Digital Navy’s Oslabya

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by Ajax, Aug 7, 2004.

1. busyguy

busyguy Member

Ummm, thanks for the kind comments guys. I mainly went into detail because I know Ajax is also worried about this stage and thought he'd appreciate seeing someone else's mistakes first.
  2. Maurice

Maurice Member

Brilliant design, brilliant builds, being watched with great interest.

Now I wonder if there's any truth in the rumour going around that it was the many deficiencies of that freebie model (discovered after it was first found by Richard a couple of years ago) that inspired Roman to treat the subject so adequately.

Cheers
    Maurice

(Mind you, I only just started that rumour. :D )
  3. DN

DN Member

Supposedly, there is some truth in every rumor...
    But seriously, I didn't know about the freebie when I was designing Oslabya. Had I known... :roll:
    You guys are doing excellent job with your models.
  4. Maurice

Maurice Member

Thanks Roman. The only truth in this rumour is that I was just being curious. :D

Cheers
    Maurice
  5. busyguy

busyguy Member

Funnels and little bits

Well, been busy this week, but managed to get some more work done on Oslabya. He's looking more like a ship now. Actually has some guns mounted (some of his light deck guns). The only problem I had was that I forgot to put in the other part 60b, (the boat support) that goes under the boat deck before I attached the boat deck. It just ment wiggling it in between the posts, but it was a bit awkward. That's what I get for getting ahead of myself. The ladders went together well, as did the little framework tower.

Borrowed an idea from someone else on that. I followed Mr. Detnya's instructions on his website about delicate work like that with one exception. Before cutting it out, I stiffened the paper by giving the back a couple of light coats of clear flat acrylic. It really helped hold the paper together and made the piece much easier to work.
  6. busyguy

busyguy Member

Funnels and little bits

In the meantime I'm still working on the deck guns. By the way, two of them show in the diagrams and pictures as being mounted on the aft end of the boat deck in the quarter circle areas to the far port and starboard, though there are no circle spots indicated on the part for them. After the deck guns are done, it's on to the main mast, then the bridge and fore mast.
  7. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Well, busyguy, you've been true to your name...a lot has taken place since the last update, I see. :D

Those stacks came out superb, and the boat deck details are just amazing work. :shock: She's coming along great...can't wait until my CD arrives from Roman so I can follow along on the diagrams and parts sheets...instructions? who uses instructions anyway? :lol:

Great photos!! Thanks!

Jim
  8. Ajax

Ajax Member

Excellent work, BG!

I completely agree with Jim, those funnels look great! And the ventilators too! And the rear compass platform! And the searchlights! And the ladders (how do manage to get the steps so straight???) And the deck guns! And the -- well I think you get the idea! :lol:

Thanks for the photos!

AJ
  9. jrts

jrts Active Member

WOW

We have just got to have more photos of this :D
    Fantastic work and can't wait fort the rest :shock:

Regards

Rob
  10. DN

DN Member

Excellent job Busyguy. Yeah, there are two mounting locations for the guns missing on the boat deck :oops: But I'm sure you will figure it out where to put them - see my pictures.
  11. Jim Krauzlis

Oh Boy, oh boy!! :lol:
    Giddy as a youngin' in a candy store with a pocket full of change!

Roman's CD on Oslabya just came in today's mail (REAL fast, Roman, thanks!), and I am floored by this superb model. :D I'm still looking it over, but I can't wait until I get back to the office on Monday (WHAT?!? Are you Mad??) to print it out and study it during my commute. No, I won't do that on company time...nope...no way...well, maybe a little peak. :lol:

Extraordinary work, Roman!
    Thanks!

Now I have a sense of the excitement AJ and busyboy convey in thier posts in building this beauty.

Rob, I'd wager you had a fleeting thought after having built Yamato and while now working on that GPM Missouri that you wished Roman designed a Missouri model too, huh? That thought sure crossed my mind...wonder if Roman has considered this...(hint, hint) :wink:
    Or, maybe Rob, you might take a crack at it with all that redesigning you had to do with the GPM version? Do I hear "joint venture" in the air? :D

Jim
  12. barry

barry Active Member

Busyguy

It's a very beautiful model, I wish mine looked as cleanly built as that.

Jim

I am glad your birthday present to yourself made you so happy and hope it will while away the boredom of commuting (gave that up years ago)

barry

barry
  13. DN

DN Member

Hi Jim
    Glad you like the design. Thanks to busyboy’s extraordinary effort, a huge weight fell off my shoulders - it can be built :eek: by somebody else, not just me :wink:
    As for the Missouri, here is a true story:
    15 years ago, when still in Poland, I decided to give it a shot and design a card model. What did I choose as a subject - USS Missouri. I got my drafting pens and table ready (computers were still stuff from Star Wars for us back then), and I plunged into this daunting enterprise.
    I managed to draw the deck - very precisely and meticulously, but that was it :oops: So this subject has been hovering over me since then, but so are so many others....
  14. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Jim

Yes it did cross my mind with regard to Roman doing it.
    But he must have that much to do with all the requests for models it would be hard to choose what to do next.
    Roman only dropped a wink on HOOD and got pounced on for the model :lol:
    If I had to choose what model I would like Roman to do next I don't think I could the list would be so big and I would want them all at the top of the list :lol: Although a nice IJN carrier to go with the rest of the fleet would be great :idea:

It would be GOOD to see a Roman Missouri though :roll:
    Busyguys build does the design real credit, its a fantastic looking model :shock:

I look forward to the commissioning ceremony

Regards

Rob
  15. busyguy

busyguy Member

I'm not dead! (Yet)

Well, I haven't had much time for hobbies lately. Family emergencies (daughters car was totaled by a hail storm), family trips, and other real life events has seriously cut in to my liesure time. Nonetheless I have made some progess on Oslabya. The secondary bridge and mainmast area has been completed and I've finished the bridge and begun work on the foremast.
  16. Jim Krauzlis

Hi, BG! :D

I hear you about family emergencies... I hope it was nothing serious.
    I've had my share the last two days...my wife in a car accident, my daughter spraining her ankle hopping around like a bunny, a touch of broncitis for me any my wife, oh, it's been fun. :(

Nevertheless, what time you have been able to find to relax and work on your ship has resulted in some great progress. She is looking great! :D

Hope all on the home front is okay and, when you get the chance, we always look forward to more updates, but there are priorities, of course.

Wishing you all the best,

Jim
  17. barry

barry Active Member

One word FANTASTIC

barry
  18. FlintknapperGene

FlintknapperGene New Member

Hi All
    Well, here I am, brand-new to this and utterly charmed; wandered over from stick&tissue flying models (and previous to that: ship modeling, full-size boatbuilding, Renaissance music, who knows what else--I tend to find new things pretty regularly; y'know, they say every seven years your cells change, and--hmm, maybe this time I can pinpoint the date it happens, ahve a little ceremony with a few close friends, get the old cells bronzed?)
    Anyway: I'm now waiting for my CD to arrive from DN and will be starting my own. If I come up with anything fun you'll see it here.
    FlitknapperGene
  19. busyguy

busyguy Member

STILL building Oslabya

Well, despite dogs, disasters, dentists and democracy, I have managed to squeeze some time into my hectic schedule to do some work on Oslabya. I made a promise to myself to have him finished by Christmas, and I'm still aiming to make that goal. Though sometimes it seems my family and the fates themselves are conspiring against me. Nonetheless, some shots to show my progress. I completed the bridge and foremast, and added in both the fore and aft main battery turrets. Also a litte oopsie. I should have put the forward turret in BEFORE installing the bridge. The overhang of the bridge, with the height of the turret ring, makes it impossible to do otherwise. Eh, it was easy enough to fix. Just trimmed down the turret ring. Still, this is what I get for merrily working away and not bothering to read the directions. I must say though, the turrets are real little gems, the fit of the pieces is just so precise it was amazing.
  20. Jim Krauzlis

Very, very nice, BG! :D

I'd say you'll have this done well before Christmas.

Please post more photos, this beauty needs more exposure! :lol:

Cheers!

Jim