Digital Navy Fuso

SCEtoAux

Jul 28, 2004
USA
Great stuff

Barry, I showed a friend the picture of the pagoda superstructure and they were very impressed. I then told them the model was made out of paper and they were completely blown away. :)

Fantastic work.
grinning-smiley-002.gif

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland

Hello all, I have a question about the items between the 2 turrets. /They look like little winged torpedos, Ive seen the on other vessels but I dont know what they are, does anyone know? I doubt it would be a towed sonar array...too old a ship??

Thanks in advance

John John

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Hi, John John:

They are paravanes, which are sort of like submarine kites, and they are towed fromt he vessel at a predetermined depth and angle as a way to ward off anchored mines and to cut the mines from their moorings. They ride out from the vessel by means of the wings, and if all works well the tow lines guide the mooring lines of mines into a toothed cutter on the paravane that then cuts the mine's wire, releasing the mine to the surface where it is disposed of, usually by gun fire.

Cheers!

Jim

pixelkeg

Jan 27, 2005
South Florida, USA
This is very impressive, so much detail.

Thanks!
Sergio

By the way, my wife's grandmother lives near Brighton. We had fun there, but there's a roundabout by the pier that really kept us on our toes. :)

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Fuso details

Hi

Thanks for all the kind words mates coming from you lot I'm chuffed.

Spent quite a while soldering and painting the railings and while I was waiting for them to dry I added a few steps to on some are Ok some will have to be redone I think I hate close up cameras.

fuso_290.JPG

This one is of the All Nippon training area for the Empire State building run.

fuso_291.JPG

The ladders in this look a bit iffy now but it's a fair pic of Roman's flak
guns.

@pixelkeg

Have not seen a post from you before if this is your first welcome to the madhouse and yes the magic seafront roundabout in Brighton still drives everybody nuts.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Fuso railings

I've seen a hell of a lot better but lets hope it improves, need to stick a couple of stanchions back on but that should be OK. Theres a lot more of it to go.

Good job I have some decent pics allready it terrifys me poking the odd locating hole in the deck edge.

fuso_294.JPG

Aft rails

fuso_295.JPG

Searchlight rails

fuso_296.JPG

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
I, for one, am praying for a bright, sunny day in Brighton UK tomorrow so we might be blessed with some more photos of your superb railing work! :D

Lots of work, no doubt, but well worth the effort from the looks of it.

I hope you'll see your way through to posting more photos, Barry. It's quite a treat to see her getting decked out the way she is. Superbly done, mate! :D

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Rails

Hi Jim

OK the sun came out so this is your fault mate.

fuso_297.JPG

fuso_298.JPG

This one shows I always bite off more than I can chew at the time. The rails need to be soldered better because I knocked off several stanchions (I normally stick them back on with superglue but these are in the wrong place). I will have to make a template and go round the casement guns in short steps hopefully. The forward bit of rail is fixed the rest will get cut up for odd bits.

fuso_299.JPG

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
I assume all responsibility for forcing you to post those fantastic photos, mate! :lol:

I was sitting here looking at your photos, just amazed at the railing job, and my wife Rita happens to walk by and says "My, what a lovely ship!"...when I explained how you made the rails, the barrels and all those little details, she was astounded at the work that went into your beautiful ship. A build to be justly proud of, to be sure.

Great job, Barry! :D

Hoping for more sunny weather...and more photos! :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Casement gun railings

Hi

The lazy man's way of getting a pattern it took me a long time to figure it out duh! but it works very well. Anyway it's more accurate than me measuring the thing.

The cutters give a halfway decent corner bend

fuso_300.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
rails

Hi

Fitted the rails I made this afternoon had to cut some to waste getting them to stick down to the decks puts quite a strain on my soldering still. They join up quite well so hopefully they will not show too much, some bits need another touch of glue in the morning. I used some old thick white glue to hold them down my eyes are not good enough to drill endless holes in the deck.

Believe it or not there is some method in the madness of sticking bits on here there and everywhere.

fuso_301.JPG

fuso_302.JPG

Even badly made they add something to the effect.

fuso_303.JPG

fuso_304.JPG

Sorry if it's getting boring.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Not boring in the least, mate! I'm hoping you'll see your way through to post more photos! :D

The railings do add a feeling of completeness to the hull, I agree. That's what usually prompts me to put reason to the wind in smaller scales and try to add something that resembles railing, because it looks so bald and too open without them.

You have done a superb job of it, mate...I don't know how you and Rob can solder all those thousands of joints and make it come out so well. I swear I will try it some day, but for now I am working at a smaller scale that enables me to chicken out for the time being and just stick to thread, glue and a bit of paint. :lol:

So, my friend, what's left after the rails? :D
Still hoping for some sunny weather to get some outdoor shots when you can. :wink:

Cheers!!

Jim