Digital Navy 1:250 USS Arizona 2004

OldSalt

Jun 23, 2005
Newport News, VA
I ordered this after seeing the construction photos on the DN website. After printing everything out and laminating enough 1mm for the hull parts I just sat and stared at the pile of paper for awhile. No matter what nit-picking comments I may have as things go together, this is an amazing piece of model engineering! The back-printing is brilliant and Roman is to be congratulated for taking what was a perfectly good model and redesigning it from keel up!

I started construction with the above-waterline structure thinking that I might complete it as a waterline model. The only hiccups were parts 8, 12 and 21 whose slots were not long enough. Another problem was encountered when test fitting the after deck to the hull structure. A slot is needed at the centerline forward edge to accomodate the "spine." I glued the #25 tabs in place on the #25 stringer pieces before installing the stringers.

I assembled the below-waterline structure on an extra waterline plate I printed out on plain (24 lb) paper. This allowed me to get spine and formers aligned properly. After I had completed that much of the assembly I discovered the "Another warship gets its keel laid..." thread and saw the great photos of wunwinglow's constuction. the gussets are a great idea and I'll use that procedure in the future.

There is nothing special in the photos here - I have a few of the glueing "cheat" strips on the lower hull and have been trying to decide whether i should put pieces 30-34 in place before marrying the upper and lower hull assemblies.

I discovered that the main deck pieces are apparently considered "hull structure" since they are supposed to be 1mm thick. I need to get those laminated before I end up with a "thin deck" like on my Shipyard Dutch yacht. More later as things progress...

wunwinglow

Jan 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
www.kipperboxes.co.uk
Hey OldSalt, looks like I am following in your wake! Interesting to see you found a couple of the same glitches as me, I was going to drop Roman a line but maybe he'll pick them up here. I have to say everything otherwise has fitted like a dream.

Back to the shipyard,

Tim P

OldSalt

Jun 23, 2005
Newport News, VA
Tim,

I think you got a better breeze on the last tack and are out in front again. I just hope that when the skins are on them no one will see my slop job on the inside - :(

It is interesting that we each went at it from opposite directions though. If I had it to do all over again (wait a minute - it's on CD - I DO!) I'd build each half on a .5mm baseplate and then glue the assemblies together. I'm just hoping my old out-of-practice hands and eyes can do this beauty justice.

Your choice of posting the photo log of construction on your own site has me considering the same sort of thing - I have an unused site at the moment (left over from my miniatures painting days.)

OldSalt

Jun 23, 2005
Newport News, VA
Hull halves joined, bottom plating done. I started the side plating in the bow area then read the instructions again and discovered I was supposed to start amidships and work fore and aft in order to maintain proper alignment of the waterline boot topping (black stripe at waterline.) <sigh> 50+ years of model-building and I still 1. cut, 2. glue, 3. read instructions...you'd think I would learn! :eek:ops:

Plating so far, connecting strips in progress, many plating parts to go. The fit of all hull plates has been excellent!

Arizona-24JUL05-1.jpg

Decks have been laminated to 1mm but not yet glued in place.

Arizona-24JUL05-2.jpg

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
IM at about the same stage, and I have to say that as a total amatuer in ship building the fit on the underside of the hull is top notch...I did manage to read the instructions and have plated the center line from bow to stern and have the Starboard Torpedo Bulge done....I am so very very greatful that the fit is so easy as I didnt want to do a waterline kit...

Best of luck tp everyone else assembling this masterpiece.... :shock: :evil:

Roman...Thanks ...Just thanks so much,......

John John

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
greetings people...
Im not hijacking this thread I just really really need some help with this kit..

I love this kit, its amazing and I am having the time of my life with it. I want to do it justice so Im trying to find railings for it. I have printed it out on 13x19 inch paper scaled up by 170% which means I think its in 1/144 scale...But I cannot find any railings. The double sided printing is a great idea but, I think it could only be my own fault, its not centered properly so nothing overlaps properly for the canvas covered railings...anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks John John

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
greetings people...
Im not hijacking this thread I just really really need some help with this kit..

I love this kit, its amazing and I am having the time of my life with it. I want to do it justice so Im trying to find railings for it. I have printed it out on 13x19 inch paper scaled up by 170% which means I think its in 1/144 scale...But I cannot find any railings. The double sided printing is a great idea but, I think it could only be my own fault, its not centered properly so nothing overlaps properly for the canvas covered railings...anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks John John

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
John John, try printing the rails on inkjet printer transparency film. See the "Tufor" and "Helena" threads to see how the railings look installed.

Darwin

Sep 26, 2005
Idaho Falls, ID
John John, try printing the rails on inkjet printer transparency film. See the "Tufor" and "Helena" threads to see how the railings look installed.

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
hmmm...thanks for that option...Ill see what happens,

IM looking into a set in brass that is special for a 1/144 Arizona...but I only need the railings....

thanks John john

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
hmmm...thanks for that option...Ill see what happens,

IM looking into a set in brass that is special for a 1/144 Arizona...but I only need the railings....

thanks John john

191pedram

Apr 12, 2007
looking for battle ship map and instruction

hello
please guide me how can i take map and instruction files of battle ship
such as missouri or uss arizona aufortunatly in iran i can't buy any of them
if it's possible mail to "najedy_b@yahoo.com"
best regards