Designing the F2G

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Willja67, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Where? How?

Where would that be located? I've searched the help topics about layers in Adobe Reader but can't find anything like that.
  2. nx13688

nx13688 Member

Are the panel lines all on the same layer in Corel Draw? If they are, does that layer have printing disabled? If that was the case, you would see the lines in Draw, but they wouldn't show up in the PDF. I think. :)
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

It would be in the original design file.
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

You guys were right it was the layer print visibility. I've never turned that off before so I didn't check it, must have happened when I was turning other layers on and off. I did do a print preview to see if those lines showed up and they did so that kind of threw me. Thanks for the help. I'm going to go over the model just a little more before I send the final stuff to Mike tommorrow just to make sure I didn't miss anything. But after this long I think I've got it.
  5. OldSalt

OldSalt Member

To use an on-line gaming expression of joy - WOOT!
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

1 Preprinted kit for sale

In the course of getting this model ready for sale it was necesary to print it out in order to closely inspect it for problems. There were some very small ones (8 to be exact) and obviously I fixed them before I sent them to Mike at Gremir but that leaves me with a printed kit that I don't really need. I know some folks don't like downloadable kits and thought I would give one of you the opportunity of buying a preprinted kit.

As I said there are some small problems so I am discounting the kit 50% ($8 US plus shipping). I will sell it to the first person to respond to this post. I only have 1, so it's first come first serve.

The kit is printed on 110lb card stock so it's going to be a little difficult to work with but it ends up being very sturdy. Kit is as is. I only replace it if it gets lost in the shipping.

If you are the lucky one who finds this post first and responds first in this thread after responding here I will PM you asking what your address is and how you would like it shipped etc.

I have been thinking about options for selling preprinted kits for a while and this may not be the last but I make no promises. Good luck.
  7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I'll take it Willja!

Russell
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

WoooHooo!

Sometimes it pays off staying up all night!:grin:
    Sometimes the early bird does get the worm!:twisted:

Oh ok, I'll shut up!:roll:

Russell
  9. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Congrats Russel. Check your PM's.
  10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Super Corsair is available again

I'm pleased to announce that F2G-1 Super Corsair is available again.
    Model now contains two versions of the plane - in original configuration from 1949 and after the renovation in 1999.
    Please visit http://www.gremirmodels.com/f2g_super_corsair.htm for more information.
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

P&W R-4360 Wasp Major

Hey guys I got a wild hair (or hare?) last night and decided that my engine for my Super Corsair isn't nearly detailed enough. I left off the intake and exhaust manifolds because they weren't really visible. Well I'm finishing those up and thinking that maybe I'll put the whole engine sans prop in the parts bin. If I'm not too much mistaken the exhaust manifolds were pretty much airplane specific so if anyone finds a model to stick this in they will have to build there own but here is what I have so far:

[​IMG]

The thick blue pipes are the intake manifolds and the red pipes are the exhaust manifolds. In my corsair model I didn't add any parts to build the cowl flaps open because a lot of detail had to be added if they were open. Well here's the detail. I'll add the cowl flap pieces so that all you folks who have bought the model and want a little more detail can have it, and all those who don't like building parts that can't be seen when the model is finished but hate leaving stuff out feel free to avoid the parts bin when I finally get it in there.:twisted:

BTW I don't ever plan on test building this (I'm not that crazy).
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

P&W R-4360 Wasp Major

Hey guys I got a wild hair (or hare?) last night and decided that my engine for my Super Corsair isn't nearly detailed enough. I left off the intake and exhaust manifolds because they weren't really visible. Well I'm finishing those up and thinking that maybe I'll put the whole engine sans prop in the parts bin. If I'm not too much mistaken the exhaust manifolds were pretty much airplane specific so if anyone finds a model to stick this in they will have to build there own but here is what I have so far:

[​IMG]

The thick blue pipes are the intake manifolds and the red pipes are the exhaust manifolds. In my corsair model I didn't add any parts to build the cowl flaps open because a lot of detail had to be added if they were open. Well here's the detail. I'll add the cowl flap pieces so that all you folks who have bought the model and want a little more detail can have it, and all those who don't like building parts that can't be seen when the model is finished but hate leaving stuff out feel free to avoid the parts bin when I finally get it in there.:twisted:

BTW I don't ever plan on test building this (I'm not that crazy).
  13. Gearz

Gearz Member

Amazing work and model Will, I dream of being able to developing AND build models of this calibre. An engine this detailed would look excellent all on its own! Hope you do end up building it.

There are a few great models of engines out there, sadly I've never found the one I'd love to have (RR Merlin ? 6x series.) You'd be the guy to do it justice!! Have you ever considered engines as stand alone projects / series of models ? or not commercial viable? In any case your model is spectacular to say the very least!!..
    :)
  14. Gearz

Gearz Member

Amazing work and model Will, I dream of being able to developing AND build models of this calibre. An engine this detailed would look excellent all on its own! Hope you do end up building it.

There are a few great models of engines out there, sadly I've never found the one I'd love to have (RR Merlin ? 6x series.) You'd be the guy to do it justice!! Have you ever considered engines as stand alone projects / series of models ? or not commercial viable? In any case your model is spectacular to say the very least!!..
    :)
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well as I've reiterated numerous times I only posess a marginal skillset when it comes to actually building card models. My passion lies in the designing.
    You do bring up an interesting point though Gearz and that is making the rest of the engine as there is a couple feet more on the back that I've never contemplated designing before.

I've hit one snag though that might scuttle the project. I've found inelegant solutions and ways around this problem but it's one that's haunted me ever since I started using Rhino. And that is the unrolling of most objects come out less than stellar. I used the pipe command to make all these pipes and past experience with Rhino led me to beleive that since the cylinders Rhino creates when extruding are more accurate than lofted ones and the pipe cylinders looked like the same breed that unrolling would be fairly good. Well it wasn't. The surfaces that came out after unrolling were pretty ugly and I don't know that I want to try and fix them.

I've tried in the past the standard repetoire of rebuilding surfaces with differing numbers of control points and other things and only ever had marginal results and there's so much here I don't know that I've got the resolve to go through the whole thing.
  16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well as I've reiterated numerous times I only posess a marginal skillset when it comes to actually building card models. My passion lies in the designing.
    You do bring up an interesting point though Gearz and that is making the rest of the engine as there is a couple feet more on the back that I've never contemplated designing before.

I've hit one snag though that might scuttle the project. I've found inelegant solutions and ways around this problem but it's one that's haunted me ever since I started using Rhino. And that is the unrolling of most objects come out less than stellar. I used the pipe command to make all these pipes and past experience with Rhino led me to beleive that since the cylinders Rhino creates when extruding are more accurate than lofted ones and the pipe cylinders looked like the same breed that unrolling would be fairly good. Well it wasn't. The surfaces that came out after unrolling were pretty ugly and I don't know that I want to try and fix them.

I've tried in the past the standard repetoire of rebuilding surfaces with differing numbers of control points and other things and only ever had marginal results and there's so much here I don't know that I've got the resolve to go through the whole thing.
  17. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Generally, try to trim a simple shape, then unroll that, rather than loft or patch from complex curves. In other words, intersecting two cylinders for example. Use the "curve from intersecting surfaces" to trim both the cylinders, rather than trim one and use the trimmed edge to create the next section of the tube.

Does this make any sense at all?

Tim
  18. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Generally, try to trim a simple shape, then unroll that, rather than loft or patch from complex curves. In other words, intersecting two cylinders for example. Use the "curve from intersecting surfaces" to trim both the cylinders, rather than trim one and use the trimmed edge to create the next section of the tube.

Does this make any sense at all?

Tim
  19. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I think I understand what you're saying Tim but I tried to avoid the complex curves issue by only using straight line segments to make the pipes. All the intersections are precise angles so there is nothing there that Rhino should have a problem with. I asked Gil if he'd like to take a look at the file and see what he can figure out. If you'd like I can send it to you as well.
  20. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I think I understand what you're saying Tim but I tried to avoid the complex curves issue by only using straight line segments to make the pipes. All the intersections are precise angles so there is nothing there that Rhino should have a problem with. I asked Gil if he'd like to take a look at the file and see what he can figure out. If you'd like I can send it to you as well.