Did Santa bring some goodies?

Drew

Dec 27, 2000
Visit site
Gregg, the clock's the one that whistles on the hour, right? Been there - done that.
biggrin.gif

I've got the magnets too. We use them to hang stuff on the family bulliten board, sometimes known as the refridgerator
wink.gif

Yep, those magnets are on the fridge, were lucky that it doesn't roll away. The clock, one Whistles and one makes the bell sound of a railway crossing. I don't mind the bells and whistles on the layout but on the wall and every hour, thank god for batteries. Drew next christmas should be interesting again, i keep wondering if my santas will run out of the nic-nacs
wink.gif
but someone always comes up with something new
smile.gif

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Railery and Drew, you guys are right on the money.

For years I recieved train theme gifts from the family that had nothing to do with the exact train theme's that interested me. Conveniently, some got lost in moves. Most have been worked into the decor of the train room.

The wierdest one in recent years came from a gorgeous woman I wouldn't say no to. For my birthday about seven years ago, she presented me with one of those stupid Trollkin dolls, revived from the 60's. It's about 4-5 inches in height with a conductors cap, overalls and a lantern. Yes, it has that silly face and long hair too. I was graceous, thanked and praised her for her thoughtfulness, as we all should do. And she seemed quite pleased with herself as well! Afterwards, I grumbled to myself in private; "What the bloody ding-dong am I going to do with this retarded thing since she'll be back and looking for what I did with it!?!"

I placed the doll on top of an oak railroad clock, next to a sterling teapot from the New York Central, and a few other knick knacks. When I unpacked after the last move, I came across it and it was my big chance to give it the coup de grace! To my own surprise, I quietly and tenderly restored it to it's place on top of the clock by the teapot. You see, these things can grow on you sometimes. You will get over the shock of what it is, and associate the object as a kind gesture from someone you like, who thought enough about you...And TRIED.

Santa's best for getting your trains. I'm lucky enough to have a wife who enjoys the hobby and has wheeled and dealed extensively over the years, including making some brass purchases unknown to me. Get what you want for yourself, and lower your expectations of others around you. That's probably a good overall lesson for life. This way, you will never be disappointed, and you will be able to enjoy and even laugh at the strange things the infidels come up with!

Remember, there aren't very many train stores around that the masses know of, and most people have never seen a train magazine, nor would even have the first clue of what to buy from it's pages. One year, my mother gave me a load of inexpensive freight cars that you wouldn't get upset with if they hit the floor and shattered. She didn't know from Athearn, and found them at Christmas time in a Toys R Us. I was delighted at the thought, and will use them to experiment with weathering!

Enjoy that noisy clock that looks fit for a three year olds room. Soon enough like my silly little troll, you won't trade it for anything in the world.
smile.gif

George.

BobMcD

Dec 27, 2000
Boston MA, USA
Visit site
Good advice, George.

After several years of giving me railroad kitsch, my mom-in-law asked my wife what I'd REALLY like. My wife asked me on the sly. After determining her budget range, I passed the word through my wife that what I would REALLY like was a Rivarrosi locomotive (the Y6b, $35.95 in those days--early '70's).

Yep, she came through with it, and was thrilled with how much I enjoyed it. So was I, needless to say! So things can always get better. That sweet old gal made me one happy model railroader, and I never begrudged her an errand or a favor the rest of her life.

Bob

George

Jan 1, 2001
Visit site
Bob,
That's a healthy outlook. I think the neatest thing I ever got was a print of a Niagara hauling a Pacemaker freight along the Hudson. Like you, I asked mum and she came through, and had it put in a beautiful frame to boot!

Part of the problem is that some people can't bear to buy us what they might consider a toy. If you ask for something more along the lines of something they can relate to, you're better off. Next time, try asking for a train lantern or some kind of litho from an easily accessible catalogue.

George.

BobMcD

Dec 27, 2000
Boston MA, USA
Visit site
Good idea, George. In these days of online book stores, a book about your favorite prototype railroad is easily accessible to a relative--they just need to know what book or books you'd like. Books somehow seem OK for a present, even to a non-railroader.

Bob

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Just looking thru some of the old posts and came across this one, I too receive train trash each year, from people who really mean well. Occasionally it will be something nice and it goes on a shelf. More often, it winds up in the trash, after a suitable period of time. I now highlight anything I might like in the mail order ads in the magazines, all price ranges, from locos to figures. The first time I did so, my wife looked at me and said "you want all this!" I said no, I want to be surprised, so I selected a lot of stuff. Give the list to the rest of the family. This has worked really well. I suggested to my local hobby shop that he should offer a registry, like they have for wedding gifts. He laughed, but I still think its a great idea. Yes, the thought behind the gift has always been sincere, but what's wrong with actually getting something you want? I hate seeing money thrown away.

Gary