet for $2 versus 5 lineal feet for the same price in styrene) and it should bend better than the styrene. The music wire should bend beyond 90 degrees with no snapping.

I'll put some step-by-step shots of how it goes together later in the week.

dansls1

May 7, 2007
Looking great as always! I look forward to seeing how you do railings - it's one of the things that scares me from buying too many ship models ;)

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Handrail Tutorial (or how I do it anyway)

Thanks for all the great comments guys. Barry and Dan, here's a bit of a demonstration on how I do handrails at this scale (1/100). I think it could be applied to as small as 1/250 possibly, but not much smaller than that.

1. The first shot here shows all the materials and tools required. I use .02" or 0.5 mm styrene round. I use Evergreen brand that I get at my local Hobbytown, but there are other suppliers as well. In the case of this model, the upper platforms come with printed handrails, so I use those as templates in this situation. I cut them out as you can see here. If you didn't have these, you could use the grids on the cutting mat to lay them out. I've made some rails around stair opening in the deck this way. Just measure and cut. Back to the tools... You'll see super glue, a hobby knife, paper glue, tweezers, an paint (I use Tamiya acrylics - neutral gray). The super glue is for attaching post and rail members, while the paper glue is for attaching the whole assembly to the deck.
arizonahr1ab9.jpg

2. As you can see from this shot, I've cut the posts and rails needed to the proper lengths using the specific set of paper rail as a template. I use the grids in the cutting mat to help keep things square as I cut.
arizonahr2ne4.jpg

3. The third picture is a bit blurry, so I appologize, but it shows the first two posts and top rail glued in place. I keep the paper rail just above my work to help me lay it out, and I also use the grids to keep things square. You might have difficulty seeing the posts since they are sitting directly atop the grid lines. I tend to keep the posts on the "inside" of the rail section I'm building, so I have to remember the orientation (which side) that I'm looking at.
arizonahr3yz6.jpg

4. Now here's where things get a little tricky to keep up with. Again I apologize for the blurry shot. I flip the two posts and top rail over so that the rail is now resting on the cutting mat and the posts are on top. Realizing that my assembly is now facing me from the inside, I flip my template upside down so that I've got my interior posts lined up in the right locations. Then I start to use tweezers to glue and place my interior posts matching my template.
arizonahr4oa6.jpg

5. From this photo you can see the completed assembly. I've placed it on gray paper to give it some clarity. I've flipped the assembly back over onto the posts and flipped the paper template back right side up so we're looking at the outside face of the rail section. Notice all the interior posts line up with the paper template posts. This will be crucial to our bend locations in the rail set.
arizonahr5fu3.jpg

6. This shot shows the painting process. I use tweezers to hold one corner of the assembly and then I use the Tamiya acrylic to coat. One coat usually does the trick, but a little touch up is required after sitting it on the cutting mat to dry. Dry time is about 45 minutes to an hour before you can pick it up and start working with it.
arizonahr6uj6.jpg

7. Here is where the work begins to form the handrail section along the deck. I use a straight blade razor for a straight bending edge. I place the handrail down and visually measure where the bend needs to occur. In the case of this model, all bends are on interior posts, so that makes it easy to line up. I form each bend one at a time and then tweak each bend until I'm satisfied with the allignment.
arizonahr7px9.jpg

8. This shot is a bit fuzzy, but it shows the complete section in place. there were three bends in this particular piece. Use the paper glue along the bottom member to attach to the lip of the deck where it meets your side member. The bottom rail tends to blend in with the deck when viewing from normal distance.
arizonahr8li9.jpg