Designing a Logo for the W&N

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I agree with everyone else that the circular shield would seem more appropriate for the 1950's, especially early 50's, but you other logo with the "N" superimposed on the "W" might look good as bold lettering on the sides of your geeps. If you do that I think it would be better to have the "W" in wide lettering, and the contrasting "N" in thin lettering floating inside, so that you could see the entire outline of the "W". This would also draw attention to the "W" first, then to the "N". You could also try it with the darker color on the "W".

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I've been following a tutorial I read, which details some steps to follow during the design phase of building a railroad. The tutorial mentioned that you should create a system map, so that you can get a better feel for how your model railroad would operate. Here is the system map I created for the W & N:

wnsystem6mn.jpg

Trackage between Norwalk (home of the W & N yard) and Fremont is shared with the NKP. From there, all other track was laid by the W & N Railroad. I designed this system to create a Toledo bypass or shortcut via Bowling Green for NKP traffic as well. The trackage rights with New York Central provide the W & N its own route into the city of Toledo. Future plans could involve an agreement with DT&I for an alternate route into the city of Lima.

As I fully plan on having a passenger train on my modest layout in addition to freight, quite a bit of added revenue could be gained with this system. The mail/packages alone could justify this route. Anyway, I just wanted to share what I've come up with. Let me know if this seems realistic!

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
You might want to enhance your road's profitability by deleting some of the competing lines. (If you can add a fictitious line, you can drop a real one.)
Do you have connections with any lines that bypass Chicago? If bypassing Toledo is profitable, then ...

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
MilesWestern -

1) I can't remember the exact source, but I think it came from Rails and Trails. A very nice website for Ohio maps. There's a plugin required to get some of them, but it was well worth it. I took a real railroad map from around 1925 and traced over some of the lines in PhotoShop to highlight ones I wanted to tie the W&N history to. I then added in my railroad.

2) The only part of the W&N that shares trackage is from Norwalk to Fremont (which is NKP). The rest of the line I routed myself.

60103 -

Competition was part of the reason why I routed my railroad the way I did. This is Nickel Plate territory. As you can see from the map, the blue spreads far and wide. Larger railroads that have trackage here like DT&I and NYC are basically just "passing through". The exception being B&O, which has a decent sized presence in this area. B&O has a branchline to the city of Bowling Green, which also now served by W&N.

NKP routes to Chicago, but the W&N doesn't go that far west.

papio

Sep 6, 2004
Papillion, NE
Wow, just looked at the map and found your line runs thru Pemberville--my Aunt and Uncle lived there. There were several summers that we'd travel on the Pennsylvania RR from Newark NJ to visit them. I remember spending time at the depot "bothering" the employees. Was that a NYC line that ran thru there?-- it's been so long ago! Ed

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I think this map is from 1924, so some lines are probably outdated. According to my research, the Toledo & Ohio Central was "acquired" by NYC in 1910, "leased" to NYC in 1922, and then "merged" into NYC in 1952. In 1966, NYC and Pennsylvania RR merged and later formed Penn Central in 1968. At some point in the mid-70s (1976?), Conrail took over and then was bought by CSX and Norfolk Southern in 1997. In 1998, CSX took over remaining T&OC trackage north of Columbus, Ohio.

That was the long-winded version! :thumb:

So I guess the answer to your question is: It depends on when you visited your aunt and uncle. I'm glad you made those comments, it forced me to do some research I hadn't thought about before. I need to get a more recent map so I know what my little fake shortline is dealing with.

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
I edited the paint scheme (again) to something a bit less whimsical. W&N is adopting a straightforward no-nonsense way of doing business, so I've decided to tone down the flash and flair...at least on freight service. I'm working on something for my passenger fleet that will be sure to please the eye.

Pics coming soon!

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I like the final revision. Very 1950s. I wonder what the freight cab-unit scheme is like? The nose stripe can't be the same, anyway. Unless, of course, the W&N was like the N&W and dieselized after the F-unit.

GeorgeHO

May 3, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I was just looking through "Trains" July 2001 issue, and they featured the Wheeling and Lake Erie Railroad which interconnects with your railroad. When I saw the map, I thought it was similar trackage to yours, but the W&LE is east of you, going from Toledo to Hagerstown (with trackage rights). The paint jobs on their deisels (mostly Geeps) are specatcular, and I was wondering if that railraod served as a partial inspiration for you?

2-8-2

Jan 6, 2005
Delaware, Ohio
www.wn-rr.net
The W&LE, NKP, and Erie-Lackwanna are all inspirations for me. That coupled with being near old DT&I tracks and the former Lima Locomotive Works. As far as paint schemes go, I wanted to come up with something that I felt reflected the 50s era, along with something not of the norm. It was hard to design a paint scheme that hasn't been done 100 times.

My model railroad is ultimately a tribute to my late grandfather, who spent many hours entertaining me with his when I was younger. He was among other things, a farmer who loved John Deere tractors. More than anything, that's where the green and yellow colors came from.

As for the scheme itself...I'd say about 90% of the images I've looked at feature some kind of stripe that points down in the front. I felt like being different, so the W&N will point up. Hopefully in the direction of profits!