Diagnosis confirmed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by micahrogers, Jan 4, 2015.

1. micahrogers

micahrogers ...And the Wife...

Well, As of Friday the diagnosis was confirmed, I suffer from APMS, (Advanced plastic Modelers Syndrome)
    I have finally paid more for an accessory for a model kit, than the kit itself cost.
    the 1/1000th PL Reliant and the aftermarket PL Aztec decals for her.
    Reliant_01.JPG Reliant_02.JPG Reliant_03.JPG
    I will admit that the decal package does come with registry markings for several different Miranda class starships... but as I plan on mine being the Reliant...
  2. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

It is a necessary and smart way to go with those models. Personally, I would spray paint the model with a semi-gloss afterwards, to seal the stickers, and give the whole model an even look. I don't like gloss because it starts to look like a toy. :)
  3. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator Moderator

That is usually the case with most models. The accessories are more expensive than the kit itself.
    With that being said, I am looking forward to seeing how this project turns out.
    GOOD LUCK!!!
  4. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

Before you apply the decals apply a layer of gloss, then add the decals (using a decal softener) and then put on a final layer of mate varnish. ;)
  5. Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder Member Extraordinaire

I would also go with RF's suggestion, maybe skip the coat of gloss before the decals?.I used to do this a lot when I used to do plastic models, the result was really great, especially for WW2 planes.
  6. sgoti

sgoti Officially Licensed Smart Aleck

You need the pre-decal gloss coat for best decal adhesion.

Yes, I know it's possible to apply decals on a non-gloss surface (I've been able to do it myself), but applying to a gloss surface yields the best results.
    Cybergrinder likes this.
  7. micahrogers

micahrogers ...And the Wife...

seeing as these are "wallpaper" decals (they cover the entire surface) the gloss coat before decal application is a must. my only gripe is that the 1/1000th E-refit kit comes with the aztec decals, the 1/1000th Reliant kit they charge an extra $30.00 for them... :mad:

Having said that, they are a must for this kit. They will make the kit pop like my 1/1000th E-refit
    20140304_142208 - Copy.jpg
    bgt01, Revell-Fan and Cybergrinder like this.
  8. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator Moderator

The is one smart looking "Enterprise". :Bravo:.
  9. Cybergrinder

Cybergrinder Member Extraordinaire

@sgoti; "Yes, I know it's possible to apply decals on a non-gloss surface (I've been able to do it myself), but applying to a gloss surface yields the best results." - I have to say that I never tried it and always got a good effect, but I can see how it will help with the wallpaper type decals. (I mostly used to build square-rigged ships (no decals :)) & WW2 planes (few decals) when I did plastic models)

@micahrogers; I agree with Zathros, beautiful Enterprise! So, when Reliant is finished, would you be prepared to re-create the battle of mutari nebula? ;)
  10. Revell-Fan

Revell-Fan Co-Administrator Administrator Moderator

She is a beauty! :)