Designing the F2G

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Willja67, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Well if you really want to be shot, I guess I could make the trip. Of course the trip will be schedualed after I get my copy of the model :grin:

Keep at it man, it looks great so far and if anyone can make it work it is you!
  2. Kevin G

Kevin G Member

Well if you really want to be shot, I guess I could make the trip. Of course the trip will be schedualed after I get my copy of the model :grin:

Keep at it man, it looks great so far and if anyone can make it work it is you!
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

There is no more of a perfectionist than a card model designer............. I just came up with that one:grin:

Well maybe a card model builder...............but that don't count!

Keep at it or as in the movies..............just keep swimming....... swimming....... swimming:grin:

john
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

There is no more of a perfectionist than a card model designer............. I just came up with that one:grin:

Well maybe a card model builder...............but that don't count!

Keep at it or as in the movies..............just keep swimming....... swimming....... swimming:grin:

john
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Silver Linings

I guess there is a bright side though it isn't that bright. There was a contour issue between the canopy and vertical stab that I never got quite right so I just fudged it enough to look halfway decent. Well making the canopy rails more accurate allowed that problem to be fixed. As of now fuselage sections and former have been redesigned (not unrolled yet) so that's about 15% of the work to be done.
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Silver Linings

I guess there is a bright side though it isn't that bright. There was a contour issue between the canopy and vertical stab that I never got quite right so I just fudged it enough to look halfway decent. Well making the canopy rails more accurate allowed that problem to be fixed. As of now fuselage sections and former have been redesigned (not unrolled yet) so that's about 15% of the work to be done.
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sorry man, just take yer time. :( take a break and build something quick and easy to get your mind off it for a day or two.... burnout never helps and we dont want to hit that point!
    Chris
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Sorry man, just take yer time. :( take a break and build something quick and easy to get your mind off it for a day or two.... burnout never helps and we dont want to hit that point!
    Chris
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Wouldn't You Know, Wouldn't You Know...,

It never fails...,

I hate it when you're checking a design and someone walks up and points out some glaring mistake that you never noticed until they pointed it out..., then they just wander off with an attitude like they're the most casual observer in the universe..., this can really cheese you off..., but it does make it a better design despite the intermittent outbursts of the cheese offs...,

-Gil
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Wouldn't You Know, Wouldn't You Know...,

It never fails...,

I hate it when you're checking a design and someone walks up and points out some glaring mistake that you never noticed until they pointed it out..., then they just wander off with an attitude like they're the most casual observer in the universe..., this can really cheese you off..., but it does make it a better design despite the intermittent outbursts of the cheese offs...,

-Gil
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

This whole thing turned out a lot less painless than I thought. I still have the canopy to do but the rest is done (I hope). The differences in some parts were so minor(like the joining strip) that I decided that no one would notice. I'm on lunch break now but hopefully by the time I go to bed tonight it will be back to the point of being ready to paint.

BTW thanks for all the encouraging words.
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

This whole thing turned out a lot less painless than I thought. I still have the canopy to do but the rest is done (I hope). The differences in some parts were so minor(like the joining strip) that I decided that no one would notice. I'm on lunch break now but hopefully by the time I go to bed tonight it will be back to the point of being ready to paint.

BTW thanks for all the encouraging words.
  13. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Instructions coming along

I have maybe 30% of the instruction diagrams drawn out right now. The kit is still unnumbered and some tweaking still needs to be done on a couple of parts but its coming. Number of pages went from 9 back to 10 and then to 11. Not very dense part layout on 11 but it would have been too tough to cram them all onto ten pages.
  14. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Instructions coming along

I have maybe 30% of the instruction diagrams drawn out right now. The kit is still unnumbered and some tweaking still needs to be done on a couple of parts but its coming. Number of pages went from 9 back to 10 and then to 11. Not very dense part layout on 11 but it would have been too tough to cram them all onto ten pages.
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Gil, if anyone points out such an error in my work, I am only too grateful for the heads-up, when ever the info arrives! Far better for them to say something and allow you to correct it, than wander off smirking and telling everyone what a klutz you are. And I've met plenty of that sort! They usually never make any models themselves......

Will, this is a magnificent project.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  16. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Gil, if anyone points out such an error in my work, I am only too grateful for the heads-up, when ever the info arrives! Far better for them to say something and allow you to correct it, than wander off smirking and telling everyone what a klutz you are. And I've met plenty of that sort! They usually never make any models themselves......

Will, this is a magnificent project.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks Tim I hope the model lives up to expectations.

Just thought I'd show one diagram that shows how I designed the wing skin for the inboard section.

[​IMG]

The central piece is an elaborate connecting strip/part or whatever you want to call it. It is this piece which is most responsible for the smooth look of the wing. My wing frame has noticeable angle changes in it and the additional layer of paper between the frame and the skin softens those angles. Also I did everything I could to put any seams in the same locations as actual panel lines.

I know you don't have the parts in front of you to compare with but how about some feedback on this diagram. Do you like what you see? I'm trying to make this model as builder friendly as possible and your feedback now will save you and me frustration later.
  18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks Tim I hope the model lives up to expectations.

Just thought I'd show one diagram that shows how I designed the wing skin for the inboard section.

[​IMG]

The central piece is an elaborate connecting strip/part or whatever you want to call it. It is this piece which is most responsible for the smooth look of the wing. My wing frame has noticeable angle changes in it and the additional layer of paper between the frame and the skin softens those angles. Also I did everything I could to put any seams in the same locations as actual panel lines.

I know you don't have the parts in front of you to compare with but how about some feedback on this diagram. Do you like what you see? I'm trying to make this model as builder friendly as possible and your feedback now will save you and me frustration later.
  19. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Will,

I've also discovered that the skin goes on smoother if it has these underneath parts. I've been calling them furrings.
    I was wondering how you got that compound curve to be smooth, and am delighted that we discovered the same method.

--Lizzie
  20. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

Will,

I've also discovered that the skin goes on smoother if it has these underneath parts. I've been calling them furrings.
    I was wondering how you got that compound curve to be smooth, and am delighted that we discovered the same method.

--Lizzie