Did you all enjoy the Photo Contest

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Shamus,
There is no question that the contest was worth while :) .
I got a lot of pleasure from each and every entry. I didn't comment on any entries as they were posted partly to save server space but more so that I wasn't patronising some and ignoring others. All, (and I mean ALL) entries were worth putting in as it showed the whole spectrum of what each entrant has in mind and their level of skills. The quality of the photos were, to me, less important because I know the models have crisp edges.
With such a variety of entries, I'm sure everyone got ideas for their own layouts, I certainly did! (and I'm going to pinch them :D :D )

Woodie made a great suggestion for "theme" contests. Although a nominated theme might not fit into one's own layout it prompts members to create dioramas and by doing so can develope skills we don't even know we have. (Good thinking there Woodie :) )

I personally thank you Shamus for the effort you put into organising and administering these contests and thanks also to to you Dave Hagan for authorising the use of extensive server space.

Errol

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Gang, might I add a big thanks also to all that entered. The POLL will close 14 days from the time it opened.

Woodie, I think you just might have something with your idea for the next one, I will sort i]that out soon.

Thanks Mike for the offer of webspace.

Shamus

gerry m

Aug 8, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada
Visit site
Thanks Shamus

Thanks Shamus for all the work administering the photo contest. I too enjoyed all the great photos and second the motion to do it again!

I would like to improve my digital photo-taking ability on my N-scale layout and seeing all the great contest posts gives me a lot of inspiration, ideas, and photo-composition tips. I think the contest has definitely raised the bar on model layout photography and RR modeling.

I think that narrowing the subject matter next time and using thumbnails when voting are good suggestions.

Looking forward to the next contest...

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Shamus,
Outstanding !!! Yes, it was difficult picking one out of all the photos entered. The "theme" idea might help to make chosing easier, but I doubt it.
There was a wide range of modeling/photographic skill, but each entry had something about it which made it stand out. The precision of detail, or the "mood" of the scene, or the "story" the picture told, or the memories the picture rekindled.
I do think this would rate another go, I don't see a problem with the one vote poll. Some thought on how often,, With three catagories, it would be a quarterly contest in a sense. Maybe, with the work required to put it on, it should be semiannual, to allow for new projects, and to give you a break. Which brings me to saying thanks for the effort that went into having this contest.
Pete

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Great Idea

Got to do it again. I liked all the pictures everyone posted.I think a theme oriented contest would be a great idea. It was hard for me to pick one myself(and it wasn't my own), but it gave me something to shoot for in the future.

WINNERS

What can I add to everyones comments, except that as a result of this project, we are all WINNERS...

Thank you Shamus for all the time and effort you put into this project. It lends to the Gauge the spirit of competetiveness, and to us newbies it gives us something to shoot at..If I may coin and old but true phrase, "a picture is worth a thousand words." :) :)

PS, with much frustration at having to make the decision I cast my vote, I would of been proud of every one of those pictures, there is so much creativity and artistic ability, not to mention much hard work that went into those models. Everyone that entered is to be congraulated.

Maby next time we could have best in catagory of several catagories, and maby a 2nd and 3rd runner up. Well that's probably easier said than done.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
More More MORE!!!!! :)

Awesome stuff Shamus!!! Please do it again!! :D

I thought you uploaded the pics to the Gauge.. But if you dont, I have about 10 - 15 Meg I can donate. Send e-mail :D

And about the TOO Many GREAT Pics, :) :) :) I not only did Not vote for myself, I voted for someone I thought I wouldn't vote for.. Great pics, VERRRY hard to choose just one....

How about setting a 4 - 5 day deadline for the "first round" voting. Then start a 5 - 7 day elimination round where you "reset" the poll to just the top 5 or 6 and then let us vote for 2??? That way we can pick 2 out of the 6 and 2 weeks total from the close of the contest, we have a winner...
~~ Mikey

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Re: More More MORE!!!!! :)

Originally posted by N Gauger
Awesome stuff Shamus!!! Please do it again!!

How about setting a 4 - 5 day deadline for the "first round" voting. Then start a 5 - 7 day elimination round where you "reset" the poll to just the top 5 or 6 and then let us vote for 2??? That way we can pick 2 out of the 6 and 2 weeks total from the close of the contest, we have a winner...
~~ Mikey

Thanks for the offer of webspace, I might take you up on that later.
As for the POLL, it will just have to run it's merry way for now. Closes soon.

Shamus

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
Late but here....
Each of the shots; be they clear, blurry, or the lighting off;
gave me something. That is; If I were to visit with each of you,
would be to have directions to the place of the photo op.
Each shared what you each see the world as, or would
like it to be. That is much like a Fishermen showing you his
sweet spot, or a Racecar Driver teaching the best way
around the track.
Enough of the sap...:rolleyes:

All great!!!
Deciding SUCKED!!!:( :rolleyes:

Let's do it again!

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Glad you all enjoyed it and to know that it really was worth the effort.
The next one after the "Prototype Contest" is "MAGIC PHOTO contest"

Shamus