Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by eibwarrior, Sep 15, 2007.

1. birder

birder member

Eib, I was able to build a case with plexiglass and wood trim, although I ended up cutting my own trim peices in the end, but still not overly difficult and fun project of its own. (Just Home Depot plexiglass, cuts with woodshop tools) I think it looks ok, maybe not professional....
  2. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Yeah Birder. I've had thoughts of doing the same.

Plexiglass over 72" gets tough to find and big $.

I've been able to reduce the case to just a table top style case with solid top, back and plexi front and sides for around $450. That's as cheap as I can get it.

I'm going to have to wait until I've got some spare $.
  3. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

If I were you, I'd be guarding that ship day and night until it made it to a case. I have way to much experience with Murphy's Law not to. lol
  4. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Trust me Sebret, I watch it like a hawk. Right now I'm more worried about dust taking it's toll on her.
  5. birder

birder member

It looks like some of the places will cut for you if you need unusual sizes, even real glass likely cheaper than that... seems like some way to reduce cost. One would hate to put in a vertical post midway, but that would greatly reduce cost. 3' x 3' sixe was not too pricey. Just doesn't seem right to cost so much.....:eek: Good luck Eib!
  6. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

I've been sidelined with other projects, and haven't put the icing on the cake so to speak.

I've mounted the draped hoses and water valves for the deck mounted hoses. These were white metal castings that I painted. They're really a nice touch of detail to the build.

I'm fiddling with some other small bits in order to wrap this project up and do a final photo shoot. Look for that in a couple weeks.

Thanks for checking in on my late update...:mrgreen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Padre

Padre Guest

At Sky Harbor airport (Phoenix, AZ) they used to have a model of the USS Arizona (don't know if it is still there somewhere) about 15-20 feet long. I always said, as a kid, that I was going to build one for my house. Now, no room in house to do that, but wonder if I could do it in that size in paper? Already built the Digital Navy one and that design is great.

You did a great job and I have admired it from the start.

For cases try http://www.grandpascabinets.com/index.html
  8. Padre

Padre Guest

As to my quest to find the model of the USS Arizona that was displayed at Sky Harbor Airport..........the results so far on All My Children
  9. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Padre, I did quite a bit of web-seeking for that model. It must be in storage somewhere. I couldn't find a photo or even mere mention of it, and I changed my search parameters quite a bit.

The memorial to the Arizona at the capitol building came up a lot. But no luck in searching for that huge model.

Keep an eye out...
  10. Padre

Padre Guest

I said I would try to find a model of the USS Arizona displayed at Sky Harbor Airport from the '60s to maybe the early 80s. I have not found it yet but along with it was the USS Phoenix, which I did find.

Attached Files:

11. Padre

Padre Guest

There was a scale model of the USS Arizona at the State Capitol Museum, not the one I was looking for though. There is also some of the silver ware used on the Arizona.

Attached Files:

12. Padre

Padre Guest

And for the Train Guys, a 1905 Davenport...........

Attached Files:

13. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Very nice Padre.

Thanks for sharing the photos. The Phoenix model is amazing.
  14. reklein

reklein Member

I love those huge scale models! Do you suppose they were from Gibbs and Cox? They had a bunch of those at great lakes naval training center when I went through there in '64'. I was in charge of cleaning the rec hall and there were at least a half dozen on display there. Beautiful work. BILL
  15. Chris1973

Chris1973 New Member

Ha! eibwarrior, I found you!

Eibwarrior! It's the guy that pm'd about this model on the MW site! I have been looking over this build and I am impressed! BTW, I started the Dreadnought I mentioned. Card modeling and I are going to become really good friends... I will be building this one in the future, let me get a couple under my belt. Most likely, I'll work this one in 1/200.
  16. Kevin Noone

Kevin Noone New Member

I've completed most of the kit-built parts for this model, so it's close to finished. Right now I'm adding the rigging and I'll be adding some after-market details to enhance the overall appearance. Items like 25-man life rafts, 12" signal lights, draped hoses and even a few sailors "at ease" to help give proper scale...
  17. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Cool! Can't wait to see more!

Cheers!
    Jim
  18. twinslet

twinslet New Member

Really fantastic! So are you in the "Never Again!" camp or, the "Can't Wait to Do It Again!" club? Aways felt if I could do something this big, it would be once in a lifetime effort. Either way - great work!
  19. eibwarrior

eibwarrior Member

Thanks twinslet. I'm not in the never again camp. I'll do one again someday this size, but it will be a while. 17 months is a huge commitment. It almost got the best of me.

It just occurred to me today that I never put my "finished" photos up on this site, but I did on another site.

I'll share them all with you here so you can see how Arizona turned out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]