Did you get the flu, too?

Just came back from the emergency room, was so violently sick I dehydrated and needed an I.V. to stop the muscles that locked up. Wife was sick yesterday, daughter the day before. This weather (pittsburgh) is making us all sick. How are things in your city?

N

nachoman

yuck. The weather here is mid 70s, sunny...

BTW, I noticed your daughter was sick first. My parents used to tell me they never got sick before they had kids. I rarely get sick until I went to grad school in utah and many of my fellow students brought their kids to class or to the lab. Bless their little hearts, but I guess that is why parents fuss so much about getting their kids to use tissues and take baths :)

Kevin

sick kid

You guessed right, she was in daycare on Thursday, and sick on Fri & Sat. We have no choice but daycare 2 days a week, but it is a cold/flu/snot factory.

ezdays

Out AZ way
We haven't been as violently sick as this, but my wife and I have been passing some bug back and forth for the past two months. I guess the older you get the less resistance you have and the longer it takes to get over even a simple cold.

And yes, it is in the 70's here this week, but I think it's going to take some 100+ days to be able to get it out of our systems completely. Yeah, I never thought I'd be looking forward to those 110 degree days, but we never seem to get sick in the summertime, maybe because no virus can stand the heat, and like the snowbirds that spend the winters here, they head back to the east and up north.:rolleyes: :twisted:

kf4jqd

That's why I got the flu shoots this year. In years past, I've gotten so sick that is took months for me to get fully recovered.

Andy

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Never taken a flu shot. Never will. I strongly believe that a decent diet and regular exercise is a big key instaving off common viral infections. Good hygiene during this time of the year such as constantly washing your hands also helps. The one year I did get a flu shot, I picked up the Norwalk Virus. That was no friggin picnic. Thing is, while other people I knew who picked up were sick for days, I recovered within 24 hours.

I like to keep my body as clean as possible, drink 3-4 liters of water a day and prefer to let it do its natural job and fight off most infections without any drugs or antibiotics. Drug and Pharmacutical companies are making a killing off of our society's need for a quick fix. Cough medicines don't do squat for a cold, and in fact in most cases, slow down your bodies ability to recover quickly. They dope you up so you can pass out. EVentually, your body adapts to them anyways, and they stop working. I used to for a time take NyQuil whenever I got a cold, except one year a while ago, I found out it just wasn't working anymore. You'd be better off taking a sugar pills or something.

I also under dress during the winter months to help my body aclimate to the colder temps. Most of the winter I wear a warm thick hoodie w/ long sleeves underneath. I only dress warmly when the mercury really drops. I think the worse thing you can do is get all bundled up, hop in your car drive for an hour, sweat, then get back out in the freezing temps all soaked. It causes your body to go into a type of shock. I rather stay comfortably cool then over heat anyday.

Sorry for the speach. My 2 cents, take it or leave it.

Christopher62

All sorts of viruses making the rounds here in the metro Detroit area. Someone is either getting it, has it, or just got over it. I was blessed with a head cold for Christmas that morphed into bronchitis for the New Year. No sooner did that clear up when fate decided to smite me with an attack of gouty arthritis in the wrist. (Gouty arthritis! I'm only 45!) You cannot begin to appreciate that particular discomfort unless you've experienced it. Now, half-way into Ferbruary, I'm finally starting to feel normal.

Go Big1

Given the wild weather we have been having in the Chicago area, I actually would have thought it to be a worse cold/flu season than it has been. Don't get me wrong, there have been a lot of people that I know that have come down with a bad cold, flu or both. But I can recall recent winters when entire schools were shut down because so many kids were out with the flu, and to my knowledge, that has not happened this year.

On the home front, I had a mild case of bronchitis for about 3-4 weeks in late November/early December. All 3 of my kids (ages 2,4 & 6) have, fingers crossed, been quite healthy so far this winter!

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
I have never had the flu since I have been taking flu shots. This has been 15 years and the same for my wife. Prior to the shot I we would get the flu every year and pretty bad.

I can't afford to get the flu (life threating event) so I strongly recommend the flu shot even though it will not help with every type it is a good safe helper.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I passed on the flu shot for years...and then last year I got the flu. It was awful. I got the shot this year. :)
Ralph

I cant go near seringes, so no flu shots for me hehe. I got a little sick. mostly a sore throat and a little cough. Nothing too serious. What really has been kicking my butt is the allergies. My nose was like a water fosset, continuously running for like a month. But im finally over it. I was working on an articulated Atlas car and i knocked it off the table when i sneezed :(

weather

Seems like you guys in the warmer weather are doing much better than us icebergs. Baby vomited and diarrhea all night again. :cry:

Go Big1

Sorry to hear about your baby csx. After having 3 kids, I've "been there, done that" with the kids having the flu. It's a momentus occasion when your child gets old enough to learn to puke in a bucket or in the toilet. Up til that point, my wife and I pretty much split duties - I cleaned the area where the puking occurred, and my wife cleaned up the kid. With my youngest at 2, I'm not quite out of the woods yet...