Detailling a Con-Cor MP15

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Here's the latest loco I am doing up. It's the Concor MP15 with more than a few bits of an Athearn SW1500 chucked in for good measure.

This is the one I'm doing.

Belt Railway MP15

First the frame. The sides of the frame have been cut back with plasticard strip to hide the gap between the metal and the underside of the body. The fuel tank has been built up with lead sheet to give some extra weight.

abf.sized.jpg

abg.sized.jpg

abh.sized.jpg

Jon

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Next the body shell.

The Concor cab/battery box and the front end have been replaced with those from an Athearn SW1500. The ConCor handrails have been cut away to leave the plastic stanchions.

These were drilled out and wire fed through the holes. Finally, the crap chimneys have been replaced with brass strip to represent stovepipe ones. So far, so good.

abi.sized.jpg

abj.sized.jpg

abk.sized.jpg

abm.sized.jpg

More to follow.....

Jon

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
The body detailling is now complete, save a couple of bits which go on after painting. Of special note are the unusual sandboxes and the cab-end handrails.

Now to undercoat the shell and detail the chassis, while the paint is drying.

Jon

abo.sized.jpg

abp.sized.jpg

abq.sized.jpg

abr.sized.jpg

abs.sized.jpg

Jon

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Jon, that is one fine piece of work there. What a difference your mods made when compared to the stock version. It's excellent. -:thumb::thumb::thumb:

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Whoa. Jon, are you sure that's a model and not a superimposed image of the real thing. That engine is fantastic, way to go, nice job. -:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Jon, that engine really looks great running on a layout.:thumb: You need to build one, even small one! Haha!!! -:eek:
Your friends layout is impressive as well, I really like the tower in the second photo.:cool:
Thanks for showing it. Now what about that GP15-1.:wave:

Jon Grant

Jun 6, 2004
Sunderland UK
www.railimages.com
Brian, the scenic portion of John's layout was salvaged from his portable layout Penn St Station, which was almost entirely NYC, so theres more than a bit of NY modelled, even though most of the stock is now Pennsy.

abf.sized.jpg

The SV GP15-1 parts have been cleaned up, but - disaster - I have lost one of the pilots and anticlimber already, so have had to copy the remaining 2 castings. This is my 'gaff of the week'.:confused: :cry:

Some pics to follow soon.

Jon