Dice and box

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
I wish we were neighbors, I have 3 routers, table saw, scroll saw, Band Saw, milling machine, 9" inch Back Gear South Bend Lathe, a bunch of rotary milling and indexing tables, Mig and Tig welder, but not one damned neighbor or friend to have fun with this stuff. Nobody around here likes to make stuff. :sadno:

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
The machines are too heavy, but you could use them anytime (once I knew you were proficient with them), and if not, I'd teach you how in minutes. :)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

ennder

Jul 26, 2008
I wish we were neighbors, I have 3 routers, table saw, scroll saw, Band Saw, milling machine, 9" inch Back Gear South Bend Lathe, a bunch of rotary milling and indexing tables, Mig and Tig welder, but not one damned neighbor or friend to have fun with this stuff. Nobody around here likes to make stuff. :sadno:

We were so poor when I was growing up.... if we wanted something... we had to make it our selves.
We did have a torch (propane/oxy) and an old gas powered Hobart generator/arc-welder. Oh... and a bench grinder.
The first lathe we made was from several old wooden fence posts and an old ford axle that broke when the bearings locked up.
We made lots of stuff, every thing from toys to garden tools. We worked on cars and equipment for the local farmers for
money and sometimes for livestock or feed. I have never had the opportunity to use a milling machine, or rotary and indexing tables.
I have read enough about them that I think I know the basics. (He said just before his hand gets ripped from his body). ;)

Reactions: Cybergrinder

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
A milling machine with another X and Y axis mounted on the table, and a rotary table mounted on that will allow you to make things normally left to CNC machines. The machines are important, but the attachments are worth more than the machine and many times represent more than half the value. I have one indexing head the degrees in increments on 1 degree, that's about as accurate as it gets, or is needed. ;)