Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

Barbette #3 Complete - On to the Guns!

Thanks Barry.

This latest shot shows my recent progress. I've added the Port side stairs from the lower deck to the upper, and I've added barbette #3 for the main guns.

I've started to cut out the parts for the guns #2 and #3. I'm going to work on this pair first. I plan to put ensign red on top of the #2 turret (and the #1 and #4 as well) so I'll have to print out an extra copy of my turrets to get the right size outlined. Then, I'll put the red ink in my printer to good use. sign1

2734392466_2cdec1e24b_b.jpg

2733560967_9eb737a8c3.jpg

2734391324_38fc74f7e7.jpg

Big Guns!

I've been struggling over the past week with Guns 2 and 3 on the Arizona. First problem was making suitable 14" barrels. It took some test builds to over come some problems, but I figured that out. I used 3/16" diameter aluminum rod for the barrel former and it gave me a nice muzzle look at the end of the barrel. Then it came down to fit. The assembly of the turret hood and face plate is more complex than it looks and I had to make some modifications/concessions here.

Finally I have the bulk of gun 2 complete. The pictures below show the progress. I've yet to put the optics on the gun house sides, some other small details, but this is most of the Gun 2 house. I put a field of insignia red on top of the gun to replicate the aerial identification colors of the battleship division 1 which the Arizona belonged to. Turrets 1,2 and 4 bore the insignia red field on top.

I've got to re-print some barrels so I can move on to gun 3. I sacrificed a couple during my barrel test builds. Progress for the next week or so on these two guns will be slow. wall1

2762821969_8dc3a943e4.jpg

2763664672_219cebc251.jpg

2763664740_6184c7020b.jpg

2763664834_35cf9a1e99_b.jpg

2763664912_3d399f8d43_b.jpg

2762822427_93ced6033b_b.jpg

Mauiman

This model looks very good. I like it and yet I some how feel the pain and sorrows of those that were there at that horrifically terrible scene even though I am a young sprout compared to them that were there. Your model brings the vividallity of what it would have been like back then... You are just that good and you can give those like me a gate way picture back into the past and behold many things that happened back then.

Thanks for the kind comments guys.

I've put the fine details on turret #2 and it is now completely finished. I'll upload photos later today...

Turret #2 Complete

I've added all the rails on the turret top, the optics and other fine details to complete the first major gun turret. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. My only complaint would be how the turret face attaches to the overall sides and top. Even at this size it was difficult and required some modification.

I'm hoping to avoid these problems on #3. I'm well into it now and should have it finished in the next day or so.

I can't immagine doing this turret face to main body connection at 2 1/2 times smaller size. Kudos to those who have done it and pulled it off flawlessly.

2771289442_74b6486981_b.jpg

2771289890_0433e15a52_b.jpg

barry

A great build at any scale Elb !!!

ps before you put any guns in tubs under the bridge there are a couple of rails missing on the steps under the bridge

Thanks Barry.

Yeah, I've been holding off on those for too long now. I've got a punch list of little items like those to go back and finish, including the 30 cal machine guns in the aft mast nest and the 30 cals on the funnel platforms. :)

#2 and #3 Guns complete

Now finished with both #2 and #3 gun turrets. I've added all the gun optics and range finders, as well as the small rails on the turret top. I used piano wire bent with pliers and paited with acrylics to achieve those small rails. The pin sized drill was used to mount them to the turret tops.

I'm going to hold off on building the float plane catapult on top of #3. I want to keep up this gun building momentum while it lasts. :mrgreen:

I'm going to move to #1 turret now, which will require that I cut out the center hub part of the main deck. Time to break out the dremel and cutting bits. :rolleyes:

It's been a while since I threw in an overall shot, so you get two this time. The main batteries really start to make it look like a real warship.

2780952413_38cee3514a.jpg

2780952521_ca6ded3761.jpg

2780952189_7886c147c5_b.jpg

2780952315_7fdabb7274_b.jpg

Mauiman

Astonishing. Now it looks like you need the #1 & #4 Turrets. This is indeed something that should be on exhibit at a museum.

Thanks guys. Yes, I'm well into #1 as we speak. I've got some photos of the "significantly" finished turret to upload later today.

Thanks again for all your kind words.

Turret #1 well underway

I've got some updates on turret #1. I've made the barbette, base, gun house and barrels. I'm getting a good technique and better with each one.

I've only to add the optics and roof top rails to complete. That should happen in the next day.

As you might guess, it's then on to turret #4 to complete the set.

2803389119_9d38501e74_b.jpg

2804234990_8afddb8779_b.jpg

Jim Krauzlis

Wowie, Wow, WOW!

Beautiful and very impressive work; this does look like it should be in a museum when done!

I was happy to see you had what appears to be a display area in which she can be displayed and enjoyed...I, for one, would hope you will consider (as I'm almost certain you already have) extending the shelf just a tab and, when done, add a protective cover...wouldn't want to tempt fate on this magnificent creation!

Seems you and bazzer share a love for making space challenging builds.;-)

Simply superb!

Cheers!
Jim

Thanks Jim!

Yes, I have thought very much about the display shelf. It started out as a good idea at first, but as the build has progressed, I have lost confidence in it as a final display piece.

I'm on the lookout for a narrow display table, and I know where to get or make a plexi-glass cover. That's what I plan for the final display.

I've got some updated photos to share later today. I'll upload them soon.

Turret #1 finished - #4 almost

Here's a quick photo update of my progress...

I've finished #1 turret as you can see in the first photo. I've worked the last few days on the fourth and final main gun turret (#4). I'm about 80% complete with it. You can see the progression below. I've only some minor details to add and it will be complete.

2828161625_a26ceea5da_b.jpg

2828161723_fa47aee4be_b.jpg

2828999546_7bb162cd1e_b.jpg

2828161901_ee128e418c_b.jpg

S

Soaring

Beautiful, just absolutely beautiful. Eib, your build is so amazing, everytime I see a new update, sit down, and start from the beginning of this, till its current state. I even pretend as if its a movie!

C

cgutzmer

hmmmm - seeing all the pics as a slide show would be sweet :) this is one awesome build!
Chris

atamjeet

Exactally.... Every damn time I get spell bound to see one or the other fantastic creation... Every damn time I feel inferiority complex.... every damn time I can't stop myself thinking the whole night... My goodness... I salute the passion and the dedication shown here.... I simply don't have the courage to start something so mega...
This forum simply rocks.... 3 cheers to zealot...
Hip hip.. HURRAY!
Hip hip.. HURRAY!
Hip hip.. HURRAY!