Designing the F2G

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Willja67, Jan 31, 2006.

1. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

very impressive!, (sloppy my butt!!-makes some of my recent work look like its been trough playtime at the local kindygarten!)
  2. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

very impressive!, (sloppy my butt!!-makes some of my recent work look like its been trough playtime at the local kindygarten!)
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Will............. both the picture and the model look great!

Are you tired of bujilding cylinders yet?

Have you tried that brand of CA glue I suggested?

john
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Will............. both the picture and the model look great!

Are you tired of bujilding cylinders yet?

Have you tried that brand of CA glue I suggested?

john
  5. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

The pictures and the build look great. I love checking in and sharing our obsession with getting these things built right.

--Lizzie
  6. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

The pictures and the build look great. I love checking in and sharing our obsession with getting these things built right.

--Lizzie
  7. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks all for the kind words, however I beleive that if you could see the gaps inbetween the top and bottom peices you would know that it is kind of sloppy.

@ John I live about 40 miles from the nearest hobby shop and have been too lazy to make the trip, especially for a test build but thank you I will look into it if ever I am in the neighborhood of one.
  8. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Thanks all for the kind words, however I beleive that if you could see the gaps inbetween the top and bottom peices you would know that it is kind of sloppy.

@ John I live about 40 miles from the nearest hobby shop and have been too lazy to make the trip, especially for a test build but thank you I will look into it if ever I am in the neighborhood of one.
  9. hpept

hpept Member

You lucky man!!! The closest hobby shop i'm aware of, is in a city 250 km away from here :cry:
  10. hpept

hpept Member

You lucky man!!! The closest hobby shop i'm aware of, is in a city 250 km away from here :cry:
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Yeah sometimes I forget how blessed I am and how such little things that are mere inconviences for me are major problems for others.

In any case not much got done today considering the amount of time I had to work on the project. A grand total of 5 parts were glued on today! I actually got the cowling on last night after the previous batch of pics were posted so that doesn't count.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The exhaust stacks were also already on. I think the vents in the rear of the cowling aren't wide enough. The exhaust stacks are stretching the paper a little.

[​IMG]

One minor note of interest about the Corsairs horizontal tail feathers is that they were interchangable and so are mine. So far I only have base the put on (one of the previously mentioned 5 parts glued on) but maybe tommorrow..
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Yeah sometimes I forget how blessed I am and how such little things that are mere inconviences for me are major problems for others.

In any case not much got done today considering the amount of time I had to work on the project. A grand total of 5 parts were glued on today! I actually got the cowling on last night after the previous batch of pics were posted so that doesn't count.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The exhaust stacks were also already on. I think the vents in the rear of the cowling aren't wide enough. The exhaust stacks are stretching the paper a little.

[​IMG]

One minor note of interest about the Corsairs horizontal tail feathers is that they were interchangable and so are mine. So far I only have base the put on (one of the previously mentioned 5 parts glued on) but maybe tommorrow..
  13. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Danged Unintentional Washout!!

Washout for those of you who are not familiar with washout, it is the twist ofttimes intentionally put into the wings of airplanes so the wingtips have less angle of attack or incidence than the root does. If you are interested in knowing why this is done it's so that the wingtips (where the ailerons are) will stall last thereby maintaing control for just a little longer than would otherwise be the case.

The left wing on my model has more than I would like but it's tolerable(Ididn't design any into the model) but the right wing has twice as much as the left and is glaringly apparent to me. I hope that since the right wing root was the first to be constructed and I had to tweak the design a bit that it won't show up in future versions but I'm still a little miffed. I'm not sure if you can see it but here are a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second pic shows it quite well I think. I rarely build any models other than what I design I just buy them to see other designers methods and I just got Johns Griffins Tempest Mk II and he designed his wing so that the main spar is integral with aft top and bottom skin and I think I'm going to redesign my model the same way and hopefully that will simplify construction. I have also found other ways to make the design better.

Here are a few more pics and then I'm calling it a night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Danged Unintentional Washout!!

Washout for those of you who are not familiar with washout, it is the twist ofttimes intentionally put into the wings of airplanes so the wingtips have less angle of attack or incidence than the root does. If you are interested in knowing why this is done it's so that the wingtips (where the ailerons are) will stall last thereby maintaing control for just a little longer than would otherwise be the case.

The left wing on my model has more than I would like but it's tolerable(Ididn't design any into the model) but the right wing has twice as much as the left and is glaringly apparent to me. I hope that since the right wing root was the first to be constructed and I had to tweak the design a bit that it won't show up in future versions but I'm still a little miffed. I'm not sure if you can see it but here are a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second pic shows it quite well I think. I rarely build any models other than what I design I just buy them to see other designers methods and I just got Johns Griffins Tempest Mk II and he designed his wing so that the main spar is integral with aft top and bottom skin and I think I'm going to redesign my model the same way and hopefully that will simplify construction. I have also found other ways to make the design better.

Here are a few more pics and then I'm calling it a night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well Willja, contrary to your opinion, I think she is spectacular to say the least!
    I will admit though, the more you work on her, the better she gets.
    You seem quite the perfectionist and it shows in your design.
    The paint job, not to mention the design itself, is absolutely stunning to me!

You're constant drive for perfection reminds me of a little story, which by the way, is nonfiction.

I used to work in a prototype shop for Carrier and I was quite the perfectionist myself. I was well known for splitting hairs, so to speak.
    Another technician, who was not a perfectionist at all and was well known for his sloppy work, used to tell me, "We ain't build'n Bulovas".
    Needless to say, he did not work there even half as long as I did.

I'm still trying to find that happy medium myself, somewhere between sloppy and Bulova!

I know you will work out all the kinks on this beauty. You have what it takes.

Russell
  16. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Well Willja, contrary to your opinion, I think she is spectacular to say the least!
    I will admit though, the more you work on her, the better she gets.
    You seem quite the perfectionist and it shows in your design.
    The paint job, not to mention the design itself, is absolutely stunning to me!

You're constant drive for perfection reminds me of a little story, which by the way, is nonfiction.

I used to work in a prototype shop for Carrier and I was quite the perfectionist myself. I was well known for splitting hairs, so to speak.
    Another technician, who was not a perfectionist at all and was well known for his sloppy work, used to tell me, "We ain't build'n Bulovas".
    Needless to say, he did not work there even half as long as I did.

I'm still trying to find that happy medium myself, somewhere between sloppy and Bulova!

I know you will work out all the kinks on this beauty. You have what it takes.

Russell
  17. Gil

Gil Active Member

Into Every Golden Lining a Runner Must Fall

Willja,

Make a couple of wing cradles block the wing on it and mist the wings ever so slightly with water. Let set till dry. It will take out the washout twist if you want to but when it comes to the first test build I wouldn't be overly concerned about a build faux paux. Best that it all fits together like it did on the screen in Rhino..., -Gil
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

Into Every Golden Lining a Runner Must Fall

Willja,

Make a couple of wing cradles block the wing on it and mist the wings ever so slightly with water. Let set till dry. It will take out the washout twist if you want to but when it comes to the first test build I wouldn't be overly concerned about a build faux paux. Best that it all fits together like it did on the screen in Rhino..., -Gil
  19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Gil,
    You seem to be talking about a way to take out the twist during a build, which is fine and dandy in itself and an excellent suggestion, but Willja is trying to remove it from the design, an altogether different subject.

At least, that is the way I see it.
  20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Gil,
    You seem to be talking about a way to take out the twist during a build, which is fine and dandy in itself and an excellent suggestion, but Willja is trying to remove it from the design, an altogether different subject.

At least, that is the way I see it.