Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Boats finally finished!

I've completed and mounted the last of the ship's boats. I feel like I just won the lottery! Now I can get onto the business of wrapping up some small details, ladders and rigging, etc. I'm in the home stretch now!

I've touched up the seams on the small boats with some special-mixed polyscale paint. I tried to match the hull color as best as I could. At least the black lines are gone and it blends better now...

Attachments

• Arizona 221.jpg
    Arizona 221.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Arizona 222.jpg
    Arizona 222.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 52
  • Arizona 223.jpg
    Arizona 223.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 62

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Rigging

I've completed most of the kit-built parts for this model, so it's close to finished. Right now I'm adding the rigging (denim thread) and I'll be adding some after-market details to enhance the overall appearance. Items like 25-man life rafts, 12" signal lights, draped hoses and even a few sailors "at ease" to help give proper scale...

As far as the rigging is concerned... The denim thread I'm using seems a nice size for this scale and has a good twisted rope look. It's easy to work with and easy to imbibe with CA glue to get a stiff look. I've put all the rigging forward of the forward spotting room/mast and I've worked in all the signal flag lines on the port side of the ship. More to come!

Attachments

• Arizona 224.jpg
    Arizona 224.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Arizona 225.jpg
    Arizona 225.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Arizona 226.jpg
    Arizona 226.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Arizona 227.jpg
    Arizona 227.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 66

Coot59

Aug 30, 2007
Out Standing !!! Museum Quality!!!!

Will you be sealing it some way to protect it from fading? I would hate to see all your work fade away.

Many Thanks for a very enjoyable thread. I hope you will do another.

Thanks Again

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks guys. Yeah Irish, its a big commitment. About 15+ months thus far, and well over 700 total hours to date. But it's very rewarding getting to the end...

Coot, I'm in the process of twisting, er uh, convincing one of my wood-working buddies at the office into building me a cabinet. Something on about a three foot stand with plexi glass front and sides.

papastumpy

Dec 20, 2008
Lowell, North Carolina
I agree with Coot59, Museum quality. I am not easily impressed, have seen some of the best modelers work in the world, and not to make your head swell tooooo big, you my good friend rank up there with the Masters. The time, effort and dedication speaks volumes about your ability. I saw many paper models while in Germany and yours is the best I have ever seen. I tip my hat to you sir.:patriot1:

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Rick and Ski...

@Rick... I'm very, very flattered at your kind words. This is my first upscale build and it has been a very difficult learning experience. I've taken a lot in stride, and made the best of some things, but overall I'm very pleased with how it looks. I've got a couple more simple details to add, so hang in there for some final shots.

@Coot... I've been using Acrylic Matte print sealer on the hull and decks to this point. I'm going to give it multiple coats on the upper works and masts and equipment when I'm finished. This should help prevent fading. I try to avoid letting direct sunlight hit in my office. I keep the shades drawn most of the time until the sun passes onto the other side of the house in the afternoon. I think direct sunlight could be printed material's biggest enemy.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Mostly Finished

Thanks dhanners!

Well, this is the end of the rigging, turret ladders and other small details. I've hit a block in the road. I'm waiting on my aftermarket details from Loyalhanna Dock Yard... 25-man life rafts, signal lights, sailors, flags and chains.

You won't see any more updates for a little while until that stuff comes in. It's been 4 weeks since my order, so any day now hopefully that stuff will show up in the mail and I can finish her.

Here are some shots to hold you over until then. The one from straight-on is the first shot I've taken from the bow looking back. I like it.

3234996693_476da21803_b.jpg

3234996695_9b0d90e2fe_b.jpg

3234996703_2129132dfe_b.jpg

3234996707_aa8a2387e8_b.jpg

Mauiman

Nov 4, 2007
In the badlands of jupiter
Internet ruined my comment to you so here it is in another way and hope that it will not ruin it for me GRR.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: \ :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Beachead

Apr 13, 2007
N. Va, US
Lord man but that's good work. I love the bow on shot. Fine job indeed. Taking a breather or moving something else into the building docks?

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks guys.

I'm waiting on some aftermarket (white metal) details from Loyalhanna Dock Yard to show up. Probably in the next week or two. These would include 25-man rafts, search lights, sailors, flags and chains....

I'll complete the build when these show up.

As for my next build Beachead, I'm going to take a bit of a break from paper for a while. I've been in Arizona for 16+ months and I'm fatigued to say the least.

For my next effort, I'm eyeing the upcoming Fletcher from Digital Navy with a close eye.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Anchor Chain

Well guys, it's been a couple weeks since my last post. I wanted to show you my newly-installed anchor chains. These are splendid for big scale subjects. I got them from Cornwall Models in the UK. These are 5.5 links per inch which works out well for this size.

I've primed them with multiple coats of Tamiya acrylic spray (haze gray) then over coated with brushed on (heavily thinned) Tamiya acrylic neutral gray. I think I killed all the brass, at least I hope so. :mrgreen:

Still waiting on flags, sailors etc. from Loyalhanna Dock Yard. I shot them an email Friday but haven't heard back yet.
3282744331_c6d183ba39_b.jpg

3283564522_8ec1beb23c_b.jpg

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Yeah, check them out at cornwallmodelboats.co.uk They cater mostly to the big scale stuff, but they may have some chain small enough for 1/200. I'm guessing that would be about 10 to 12 links per inch...

Thanks for the link Padre. I just fired him an email quote request. We'll see how bad the damage is...