diesel engine sizes...

NCMRailroad

Hi all...
Instead of asking some model railroad hobby shop this question, I thought i would ask here in the GAUGE instead!
I have a few tight radiuses on my layout and can run, with ease, a Switcher (Proto 2000 ALCO S-3) on it. I believe my tightest radius is aprox. 15" but no smaller.
Even though I am basically modelling steam (3 truck shay) I would like to give something a bit bigger than the ALCO mentioned above in DIESEL a try.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
NCMRailroad:thumb:

Russ Bellinis

I think a gp7 or 9, gp20, gp30, gp35, & gp40, for Alcos rs1,2,&3, rs11 will work on the 15 inch radius. A rsd4/5 might work, I'm not sure how long the trucks are on those. Emd f units and Alco fa will work on 15 inch radius.

toptrain1

Russ hit the nail on the head. If you want your locomotives to access the complete layout and you have 15" radius turns or use #4 turnouts. Keep your diesels down to 2 axel trucks. In steam 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 switchers with blind center drivers.
toptrain

NCMRailroad

Thank you fellas for the advice. The shay I am currently running on my layout works well but becomes rather oh hum after awhile. This gives me a better scope on what I can run on my layout. Thanks again!
NCMRailroad :)