Designing the F2G

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Willja67, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Exhaust stacks

Tonights post will mostly show what I did and not how I did it. As the title indicates I designed the exhaust stacks and cooling vents in the aft end of the cowling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also designed the fairing between the wing and fuselage which was unique to the super corsair ie no other corsairs had such fairings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I perhaps should note that most of the pics(of the real plane) come from Rodney Williams instruction CD for his resin conversion kit and everything else came from the internet and I nolonger have any idea where exactly they came from.
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Exhaust stacks

Tonights post will mostly show what I did and not how I did it. As the title indicates I designed the exhaust stacks and cooling vents in the aft end of the cowling.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also designed the fairing between the wing and fuselage which was unique to the super corsair ie no other corsairs had such fairings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I perhaps should note that most of the pics(of the real plane) come from Rodney Williams instruction CD for his resin conversion kit and everything else came from the internet and I nolonger have any idea where exactly they came from.
  3. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

u make a hard work this model i see

W-O-W

in this way u will start work with the big guys halinsky gpm and so

man thw progres look outstending and thet way looks like i of your costemers

add me in

P.S (my wish list for u will...)
    b17
    c47
    lavi
    f4 mig killer
  4. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

u make a hard work this model i see

W-O-W

in this way u will start work with the big guys halinsky gpm and so

man thw progres look outstending and thet way looks like i of your costemers

add me in

P.S (my wish list for u will...)
    b17
    c47
    lavi
    f4 mig killer
  5. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Willja,
    I have been following this thread with great interest and anticipation...
    You are doing a spectacular job with this plane and I cannot wait for the completed kit.
    My favorite models are the ones with all the details. The more details, the more I like it.
    I was wondering, when you sell this kit, will it be printed, CD, or download?
    Also, due to your attention to detail, I would find it hard to believe that you have never sold a design before.
    Are any of your previous designs for sale, and if so where can I get them?

Here is another virtual "pat on the back" to keep this awesome thread going!

Thanks for sharing your work with us!
    Russell
  6. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Willja,
    I have been following this thread with great interest and anticipation...
    You are doing a spectacular job with this plane and I cannot wait for the completed kit.
    My favorite models are the ones with all the details. The more details, the more I like it.
    I was wondering, when you sell this kit, will it be printed, CD, or download?
    Also, due to your attention to detail, I would find it hard to believe that you have never sold a design before.
    Are any of your previous designs for sale, and if so where can I get them?

Here is another virtual "pat on the back" to keep this awesome thread going!

Thanks for sharing your work with us!
    Russell
  7. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks Yaniv and Amayyah for the compliments. Honestly I wonder how much this thread gets looked at even though I've asked that question before and people did respond and say that yes they were watching.

@Amazyah Actually no I've never designed a model that has been sold. I started designing card models when I was six years old and never really designed anything really great till I learned autocad and had a way to make all the numerous modifications necessary to my kind of designing(test build modify test build modify etc).

The only model I really got to look pretty good was an F-15. It started out as a bare bones model and over the course of about 5 years as I had time I worked it to maybe the same level as Kancho's Easy series. A few years ago I started a total redesign to make it a top notch model but then it fell by the wayside.

Anyway thanks again for the comments.
  8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks Yaniv and Amayyah for the compliments. Honestly I wonder how much this thread gets looked at even though I've asked that question before and people did respond and say that yes they were watching.

@Amazyah Actually no I've never designed a model that has been sold. I started designing card models when I was six years old and never really designed anything really great till I learned autocad and had a way to make all the numerous modifications necessary to my kind of designing(test build modify test build modify etc).

The only model I really got to look pretty good was an F-15. It started out as a bare bones model and over the course of about 5 years as I had time I worked it to maybe the same level as Kancho's Easy series. A few years ago I started a total redesign to make it a top notch model but then it fell by the wayside.

Anyway thanks again for the comments.
  9. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Oh my...how could you dump an F-15 Eagle, the greatest fighter ever designed, in favor of the second greatest fighter ever designed? 8v(
  10. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Oh my...how could you dump an F-15 Eagle, the greatest fighter ever designed, in favor of the second greatest fighter ever designed? 8v(
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well Ash I figured that the definitive card F-15 had already been designed (Dr. Zarkov's Beauty) and that I would try my hand at a plane that hadn't been done yet. Who knows maybe one of these days I'll get around to finishing what I started, but it'll be a job like this one having to redo the whole thing to utilize Rhino to the fullest and that is a daunting prospect.
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well Ash I figured that the definitive card F-15 had already been designed (Dr. Zarkov's Beauty) and that I would try my hand at a plane that hadn't been done yet. Who knows maybe one of these days I'll get around to finishing what I started, but it'll be a job like this one having to redo the whole thing to utilize Rhino to the fullest and that is a daunting prospect.
  13. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Most of the progress shown in this post is stuff that was done awhile ago but hasn't been shown yet. I've mentioned that I'm going to release three versions of this model #57 #74 and BuNo 88454, and I'm going to release them in their original configuration. As mentioned earlier they are the only three surviving F2G's and there are some subtle and some significant differences. I plan on releasing #57 first mostly because it's the most popular(based on a poll I did in a previous thread).

My personal favorite is #74 in this config:

[​IMG]

This pic is #57 in it's original configuration.

[​IMG]

Main differneces in this config and current are the carb intake, oil cooler intakes(narrowed for racing) and the fairing behind the tail wheel is still there. I don't know about most of you but I kind of like the humped carb intake I think it looks cool so that's the main reason I decided to do this version. Also these airplanes won the races they are most famous for as shown in these pics(#74 1947 Thompson Trophy #57 1949 Tinnerman Trophy).

Here is a pic of the original scoop:

[​IMG]

and here are my designs for the scoops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've roughed in the cockpit and rear deck so here they are and I'll try to document the detailing better than I have in the past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As usual any questions or comments feel free to make them known.
  14. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Most of the progress shown in this post is stuff that was done awhile ago but hasn't been shown yet. I've mentioned that I'm going to release three versions of this model #57 #74 and BuNo 88454, and I'm going to release them in their original configuration. As mentioned earlier they are the only three surviving F2G's and there are some subtle and some significant differences. I plan on releasing #57 first mostly because it's the most popular(based on a poll I did in a previous thread).

My personal favorite is #74 in this config:

[​IMG]

This pic is #57 in it's original configuration.

[​IMG]

Main differneces in this config and current are the carb intake, oil cooler intakes(narrowed for racing) and the fairing behind the tail wheel is still there. I don't know about most of you but I kind of like the humped carb intake I think it looks cool so that's the main reason I decided to do this version. Also these airplanes won the races they are most famous for as shown in these pics(#74 1947 Thompson Trophy #57 1949 Tinnerman Trophy).

Here is a pic of the original scoop:

[​IMG]

and here are my designs for the scoops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've roughed in the cockpit and rear deck so here they are and I'll try to document the detailing better than I have in the past.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As usual any questions or comments feel free to make them known.
  15. keith

keith Member

Willja,
    I found something that might be useful for you in the future conscerning selling models :-
    http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/compare.php
    You might need a couple more models under your belt before you attempt selling, you'll also need free advertising (ie free models).

Damn, your good at modelling :)

Where do you live?
    how heavy is your computer?
    where do you leave your keys?
    what time do you go to work?
    Do you have wonderwoman wallpaper?

:-D

Keith
  16. keith

keith Member

Willja,
    I found something that might be useful for you in the future conscerning selling models :-
    http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/webhosting/compare.php
    You might need a couple more models under your belt before you attempt selling, you'll also need free advertising (ie free models).

Damn, your good at modelling :)

Where do you live?
    how heavy is your computer?
    where do you leave your keys?
    what time do you go to work?
    Do you have wonderwoman wallpaper?

:-D

Keith
  17. silverw

silverw Member

Hey Will...

Oh, Yah... we are LOOKING!!!!

..... just don't know what to say!!!

Keep up the FANTASTIC... uhmmmm.. Stuff!!???

............... Bill
  18. silverw

silverw Member

Hey Will...

Oh, Yah... we are LOOKING!!!!

..... just don't know what to say!!!

Keep up the FANTASTIC... uhmmmm.. Stuff!!???

............... Bill
  19. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Sorry Keith

I don't have Wonderwoman on my desktop. After a long intermission this thread continues. Most of what I've been doing has been stuff that would not be that interesting to most of you. I've been trying to get enough of what I've designed layed out flat so it can be testbuilt, and here is what exists thus far:

[​IMG]

Testbuilding is a good thing in my case. I know there are some designers (I can't remember who)that design a model on the computer and they don't need to test build it as it fits just like they thought it would. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. Mostly in this case everything fits it's just not the best design.
  20. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Sorry Keith

I don't have Wonderwoman on my desktop. After a long intermission this thread continues. Most of what I've been doing has been stuff that would not be that interesting to most of you. I've been trying to get enough of what I've designed layed out flat so it can be testbuilt, and here is what exists thus far:

[​IMG]

Testbuilding is a good thing in my case. I know there are some designers (I can't remember who)that design a model on the computer and they don't need to test build it as it fits just like they thought it would. Unfortunately I'm not one of them. Mostly in this case everything fits it's just not the best design.