Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

Kingfisher Re-color complete!

Thanks Hermit! Good to see you around again. I hope you meant "stopped" and not "stepped". If not, my condolences on your loss. :eek:

Finally! This has taken way too long, but I must admit that I've done this just in my spare time only. Probably have about 3-4 hours in this re-color. Had to get colors close to what I considered the rendered colors of the OS2U of the time. And I had to change the markings from the late war stars with bars.
I'm very pleased with the finished product as you can see in this side-by-side shot of the prior colors (Fiddler Green's original) and my back-dated 1941 re-color.

Finished it just in time to go on vacation. :rolleyes:

I'll put scissors to paper when I return late next week.

2946161762_1626d3416f_b.jpg

2945298713_838f969abb_b.jpg

Kingfishers the sequel

Thanks guys. I had thoughts of scratch building interiors, but quickly dismissed them. :mrgreen:

Now that I'm clear of vacation, I'm back on the job. Here's the first shots of the correctly colored :rolleyes: kingfisher. This is just the fuselage and wings only stage. I'm working on the pontoon and other parts tonight.

I've put the new scheme next to the old one so you can note some of the differences in the color scheme in early war vs. late war.

2982891642_9168b46deb_b.jpg

2982892516_708c5ceee4_b.jpg

One down... Two to go

Finished the first OS2U last night. I've placed it in a shot side-by-side with the original. I'm pleased with how the re-color came out.

Now I've got to build two more of these gems. That should keep me busy for a while. :mrgreen:

2986931976_c98fa299e7_b.jpg

GAJouette

Beautiful work.As a Texan I proud to see the painting of Col. Travis drawing the line in the sand.
Regards,
Gregory Jouette

Twins

Thanks for all the great comments guys.

GAJouette, yes, good catch. That is a print of the line in the sand moment with Col. Travis at the Alamo. Somehow I've always been drawn to that event in history. Probably because I was born a Texan.

The Alamo and Arizona have similar, parallel fates. Rallying cries for freedom and calls to war. I didn't plan their occupying the same wall in my office, but I see the similarities.

I couldn't resist posting some photos today. The pair of birds looked so good sitting atop the #3 turret. I'm going to only have one on top of the turret when I mount them and a pair on the fan tail catapult. I just put them up there for temporary observation.

My modeling pace has slowed down of late, but with cold weather beginning to set in, my pace should pick back up again soon. On to bird #3...

3019540047_ff0e111a13_b.jpg

3019540157_f9305f1555_b.jpg

Millenniumfalsehood

That is a beautiful build, eibwarrior; truly inspirational! :mrgreen::thumb:

Incidentally, I just watched Pearl Harbor today, and the story of the Arizona still makes me choke up. To think about all those drowning sailors, just an inch from escape but to be cut off from life because of the very armor and hull meant to protect them.

You're certainly doing those sailors justice with your build; it's a great tribute to a great ship. :thumb:

jkrenzer

She's looking great.

Displaying her infront of the "Line in the Sand" is a great visual image.

The two really go together well.

Thanks guys... I'm really starting to see the end in sight. I'm thinking by Christmas if I can pick up the pace. It's getting cold and dark early, so more time for modeling.

I'm mid-way into OS2U #3 right now. I should have it finished up in the next couple days, and then it's back to deck elements and handrails in the near future...

Birds Finished and Mounted

Thanks Birder!

The three OS2Us are completed and mounted to their respective catapults. I'm glad this portion of the build is over. I enjoyed building the planes, but it took so long that I've lost momentum on the ship itself.

Time to get back into handrails, hatches etc. I'm working my way towards the bow where I will take on the anchor sets, windlass and jackstaff.

3043727527_9a7de51d5e_b.jpg

3043727609_940607ae2b_b.jpg

Back to Detailing

Thanks Mauiman!

With the float planes complete, I turned my attention this past week to the bow and some catching up on handrail work. As you can see in the attached photos I have killed quite a few white spots on the bow including winches, windlass and various hatches and vents. I've also constructed the jack staff from styrene round and attached it to the hull. All the while I have gradually brought the main deck handrails forward towards the bow.

I'll be starting anchor work soon and then turning the Arizona to run the handrail, chocks and bollards down the starboard side.

I'm running downhill towards the finish line now! :mrgreen:

3061172331_2fd6833299_b.jpg

3061172389_32e6fa94e1_b.jpg