Designing the F2G

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Willja67, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice, Very Nice...,

Willja67, Beginning to look like an airplane! Oshkosh must have really gotten you fired up. Beautiful design and build. Please keep up the pace...,

Best, -Gil
  2. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice, Very Nice...,

Willja67, Beginning to look like an airplane! Oshkosh must have really gotten you fired up. Beautiful design and build. Please keep up the pace...,

Best, -Gil
  3. spirtos

spirtos Member

...looks great!...more photos please...
  4. spirtos

spirtos Member

...looks great!...more photos please...
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Here is the promised tutorial.

It all starts and ends with layers. Being a product of Acad upbringing I understood layers but at the same time had no clue about them. In acad the layers were arranged in alphabetical order in the dialogue box and could not be moved and if there was a rhyme or reason to the way stuff was displayed, but it's a whole different story in Rhino and I only just recently(within the last month) figured out how to truly use them to best advantage. I had been told multiple times by Gil and Tim and others but it hadn't sunk in mostly because of my acad background, so hopefully this will help you learn quicker than I did.

[​IMG]

This is my set of layers. The good thing about Rhino and Corel draw is that whatever layer is on top in the dialogue box really is on top in the drawing as well. You'll note that my bottom most layer is called base and this is what is on base:

[​IMG]

It is the outline of the wing and all the lines are joined together. This will be useful later on when it goes into Corel draw.

My next layer up is called White and this is what is on it:

[​IMG]

These are the white sunburst rays and this is going to be good cause I plan on doing the model in several different color schemes, so with this layout I can just shut this layer off and have a plain old wing ready to go for the next version.

The next layer(Outline) was made for the purpose of putting the black outlines around the starburst.

[​IMG]

Note that I also put the registration number on this layer as well. If that's good or bad I haven't quite decided yet but it works for now. Note that the interior of the eights aren't on this layer. When you fill them later on in Corel draw the whole number would be solid black so I had to put the inner parts on a higher layer.

This layer is called panel lines:

[​IMG]

Can't think of much to say about it except this is the one place where making sure all the lines are joined together is not critical(except the parts for the eights).

The last pic shows the whole thing layed out and ready for Export to Corel Draw and this is a good place to give the drawing a good close inspection.

[​IMG]

Note the places that the starburst edges are over top the outer edge of the wing that you see white instead of red and in the interior parts of the wing you see black on the starburst borders, that's because Rhino is kind enough to display it as it really is. The white layer is on top of the base(Red) layer and Outline (black) is on top of White.

Now to get from Rhino to Corel Draw I box select everything I want to send and go to file and go export selected, then it asks me for file type and I choose AI or Adobe illustrator, and give it a name, rhino then asks if you want to preserve the model scale and you should probably say yes to that.
    One note here is that you should not be in the perspective vport when selecting your stuff to export otherwise the computer just takes a snapshot of your stuff (with the perspective skewing) and doesn't even ask if you want to preserve the scale.

I think I'll take a break here and finish up the Corel Draw stuff later. And I have to ask was this clear and was it useful?
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Here is the promised tutorial.

It all starts and ends with layers. Being a product of Acad upbringing I understood layers but at the same time had no clue about them. In acad the layers were arranged in alphabetical order in the dialogue box and could not be moved and if there was a rhyme or reason to the way stuff was displayed, but it's a whole different story in Rhino and I only just recently(within the last month) figured out how to truly use them to best advantage. I had been told multiple times by Gil and Tim and others but it hadn't sunk in mostly because of my acad background, so hopefully this will help you learn quicker than I did.

[​IMG]

This is my set of layers. The good thing about Rhino and Corel draw is that whatever layer is on top in the dialogue box really is on top in the drawing as well. You'll note that my bottom most layer is called base and this is what is on base:

[​IMG]

It is the outline of the wing and all the lines are joined together. This will be useful later on when it goes into Corel draw.

My next layer up is called White and this is what is on it:

[​IMG]

These are the white sunburst rays and this is going to be good cause I plan on doing the model in several different color schemes, so with this layout I can just shut this layer off and have a plain old wing ready to go for the next version.

The next layer(Outline) was made for the purpose of putting the black outlines around the starburst.

[​IMG]

Note that I also put the registration number on this layer as well. If that's good or bad I haven't quite decided yet but it works for now. Note that the interior of the eights aren't on this layer. When you fill them later on in Corel draw the whole number would be solid black so I had to put the inner parts on a higher layer.

This layer is called panel lines:

[​IMG]

Can't think of much to say about it except this is the one place where making sure all the lines are joined together is not critical(except the parts for the eights).

The last pic shows the whole thing layed out and ready for Export to Corel Draw and this is a good place to give the drawing a good close inspection.

[​IMG]

Note the places that the starburst edges are over top the outer edge of the wing that you see white instead of red and in the interior parts of the wing you see black on the starburst borders, that's because Rhino is kind enough to display it as it really is. The white layer is on top of the base(Red) layer and Outline (black) is on top of White.

Now to get from Rhino to Corel Draw I box select everything I want to send and go to file and go export selected, then it asks me for file type and I choose AI or Adobe illustrator, and give it a name, rhino then asks if you want to preserve the model scale and you should probably say yes to that.
    One note here is that you should not be in the perspective vport when selecting your stuff to export otherwise the computer just takes a snapshot of your stuff (with the perspective skewing) and doesn't even ask if you want to preserve the scale.

I think I'll take a break here and finish up the Corel Draw stuff later. And I have to ask was this clear and was it useful?
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice Tut!

Willja67, Nicely done tutorial. Straight forward and demonstrates the use of layers in a model design. It is even more important when you add another dimension. -Gil
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice Tut!

Willja67, Nicely done tutorial. Straight forward and demonstrates the use of layers in a model design. It is even more important when you add another dimension. -Gil
  9. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yes Willja, that was an excellent explaination of layers and it gave me a better understanding of how they are used.

Thank you for taking the time to do this and I am looking forward to your next installment.

Russell
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Yes Willja, that was an excellent explaination of layers and it gave me a better understanding of how they are used.

Thank you for taking the time to do this and I am looking forward to your next installment.

Russell
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Skinning the wings

I am so stoked right now! One of my goals coming in to this project was to get inboard portion of wing to look seamless and have a graceful curve just like the real thing. In every last card Corsair I've seen the wings were the spot that ruined the "I can't beleive it's paper". So I worked hard to place as many of the seams as possible in places where there were seams in the real thing and to construct it in such a manner that the seams that couldn't be ideally placed didn't stand out as much and I think I've succeeded. You be the judge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my fears in doing #57 was that the starburst pattern was going to be devilishly tricky to line up correctly but it was relatively simple to build it right.

Sorry for the bragging but I think I did good.
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Skinning the wings

I am so stoked right now! One of my goals coming in to this project was to get inboard portion of wing to look seamless and have a graceful curve just like the real thing. In every last card Corsair I've seen the wings were the spot that ruined the "I can't beleive it's paper". So I worked hard to place as many of the seams as possible in places where there were seams in the real thing and to construct it in such a manner that the seams that couldn't be ideally placed didn't stand out as much and I think I've succeeded. You be the judge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my fears in doing #57 was that the starburst pattern was going to be devilishly tricky to line up correctly but it was relatively simple to build it right.

Sorry for the bragging but I think I did good.
  13. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Looks great! Think you got the seams just right. Can't wait to see this one finished. Keep up the good work! Don't appologize for bragging, looks like a good reason to brag to me.:-D
  14. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Looks great! Think you got the seams just right. Can't wait to see this one finished. Keep up the good work! Don't appologize for bragging, looks like a good reason to brag to me.:-D
  15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Brag away! You have every right too! Way to go!

I think it looks fantastic and your getting me stoked about this project also!

It really is nice to be able to watch you work your "magic".

It gives me a lot more appreciation for the model to see all the work that goes into it during the design process.

Russell
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Brag away! You have every right too! Way to go!

I think it looks fantastic and your getting me stoked about this project also!

It really is nice to be able to watch you work your "magic".

It gives me a lot more appreciation for the model to see all the work that goes into it during the design process.

Russell
  17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Pride goeth before the fall

Just one last post for tonight and I really got to get to bed. Fit still appears to be good but I have learned the hard way that it is imperative that the wing frame stay square during skinning. Fortunately I was able to peel the skin off that I had on with no damage but I'm going to have to design some reinforcement for the frame before I can continue.
  18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Pride goeth before the fall

Just one last post for tonight and I really got to get to bed. Fit still appears to be good but I have learned the hard way that it is imperative that the wing frame stay square during skinning. Fortunately I was able to peel the skin off that I had on with no damage but I'm going to have to design some reinforcement for the frame before I can continue.
  19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

28 steps forward, one little tiny one back.... That is progress! Glad to see effort you are putting in is having a real effect! This will be a magnificent model when it is done, a real credit to you.

Corel draw; those 'eights'. When you have the outer outline and the two inner outlines as closed curves, ie they will fill, select all three of them, hit 'ctrl + L' and they will become one 'curve', made of three 'subcurves'. Fill this, and the '8' will fill properly, ie have two holes in it. If there are any problems, they will most likely be open nodes, or possibly duplicate nodes. Try it and let me know it works for you!

Have a look at http://www.kipperboxes.co.uk/rhino_tutorials/eights.cdr (ver 9 cdr file) for a quick explanation; also outlines in front and behind, and the difference between a duplicate and a clone. Change the fill or outline of the original, and see what happens to the clone. And what doesn't happen to the duplicate!

Great stuff Will,

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  20. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

28 steps forward, one little tiny one back.... That is progress! Glad to see effort you are putting in is having a real effect! This will be a magnificent model when it is done, a real credit to you.

Corel draw; those 'eights'. When you have the outer outline and the two inner outlines as closed curves, ie they will fill, select all three of them, hit 'ctrl + L' and they will become one 'curve', made of three 'subcurves'. Fill this, and the '8' will fill properly, ie have two holes in it. If there are any problems, they will most likely be open nodes, or possibly duplicate nodes. Try it and let me know it works for you!

Have a look at http://www.kipperboxes.co.uk/rhino_tutorials/eights.cdr (ver 9 cdr file) for a quick explanation; also outlines in front and behind, and the difference between a duplicate and a clone. Change the fill or outline of the original, and see what happens to the clone. And what doesn't happen to the duplicate!

Great stuff Will,

Tim P (wunwinglow)