Designing the RX-79 Gundam (Maybe...)

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Soaring, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Soaring

Soaring Guest

-.- After looking at so MANY great designers here, I wanted to try my hand at it :cry:

I threatened my good ole big brother, who is an experienced modeler, to help me in my undying quest. Practically, I asked him to recreate RX-79 through 3D-S Max form. He said he "Was going to." Minutes went to hours, hours went to evenings, then a day. So, he, instead of modeling it himself, taught me VER VERY little. And so, my little brother brother and I, who is 9, are designing our own Gundams. (He's making a Transformable Zeta Gundam, which is coming around pretty good in my aspect.) Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for the inspiration guys!

-Meta isn't as hard as it looks :mrgreen:

And, my first question is...One of the pieces from my modeled ankle armor, has gone amuck, and seperated from the entire piece. Is it possible, through pepakura, to somehow infuse it to another piece, or will I have to do it over and hope not to make any mistakes in meta?

Attached Files:

2. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Hehe! I did it! I'm going to re-try this again tomorrow, adding some extra creases in the Meta model to allow a kind of slant dow the middle >_> (I'm only a beginner, so I don't know what to call it ^.^)

More pictures of the progressing model tomorrow! :oops:

Note: The size of the model is unexpectably huge, since I didn't scale down the development in pepakura. I want the end model to be at least 30 centimeters, to be in scale with Hazel, and Hi- Nu Gundam.

Attached Files:

3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Hey guys, I think we have another designer here!! :D

Nice job there, regarding the surface issue, you can select "join closed vertices" in the "options" menu in Meta which joins all vertices on your current object ;)
  4. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Thanks Lex, :)

As for your advice, I'll try it right now, speedy quick like!
    I'll get both femur parts modeled today.
  5. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Jut a small little thing I wanted to show you guys on the modeling front. My brother ( who is younger than I) decided to take part in modeling a Gundam. So, he did everything shown! Except, I did a few things to make the model less blocky, and added some narrow ...things :)

Oh yeah, he's attempting to make it transformable :p

Attached Files:

6. Soaring

Soaring Guest

AHHA! Voila! :mrgreen: I'm as giddy as a school girl, and as happy as a bunny!
    Texturing the part was difficult, even thought there were only 9 lines :rolleyes:

And so, I'm going to, unfortunately, Try it again, modeling the same piece, to get the right slopes on the folds.

Texturing is hard :curse:

-More updates later tonight, my little brother and I are going to stay up an extra 2 hours, just to finish these structures ^.^

Attached Files:

7. Soaring

Soaring Guest

More Updates :thumb:

Attached Files:

8. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Alright, so I'm off to bed at the moment, but before I go, here's a small build update. I put in an ankle piece, however, tomorrow after continuing my styrene Arcearth, I'll create some Ankle joints through Meta. It's my first time, so I don't got much experience ^.^

Attached Files:

9. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Alright, so I didn't have much time to do this today, I was styrene modeling, and still not finished with that piece, and so here's another little update. I finished the calves, and now working on the back of the calves, kneecaps, then joints :eek:

Oh yeah...I need at LEAST 3 beta builders, I want to see how other people think about the model. I want to portray the feeling that, the model is simpl, but looks adequate. So anyone up for some beta building? Don't be shy now :thumb:

Attached Files:

10. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Uhm, does anyone want to beta build? Pwease :(
  11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I think most of us would only beta build an entire model... :D
  12. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Ok :) I'll finish it up first...Finish up the femur at least :mrgreen:

Anyways, does anyone want to test out the leg? I wanna see what other's think of how easy it is, which is what I was going for with this model :oops:
  13. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Another small update, the knee cap ^.^

I'm still accepting beta builders, since I still have none. Even though it's not finished, I need other's opinions on the difficulty of it, and what I should change! I need your help! Probably I'll accept beta builders for only TODAY.There's a 90% possibility that this Gundam won't be downloadable, as well.

Attached Files:

14. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Another small update, the knee cap.

Anyone want to beta build? Times a running! Only 23 hours to go..

Attached Files:

15. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

From the looks I can tell it's perfectly alright! Don't worry Soaring, you're doing good!
  16. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looks like you're making great progress Soaring. Keep up the good work.:thumb:
  17. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Thanks Lex and CJT for the boost, I'm still accepting Beta builders everyone...

Anyways, I think no more for tonight, as I will finish up my Science unit, Math HW, LA Quiz/LIt, and finish up that styrene piece ^.^
  18. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I'll try a beta build, as soon as I can. I'm still working on tow computers, but I think I should be able to start something next week. I've got several projects in thw works, but haven't even had time to post pictures.
  19. Soaring

Soaring Guest

Yay! I have two beta builders, one who's an iffy :) Only 6 parts, not much, only took me an hour to build them all :D

Thanks CJT, and Palmer :)

One more beta builder spot left...
    Anyways, thank goodness I finished all my assignments, I finished modeling the joint of the femur, built it, and now finishing up smoothing a styrene Arcearth head :) I think1 more update for tonight, then I'm shiftinhg to the paper to styrene inspired by CJT.
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

WHOOT! Just remember, school comes before play!:mrgreen: