Designing the F2G

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Willja67, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Wilja, regarding the missing corner surface, I ran into the same issue today. In order to do project aileron detail onto the top and bottom surfaces of the tip bow surfaces they first need to be exploded before projection will work. Sometimes it's necessary to explode the surface in order to do a cut operation. Either way the explode of the straight lofted surface formed from half of the airfoil section and the tip bow leaves a tiny corner surface that's easy to miss when selecting them for the surface devlopment. This may be the source of the missing corner surface.

-Gil
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

If I understand you correctly Gil and I'm not sure I do, you think that part of my trimming operations left one little bitty piece of surface that is easily overlooked and that needs to be unrolled and put in place?

If that's what you mean I'm fairly certain that's not the case here. I have yet to try your suggestions about rebuilding the lines and relofting the surface.

This coming Monday I finally get to take my checkride for Private Pilot:yep: and along with my brothers battleship model I have been a little stretched lately. I have managed to do a little work but otherwise not much has been done.
  3. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well folks I have been granted a lot of time to work on my various projects( I almost broke my hand and can't work my framing job for a week) and I have been working a lot on this project. I'll probably post some screen shots tommorrow mostly of what I have done and not really how cause my desire to document the process hasn't been very strong.

But recently I have decided which versions I'll release: Race #'s 74 and 57 and side # 454. Can anybody tell me what these 3 planes have in common(other than the fact that they're all F2G's)? All you'll get is a pat on the head and a "Nice job":twisted: .
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well folks I have been granted a lot of time to work on my various projects( I almost broke my hand and can't work my framing job for a week) and I have been working a lot on this project. I'll probably post some screen shots tommorrow mostly of what I have done and not really how cause my desire to document the process hasn't been very strong.

But recently I have decided which versions I'll release: Race #'s 74 and 57 and side # 454. Can anybody tell me what these 3 planes have in common(other than the fact that they're all F2G's)? All you'll get is a pat on the head and a "Nice job":twisted: .
  5. Texman

Texman Guest

They were all owned by Cook Cleland?

Ray
  6. Texman

Texman Guest

They were all owned by Cook Cleland?

Ray
  7. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I actually don't think 454 ever was.
  8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I actually don't think 454 ever was.
  9. Texman

Texman Guest

Well, 454 was going to be raced as Race 50, so I guess more research! However, Cook
    did own 4 of the beasties.
  10. Texman

Texman Guest

Well, 454 was going to be raced as Race 50, so I guess more research! However, Cook
    did own 4 of the beasties.
  11. Texman

Texman Guest

2 other possible choices, they were all flown by Cook Cleland, or they
    all raced the same year, 1949.
  12. Texman

Texman Guest

2 other possible choices, they were all flown by Cook Cleland, or they
    all raced the same year, 1949.
  13. Texman

Texman Guest

Ok, got it now. These are the only three remaining F2G's.
  14. Texman

Texman Guest

Ok, got it now. These are the only three remaining F2G's.
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Yup that's right. Cleland owned #'s 57,74, 84, and 94. 454 was going to be raced but the Navy took it away from that guy cause they didn't like the idea of it possibly getting wrecked which is what happened to #84 in it's first/only race. #94 sat at an airport as a derelict (somebody took the engine and put it in a museum) until the fire dept used it for practice then dug a pit and shoved it in. #57 and 74 both rotted (74 was at least given some protection) till they were found by people with the werewithal to restore them and now 57 is the only flyable F2G in the world and she is gorgeous.

My plan for these three is to make them as close to the configuration they were in when they were new as I can. 454 lost it's rollover structure somewhere and it's paint job isn't quite the same as when it was in Navy service.

#57 was almost a totally stock F2G throughout it's racing career. Other than the internal mods which I can only guess meant stripping the armor, guns, and the hydraulics for the wing folding mechanism, the only external mod I'm aware of was a slight modification to the oil cooler intake scoops. It was modified by Mr. Oodegard during the resto (main difference being the carb intake scoop) and I think that since he completed the resto he has removed the overturn structure, also the paint job is very slightly different. Other alterations made were the deletion of the little fairing behind the tailwheel and returning the oil cooler intakes to stock configuration.

#74 was the most modified of the three and perhaps 2nd only to #94 which had several feet clipped from the wingtips(so much that plates had to be added to make the aircraft controllable). I plan on having it in the configuration it was in when it raced in the the 1947 Cleveland Air races and took first place. For that race it had the humped air scoop which I think was the way it was bought from the Navy. Externally visible modifications at the time of the race included the deletion of the overturn structure and the the auxilliary rudder, and shortening of the tail gear to allow it to retract fully, and 9 inches were clipped from the wingtips. At some point the oil cooler intakes were modified but I think that happened after the 47 races cause I have pics showing the stock intakes while the plane still had the humped carb intake.
  16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Yup that's right. Cleland owned #'s 57,74, 84, and 94. 454 was going to be raced but the Navy took it away from that guy cause they didn't like the idea of it possibly getting wrecked which is what happened to #84 in it's first/only race. #94 sat at an airport as a derelict (somebody took the engine and put it in a museum) until the fire dept used it for practice then dug a pit and shoved it in. #57 and 74 both rotted (74 was at least given some protection) till they were found by people with the werewithal to restore them and now 57 is the only flyable F2G in the world and she is gorgeous.

My plan for these three is to make them as close to the configuration they were in when they were new as I can. 454 lost it's rollover structure somewhere and it's paint job isn't quite the same as when it was in Navy service.

#57 was almost a totally stock F2G throughout it's racing career. Other than the internal mods which I can only guess meant stripping the armor, guns, and the hydraulics for the wing folding mechanism, the only external mod I'm aware of was a slight modification to the oil cooler intake scoops. It was modified by Mr. Oodegard during the resto (main difference being the carb intake scoop) and I think that since he completed the resto he has removed the overturn structure, also the paint job is very slightly different. Other alterations made were the deletion of the little fairing behind the tailwheel and returning the oil cooler intakes to stock configuration.

#74 was the most modified of the three and perhaps 2nd only to #94 which had several feet clipped from the wingtips(so much that plates had to be added to make the aircraft controllable). I plan on having it in the configuration it was in when it raced in the the 1947 Cleveland Air races and took first place. For that race it had the humped air scoop which I think was the way it was bought from the Navy. Externally visible modifications at the time of the race included the deletion of the overturn structure and the the auxilliary rudder, and shortening of the tail gear to allow it to retract fully, and 9 inches were clipped from the wingtips. At some point the oil cooler intakes were modified but I think that happened after the 47 races cause I have pics showing the stock intakes while the plane still had the humped carb intake.
  17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This basically shows the progress up to now. I'm getting close to the point I was at before I started the whole thing over, I just need to do the alieron flaps and oil coolers an a little in the cockpit area and I'll be as far as I was. Thankfully this time I don't think the flaps and alierons are going to be so hard.

If you have any questions about how I did something or want to see a certain part let me know.
  18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This basically shows the progress up to now. I'm getting close to the point I was at before I started the whole thing over, I just need to do the alieron flaps and oil coolers an a little in the cockpit area and I'll be as far as I was. Thankfully this time I don't think the flaps and alierons are going to be so hard.

If you have any questions about how I did something or want to see a certain part let me know.
  19. Willja67

Willja67 Member

First pic shows the offset tail.

[​IMG]

Next I started work on the flaps and figured out the cross sections for the ramps or vents in front of the flaps the same way I found the intermediate ribs(straightend the wing out).

[​IMG]

Everything was pretty basic from there, where it got a little interesting was the outboard section of flap. Due to the dihedral it is somewhat difficult to get the correct shape for the flap on the bottom of the wing. I had drawn the bottom wing details out flat then projected them onto the surface of the wing and they didn't quite match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first pic shows the top of the wing before I cut out the space between the flap and alieron. The second show the underside after removal of the unwanted portion. The alieron is on the right the flap on the left and the highlighted(yellow) line is where I had the edge of the alieron, as you can see it is almost in the middle of the gap.

It's nice to have Rhino or any other 3d program so you can see things like this, cause I had this problem when I first designed the model in acad only then I couldn't see the problem till I was in the middle of a test build, and even then I might miss it. The real test of all this will be when I put the hinges in and see if the flaps deploy as they should.
  20. Willja67

Willja67 Member

First pic shows the offset tail.

[​IMG]

Next I started work on the flaps and figured out the cross sections for the ramps or vents in front of the flaps the same way I found the intermediate ribs(straightend the wing out).

[​IMG]

Everything was pretty basic from there, where it got a little interesting was the outboard section of flap. Due to the dihedral it is somewhat difficult to get the correct shape for the flap on the bottom of the wing. I had drawn the bottom wing details out flat then projected them onto the surface of the wing and they didn't quite match.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first pic shows the top of the wing before I cut out the space between the flap and alieron. The second show the underside after removal of the unwanted portion. The alieron is on the right the flap on the left and the highlighted(yellow) line is where I had the edge of the alieron, as you can see it is almost in the middle of the gap.

It's nice to have Rhino or any other 3d program so you can see things like this, cause I had this problem when I first designed the model in acad only then I couldn't see the problem till I was in the middle of a test build, and even then I might miss it. The real test of all this will be when I put the hinges in and see if the flaps deploy as they should.