Desktopsimmer Introduction

desktopsimmer

Hi,

Just a quick intro from me. I'm an amateur 3D Modeller which I've a had couple of published 3D models in two Space Shuttle Simulators.

As a child I used to build both paper and plastic models. In my early adult life this was stopped by beer and women. Now in my thirties (married with children), I picked up creating models again, mainly Sci-fi and real spacecraft.

I've been following Alien99 for some time and have built a few of his models, especially his 1:148 scale Vehicle models.

I've as an experiment, I've created a very basic NASA VAB, which one day I would like to completely 3D model the VAB and surrounding building and create them as a paper model, at 1:2400 scale. The VAB model is available on my blog.

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Hello and welcome to Zealot.
We have many members here who are into SCI-FI (myself included). Not only that, but we also have many members who are designer. So (hopefully) you will feel right at home here (as well as broaden your skills in designing and building).
If you have any photos of some of your older work, please post photos (WE LOVE SEEING PHOTOS!).

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself. I am looking forward to seeing your work!

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome aboard. What 3D modeling software do you use? Nice to have another designer around. Welcome to Zealot. :)

desktopsimmer

Thanks for the Welcome :)

I'm using Wings3D for most of my 3D Modelling and Pepakura for the Paper model creation. I've used in the past Blender, Rhino3D and AutoCAD. However, I find Wings3D the best application to use at the moment because of two features, it's free and simple to use! and it's available on the Linux platform :)

I'm learning that you just can't export the 3D model to Pepakura. The 3D model has to be broken down into sub-component that Pepakura can make better sense of. There's still a element of manual manipulation, but its easier when you break down the 3D models correctly.

Once, I've got a current 3D project completed, I'll look at the VAB project.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
What's the format of Wings 3D? Is that part of X-Plane? I model with Rhino 3D ver. 5.0. If possible, I might be able to change some formats by just saving to that format. I can't save to Pepakura, as that is a drawing program, not a design program. :)