Diesel fuel and sand facility

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
I posted this in the photography thread, but in hindsight it probably should have gone here:

Well, as I begin to build my layout, I have an area dedicated to a diesel fuel and sand area. I was wondering if anyone had good detail shots of prototype or model diesel service areas. I have the Stewart cast metal fuel and sand models, but I will probably kitbash or scratchbuild what I need.

I really need shots showing track layout and spacing, plus shots of the necessary equipment (fuel cranes, sand towers, etc.). I would love to get my hands on a snyder fuel crane, in n scale, but I guess I'll have to scratch build that item. Any photos, diagrams or links would be appreciated. I have the room, but I need to draw up a realistic plan.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Eric

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Thanks Summit! I really like the character of the sand tower and facilities. My layout plan is for a New England shortline and tourist railroad, operating on trackage from a former larger railroad (NH). Thanks again for sharing those shots!

Eric

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Eric,
I deleted your dup post in Photography for you.
The Trainweb link by Summit is a good one to look at.
shamus

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think Kalmbach published a book last year on engine facilities and lineside details for both steam and diesel. I don't remember the title off hand, but it is probably under $20 and would probably give some good ideas.

Summit

May 12, 2003
Elko, NV
www.trainweb.org
Both Carstens and Kalmbach have released books in the past couple years about yards and locomotive servicing facilities. I have seen both of them, and (my opinion only) the Carstens book is a lot better than the Kalmback one.

The Carstens book is Locomotive Terminals & Railroad Structures (ISBN 911868-98-4). This book does have a lot of shortline terminals featured in it's pages.

Hope this helps.

Summit
Elko, NV

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
That's a great reference shot Brakie! That's the look I'm going for.

Russ and Summit: Thanks for the book references. I'll have to check them out. They will also be useful for the museum restoration facility (shop), I'm planning. Thanks again Gaugers!

I don't post a lot here or on other forums, but the Gauge is the best. That's why I check in every day.

Eric

racedirector

Apr 4, 2004
Oz-stralia
australianspeedway.com
Originally posted by Summit
Both Carstens and Kalmbach have released books in the past couple years about yards and locomotive servicing facilities. I have seen both of them, and (my opinion only) the Carstens book is a lot better than the Kalmback one.

The Carstens book is Locomotive Terminals & Railroad Structures (ISBN 911868-98-4). This book does have a lot of shortline terminals featured in it's pages.

Hope this helps.

Summit
Elko, NV
Interesting comments. I was looking at buying either one of these but haven't decided yet. Does the Carstens one have plans for scratchbuilding or is it just a "information" book? Oh, and does it have any turntables in it?

Side Note: While buying things via the web is convenient, the bugger is you can't usually see inside things likes books. Makes the decision process harder. :(

Cheers
Bruce

Summit

May 12, 2003
Elko, NV
www.trainweb.org
Carstens book is a combination of information and scratchbuilding, often both covered in the same feature. Drawings, photos, and written information all included. The Kalmbach book is a little bit more professional looking, but in my opinion the Carstens book is much more valuable to the modeler.

Three turntables are covered in the book, Texas & New Orleans 90-ft and SP "Gallows" style. Photos of many more turntables are included.

Hope this helps...my recommendation is to get the Carstens one...I don't have anything against the Kalmbach book, but every time I have picked it up in a hobby shop my reaction has been "Gee, that's nice..." then I put it back.

Summit
Elko, NV

racedirector

Apr 4, 2004
Oz-stralia
australianspeedway.com
Originally posted by Summit
Carstens book is a combination of information and scratchbuilding, often both covered in the same feature. Drawings, photos, and written information all included. The Kalmbach book is a little bit more professional looking, but in my opinion the Carstens book is much more valuable to the modeler.

Three turntables are covered in the book, Texas & New Orleans 90-ft and SP "Gallows" style. Photos of many more turntables are included.

Hope this helps...my recommendation is to get the Carstens one...I don't have anything against the Kalmbach book, but every time I have picked it up in a hobby shop my reaction has been "Gee, that's nice..." then I put it back.

Summit
Elko, NV
Thanks Summit

That's the book for me then...

Cheers
Bruce

pomperaugrr

May 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Thanks for the photos and the information. I found the Kalmbach book at the LHS (if 25 miles away is local) and it is not bad. The photos and the Snyder link are a big help. The fun part is going to be having to scratchbuild a snyder fuel crane in N scale! This is a detail part I sure could use about now. My service area will be at the front of the layout to show detail, so I want to get this rigt. Thanks for the help!.

Eric