Designing the F2G

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Willja67, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I have spent the last couple of days working on layout and design issues and have got the point that I can start building again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These first 2 pics show the leading edge of the first wing that I built and the problems associated with not having the leading edge parallel to the grain and also the fit problem with the middle piece. Sorry for the blur but I think all the relavent stuff is visible.

So a big thank you to Bill (Silverw) for telling me about grain the other side looks a lot better ( the fit issue was also mostly taken care of).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's almost incredible the differnence between working with the grain opposite to what you need compared to ideally placed. I couldn't beleive I was using the same paper and I think the difference shows even in my bad photos.

[​IMG]

Some seams are obvious but I tried my best to put the seams that I could in the same place as panel lines (excepting the tail cone) You can't see one seam in this shot that's not located in the same place the sheet metal has a seam.
  2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I have spent the last couple of days working on layout and design issues and have got the point that I can start building again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These first 2 pics show the leading edge of the first wing that I built and the problems associated with not having the leading edge parallel to the grain and also the fit problem with the middle piece. Sorry for the blur but I think all the relavent stuff is visible.

So a big thank you to Bill (Silverw) for telling me about grain the other side looks a lot better ( the fit issue was also mostly taken care of).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's almost incredible the differnence between working with the grain opposite to what you need compared to ideally placed. I couldn't beleive I was using the same paper and I think the difference shows even in my bad photos.

[​IMG]

Some seams are obvious but I tried my best to put the seams that I could in the same place as panel lines (excepting the tail cone) You can't see one seam in this shot that's not located in the same place the sheet metal has a seam.
  3. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Somebody please shoot me

This is a fatigue induced double post and I would be grateful to any admin that happens to see this if they will delete it.
  4. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Somebody please shoot me

This is a fatigue induced double post and I would be grateful to any admin that happens to see this if they will delete it.
  5. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Somebody please shoot me

I'm starting the engine. Although I only intend to build 2 rows of cylinders that still six parts per cylinder x 14 plus 7 magnetos x 3parts per mag plus at least 15 other parts and I have A.D.D. Not too bad (I managed to get this project this far) but it's killing me already and I only have 2 mags and 1 cylinder done.

Here are some pics and I'm too tired to post further comments tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Somebody please shoot me

I'm starting the engine. Although I only intend to build 2 rows of cylinders that still six parts per cylinder x 14 plus 7 magnetos x 3parts per mag plus at least 15 other parts and I have A.D.D. Not too bad (I managed to get this project this far) but it's killing me already and I only have 2 mags and 1 cylinder done.

Here are some pics and I'm too tired to post further comments tonight.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ad Infinitum

Willja,

This engine shows why turbines replaced piston engines...,

-Gil
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ad Infinitum

Willja,

This engine shows why turbines replaced piston engines...,

-Gil
  9. GT5500

GT5500 Member

This is starting to look like a professional kit now, well done, that engine looks great. I don't blame you for only building part of it, it looks like a long slog, is the engine visible when assembled, could the cowling be made removable?
  10. GT5500

GT5500 Member

This is starting to look like a professional kit now, well done, that engine looks great. I don't blame you for only building part of it, it looks like a long slog, is the engine visible when assembled, could the cowling be made removable?
  11. Willja67

Willja67 Member

You're right Gil, only the military ever used this engine due to it's complexity and I haven't even designed the intake and exhaust manifolds just cause I don't think that they will be visible.

Gt550 I guess that last answers your question, no I haven't even thought about displaying the engine. I'd have to build engine mounts and all the manifolds and all the stuff on the back of the engine plus there were baffles that guided the air around the cylinders. It would be a model in it's own right worthy of the same selling price as the rest of the airframe.
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

You're right Gil, only the military ever used this engine due to it's complexity and I haven't even designed the intake and exhaust manifolds just cause I don't think that they will be visible.

Gt550 I guess that last answers your question, no I haven't even thought about displaying the engine. I'd have to build engine mounts and all the manifolds and all the stuff on the back of the engine plus there were baffles that guided the air around the cylinders. It would be a model in it's own right worthy of the same selling price as the rest of the airframe.
  13. charliec

charliec Active Member

I seem to recall that the Boeing Stratocruiser airliner used this engine as well.

To need 71 litres of swept volume to get 3055 hp is just depressing. The Napier
    Sabre VII produced 3500 hp from 36.7 litres.

Regards,

Charlie
  14. charliec

charliec Active Member

I seem to recall that the Boeing Stratocruiser airliner used this engine as well.

To need 71 litres of swept volume to get 3055 hp is just depressing. The Napier
    Sabre VII produced 3500 hp from 36.7 litres.

Regards,

Charlie
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well if the Wasp Major was anyhting like it's younger brother it was probably quite reliable. There are multiple stories about those radial engines taking massive damage (a P-47 came home with an unexploded cannon shell in one of the cylinders) and the WM only weighs about 700 lbs more than the Sabre VII mentioned. Pretty good considering it had about double the displacement.

edit

I went to get some better figures and it turns out the Wasp Major weighs more on the order of 900 lbs more than the Sabre but if you compare the power to weight ratio the Sabre does come out on top 1.48 horsepower/lb engine weight compared to 1.14 but that's still not a huge difference especially considering that it had half the displacement.

Forgive me for defending the underdog but this is my favorite plane of all time. And if we look at later versions of the engine some of those were rated at 4300 horsepower (how reliable the source is I don't know). Anyway...
  16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Well if the Wasp Major was anyhting like it's younger brother it was probably quite reliable. There are multiple stories about those radial engines taking massive damage (a P-47 came home with an unexploded cannon shell in one of the cylinders) and the WM only weighs about 700 lbs more than the Sabre VII mentioned. Pretty good considering it had about double the displacement.

edit

I went to get some better figures and it turns out the Wasp Major weighs more on the order of 900 lbs more than the Sabre but if you compare the power to weight ratio the Sabre does come out on top 1.48 horsepower/lb engine weight compared to 1.14 but that's still not a huge difference especially considering that it had half the displacement.

Forgive me for defending the underdog but this is my favorite plane of all time. And if we look at later versions of the engine some of those were rated at 4300 horsepower (how reliable the source is I don't know). Anyway...
  17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

The engine has been progressing better than i thought it would. Partially I suppose due to the use of super glue. I should warn you all that if you see a pack of six little tubes in Wal mart for 97 cents walk the other way. I've only managed to get the stuff to actually stick about 50% of the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm reposting these screenshots to remind you how the cylinder looks(I can't take pics good at the moment). In practice this is rediculously hard to form(the top part of the cylinder itself). It took me six cylinders to finally get it right. I was seriously considering redesigning it to make it easier to build until I found that I could do it so for anyone that buys this model be prepared for some cussing.

This is what I have accomplished so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got tired of building cylinders so I built one blade and the cowling. Just a note on size, the prop was 14 ft in diameter so the blades were somewhere in the neighborhood of 6'6" notice how long the engine is an there is more stuff that was mounted on the back that I haven't designed!

So except for the cylinders I have been pretty happy with everything so far. And the blades do require a little forming but they have a nice shape when done. Just one little footnote on the blades, the front of one of #57's was painted white (the back was left black) because it made the prop look like it was going in slow motion.
  18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

The engine has been progressing better than i thought it would. Partially I suppose due to the use of super glue. I should warn you all that if you see a pack of six little tubes in Wal mart for 97 cents walk the other way. I've only managed to get the stuff to actually stick about 50% of the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm reposting these screenshots to remind you how the cylinder looks(I can't take pics good at the moment). In practice this is rediculously hard to form(the top part of the cylinder itself). It took me six cylinders to finally get it right. I was seriously considering redesigning it to make it easier to build until I found that I could do it so for anyone that buys this model be prepared for some cussing.

This is what I have accomplished so far:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got tired of building cylinders so I built one blade and the cowling. Just a note on size, the prop was 14 ft in diameter so the blades were somewhere in the neighborhood of 6'6" notice how long the engine is an there is more stuff that was mounted on the back that I haven't designed!

So except for the cylinders I have been pretty happy with everything so far. And the blades do require a little forming but they have a nice shape when done. Just one little footnote on the blades, the front of one of #57's was painted white (the back was left black) because it made the prop look like it was going in slow motion.
  19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Will,

Go to a hobby store (Hobbytown USA for me) and get MAXI-CURE brand CA glue. I use the EXTRA THICK and get some INSTA-SET accelerator. This is the best CA for paper I've found yet. It ain't cheap! But it works great for me!

I've tried the EXTREME POWER brand from Hobby Lobby but it doesn't stick to the paper as good.

Get some of the tips to control the amount of glue being put out and I think you will be amazed at how well it sticks small parts and how fast it works with the accelerator. Thanks Rob for the accelerator tip!

john
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Will,

Go to a hobby store (Hobbytown USA for me) and get MAXI-CURE brand CA glue. I use the EXTRA THICK and get some INSTA-SET accelerator. This is the best CA for paper I've found yet. It ain't cheap! But it works great for me!

I've tried the EXTREME POWER brand from Hobby Lobby but it doesn't stick to the paper as good.

Get some of the tips to control the amount of glue being put out and I think you will be amazed at how well it sticks small parts and how fast it works with the accelerator. Thanks Rob for the accelerator tip!

john