Did you all enjoy the Photo Contest

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well, thats the first one over, have you voted yet??

Want to know if you thought it went well, and was it all really worth the effort. In other words, do you all want to do it again soon.

Need to know who else has a website to help me with the photo uploads, my site is getting a little full at the moment.

Shamus

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Shamus, maybe you could limit each contest to X (5 or 6?) entries - it would certainly make it easier to decide - I could have voted at least 5 different for #1 on this one - and maybe help on your web space problem.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I think it was great because we got to see photos from some folk who hadn't previously posted. And some of those shots were excellant! Shamus, for us it was definately worth it, you did all the work! Thank you. Was it worth it for you? As the others said, the hardest part was selecting one. I could only narrow it down to three. After that, it seemed a shame that two had to be eliminated. I really enjoyed both looking at the posts of others and the challenge of composing a worthy shot myself. I hope you, or another volunteer, will host another round of contests in the future.

Gary

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
I realise it was difficult to vote for just one, but a decision has to be made. The POLL was the only possible way to make if fair, i.e. one member - one vote.

If you can think of another way to vote on the 21 photographs that have been submitted and get just one clear winner or even a tie for first then I would be only to pleased to let you do it.

If the POLL isn't going to work on this comp, it won't do on any other comp we have so please vote.
Shamus

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Shamus -

I thought the photo contest was fantastic!

I got to see a lot of great shots, and also got some ideas that I might do on my layout.

Making a choice was difficult, but that's real life, folks!
I think the poll was the way to go - and you also see who finished second, third, etc.

My only thought was to put thumbnail photos in the voting poll (everyone should have seen the "original" in the contest thread, so should only need a "reminder" for the vote). Might help save on some space (or not, depending on how you store and recall images).

Thanks for all the work, Shamus ... and thanks to all the submiters for some fantastic images!

I look forward to the phototype contest results, and hope these types of contests continue so that I can submit a layout photo once mine is photo-worthy (much work to do after the move)! I think it can "spur" one on to a better layout.

Well, that's my opinion, and I didn't even bring in the RI (...oops!).

- George

I enjoyed it very much, Shamus. If nothing else, it shows there are some darned good modelers on this forum who are also pretty handy with a camera.

Like everyone else, I had a hard time choosing. For a couple of weeks, I had 3 favorites; then my list grew to 4. What to do.... what to do....

I'm in favor of having another go at it. Just say when.

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
YES. Let do it again.

I had fun, trying to learn how to use a camera. I'm still learning.

All the pic's are great. I had a hard time trying to pick one, but I understand the reasons. Same format as last time is fine with me.

Shamus, THANK YOU for your time spent on this. THANKS to everyone who posted a pic. I think everyone enjoyed this.

I do not have a website, but I'm willing to help if I can.

Marty

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Shamus thank you for all your work, time and server space. I hope someone here who has web space can be of help. I enjoyed it very much and regardless of who gets the most votes I think everybody is a winner. The ones that entered are all winners for doing so (for some it was the very first time, so new ground was broken! :cool: ) , and the ones that didn't also are winners cause they got to enjoy all that great eye candy!

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I also thought the photo contest was great; and I didn't even vote for the one that I thought I would when I saw them all together. I can't think of a single thing I'd change, it's great to see photographs from a *LOT* of the members.

PS - I've got plenty of webspace room, more than I could ever know what to do with. PM me offline and we can discuss how I can be of assistance.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
It was fun...
I did voice some sceptisism at the outset, but maybe I was wrong...
I found it to be challenging, & it was great to see so much excellent modeling, & photography by all the different folks who entered!
Thanks Shamus, for all your time & efforts in putting this together!:)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Contests like this are always fun and I think the poll is the best way to get results. I know that on another forum, the moderators had to vote but that excluded them from the contest. They have gone to the poll method and it seems the best for now.
I didn't enter as I still don't have a decent digital camera but I sure enjoyed checking out all the entries. Thanks guys!

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Yeah, Shamus that was a good idea. To all of you that entered I offer my congratulations. You are all wonderful modelers and I love seeing your work! Someday I too look forward to posting a picture of my own and joining you in such a contest. I have no illusions about winning - just being included in the gallery would be good for a case of the warm-and-fuzzies.

Keep up the great work!

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Yeah. Lots of good piccies!:D Perhaps the next one could be a little more specific. ie. Bridge, or structure, or "broad view" such as must contain loco and 4 or more carraiges etc. Or doesn't matter what it is, the pic must have a turnout somewhere in it , or "after dark" .... some sort of criteria. Wadda youse all reckon?

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Loved It!

What a great contest! Like eveyone else, I had a VERY tough time picking only one.

A BIG round of thanks to Shamus for all his work, and to everyone who entered. Makes me want to be ready the next time this comes around.:)

...And remember...here on "The Gauge", there are NO losers. Only winners with no prizes.:p :D