Diesel, Steam, or Electric? (or Other???)

Diesel, Steam, Electric, or Other?

• Diesel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steam

• Electic

• Handcart

• Other

• Total voters

RailRon

Living in Switzerland means that I only see electrics (perhaps apart from very few diesel switchers).

Perhaps that's why I prefer diesel and steam on my layout - about 1:1 on the standard gauge division. My H0n3 narrow gauge line obviously is running almost steam-only, apart from one single Galloping Goose (running on gas instead of diesel fuel).

Ron

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
For me right now it is diesels. Only because I am modeling the Chessie System Railroad, now when I go to model the Pennsylvania Railroad I will be switching to steam engines.

Gary Pfeil

I use all 3 too, tho my electrics run crappy so are mostly decorations. Here's one sitting on the spur outside the shops. Modelling 1950 NYC, with modelers license!

Attachments

• P1010568Ajpg.jpg
    P1010568Ajpg.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 67

shaygetz

Gary Pfeil said:
I use all 3 too, tho my electrics run crappy so are mostly decorations. Here's one sitting on the spur outside the shops. Modelling 1950 NYC, with modelers license!

Awwww, Gary, me want, me want now...that is one sweet boxcab juice jack:thumb: I'm working on an ersatz one now made from a GG1 undercarriage...fired me all up anew with that pic.:thumb:

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Gary Pfeil said:

..... I need that. is that one of your projects, or did you buy them from somewhere?

If its electric, i'll buy it. that has been the source of my buying problem.

Gary Pfeil

Thanks Shaygetz. Chris, it is a brass model of a NYC P motor. The only decal set available for it is the solid black scheme. I wanted lightning stripes, so worked with a custom decal maker. I sent him prototype photos, and supplied measurements of the model. He sent me a file of artwork which I printed on plain paper and taped to the unpainted model to check for fit. Some tweaking resulted, and I had my custom decals. The stripes were a bear to apply around the hand grabs!

Attachments

• P1010341jpg.jpg
    P1010341jpg.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 52

Coastie

I like the diesel the best but I also like the Steam. You can have a Diesel layout with steam as show engines, like the Southern RR had.

Gary:

That P-motor really brings alive a sense of history for me. I commute daily to and from Manhattan for work, and I drive by a lof of places where those NYC 3rd-rail electrics used to rule (Harlem river, Marble Hill, Spuyten Duyvil, etc.). These days we see stuff like Budd M-1s, Bombardier M-7s and GE P32AC-DMs running off that same 3rd rail (which are all beauties in their own right), but it's easy to imagine those NYC electrics in their place all those years ago.

SWEET! :thumb:

Relic

I was going to go sream, even bought one{PC Yard Bull}turned out it was my one ond probably only new engine. I somehow got it in my head{there's lots of room}that all those moving parts would end up causing me grief since I am somewhat ham-handed at times. SOOO now I have a "fleet"{eight} of first generation deisels. no regrets

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Wow! Steam just overtook diesel in the poll after a long commanding lead by the newer technology! :)
Ralph

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Ralph said:
Wow! Steam just overtook diesel in the poll after a long commanding lead by the newer technology! :)
Ralph
Actually, I believe Steam and Diesel were running pretty much neck and neck for awhile. Diesel was ahead buy a little but I wouldn't call it comanding or anything. ;)

I just want to know who voted handcart. :D

steamhead

Steam is king on the LC&P although there are a couple of UP diesels skulking about (SD-7 & GP-20). The Jeep was a Christmas gift from way back when they ruled the rails so even if it is out of my era, it's not going anywhere!