Diesel Engine Type

C

Catt

The Centennial I believe is a DD40.Basically a pair of GP40s on one frame and in one car body.

K.V.Div

May 10, 2001
Shawnigan Lake, B.C. Canada
Visit site
The Centennial is also known as the DD-A-40X, which means that it rides on "D Trucks" (4 axles, 8 wheels per truck) which gives it 16 wheels.
"A" means that it has a cab, unlike the earlier DD 35 which was a cabless booster and, as Catt said, it was two GP40's mounted on a very long frame and was rated at 6600 horsepower.
Cheers.

Terry

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
CATT and Terry;

Thanks very much. I appreciate it. I think someone makes a model of it because I recall that you have to have minimum 22" radius curves or soimething like that to run it. I can see why with trucks of that size and basically a double length loco.

Again, many thanks.

Bob

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Bob, At one time Athearn made an HO model of the DD-40. You could get it in a single motor or dual motor version. Don't know if they still make it but every once in a while I'll see one for sale at a trainshow or swapmeet.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
According to a web site I found, the "Centennial" was Union Pacific's #6936, a DD40AX. Here are some links with pictures:

http://railroadnews.net/picture/up6936.html
http://www.trainweb.org/jlsrr/pictures/full-scale/portola/assorted/portola assorted.htm

Bachmann shows both N-scale and HO-scale models of the DD40AX (although not #6936) in their online catalog. Below are links to pictures of the models. It looks like someone vandalized the N-scale pic! The HO-scale model is in their Spectrum series.

http://www.bachmann-trains.com/asp/productdetails?itemnum=11456
http://www.bachmann-trains.com/asp/productdetails?itemnum=81307

The Centennial was made just for the Union Pacific. It was similar to the DD35, which was essentially to GP35s welded together. The Southern Pacific owned some DD35s, including B units.

UP 6936 is the last surviving centennial of the fleet UP has made to celebrate their 100th year of operation. EMD made 43 of them and now only one is left, pulling passenger trains and other special events.

Attachments

• up 6900.jpg
    up 6900.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 133
Bachmann is the only N scale maker apart from the Brass importers. Not sure about anything done in HO, although I have seen locos sitting is store displays.

Above photo was UP 6900 - the first.
Below is UP 6900 at the unveiling of the model.

Attachments

• up 6900b.jpg
    up 6900b.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 130
Some of the DD40s were placed in storage at Las Vegas circa 1975-1985 for any Horsepower problems that UP had. They were brought out occasionally but were eventually scrapped.

UP 6941 and 6935 at the end of their useful lives waiting for the end.

Attachments

• up 6941-6935.jpg
    up 6941-6935.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 119

justind

Jul 8, 2001
Provo, UT, USA
Wow, pretty cool...due to their size I would have expected them to have a longer serviceable life span...but maybe the size only contributed to their demise. Simply too much upkeep on a loco that size, especially if smaller ones can out perfrom her. Still a beautiful loco, and one I would like to run, but couldn't on my 18" radius.

Bob Collins

Feb 1, 2001
Council Bluffs, IA
Visit site
So do I understand correctly that the SP DD35 is a cabless version of the DD40? Not knowing the dates on the pix posted I wanted to ask if the DD40 is still operational on the UP?

Itoo have taken a liking to this engine, but it raises a question too. If there is a model that has two engines will I need two decoders to use DCC?

Thanks again for all the great info.

Bob

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Bob: you shouldn't need 2 decoders for twin motors but you will want to check the amperage capacity.

I seem to remember that the Athearn model was released before the prototype. The model was a DD40 and the UP bought DDA40. Some detail differences but I don't remember what.

DD35B would be a different loco, based on SD35 instead of SD40? The ~B indicates a cabless powered unit.