Design help!!!

ajroland

Sep 4, 2005
Eastman, Georgia
Ok, I don't know if anyone is interested but here goes. I have a 115"x91" room that I am building an N scale layout in. I have built the benchwork around the room style with foam top. I want to model modern day Norfolk Southern in my area the south. I don't plan on running passenger trains just freights and switchers. The longest cars will most likely be autoracks. I have some idea of what I can copy on the prototype, but, how to make it work in my space keeping the radius right etc. is very hard. I want the layout to be as realistic as I can make it, but, it does not have to be exactly like the real thing.

I am posting a copies of my space and a hand sketch of a yard in my area and some industries on a branch line. I would love to incorporate these into my plan somehow. As you can see from my track plan I am having no luck. I have the 3rdPlanit software and I am trying.

If anyone feels up to it. See what you can do. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention this is my first layout.

Attachments

• ajlayout1.jpg
    ajlayout1.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Branchline.jpg
    Branchline.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Tennilleyard.jpg
    Tennilleyard.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 51

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Hi ajroland, :wave:

I just love to fool around with track plans, and space constraints make it more fun. I don't know if I got what you wanted, but I had fun doing it. Perhaps there is a few ideas here you can use. :rolleyes:

TrainClown :wave:

Attachments

• track plan 3.jpg
    track plan 3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 48
  • track plan 1.jpg
    track plan 1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 64
  • track plan 2.jpg
    track plan 2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 64

ajroland

Sep 4, 2005
Eastman, Georgia
Thanks, I like the way you placed the mainline at an angle through the yard, I've never thought of doing that. What is the radius of the curve going to the little 7" wide section? I'm just curious. I can use this, it has really helped me see some things I had not thought of. Thanks

I also notice that you managed to get a wye in the plan, I've been trying and trying to get that done. Drawing on paper freehand things work, but putting them into 3rdPlanit is tough.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
A through yard design would be more functional and provide for better operating design.
I like the clowns initial plan but if you raise the outside trackwork and run the yard underneath through the curve, you can end up with a very nice through yard of adequate length for good sized trains, and eastbound and westbound recieveing tracks. just a thought of course. my artwork is not near as pretty as the Clowns though :D

Attachments

• Train clowns funny track.jpg
    Train clowns funny track.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 54

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Thats a nine inch radious curve going into the "Y" on the 7" leg. There are 9", 10" and 12", basicly, aside from the swoops on the flex track. Most of the curves have easements.

Tileguy, I like your alteration to the plan. I will add this to my design and add the pic later.

TrainClown ;)

ajroland

Sep 4, 2005
Eastman, Georgia
Yet, another thing that I've not really considered and that is running tracks at different levels. I have just been thinking of all tracks at same grade. I was a little afraid of elevations. However, this does not look like it would be overly complicated to build.
Thanks for the input.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
First I recommend by passing the 9" curves since that usually limits locomotive types.Also I would fore go any main line track running through the yard and the use of unrealistic grades.

I will second TrainClown's suggestions. :thumb:

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Hi, it's me again. :rolleyes:

I was thinkin about the input we had on the first design, and, bein board today, decided to give it another try. this plan has a run through yard, a storage area on the 7" wing, and more spurs for industrys. No elevations in this one. What dose yall thinks? :D

Attachments

• N gauge plan 6.jpg
    N gauge plan 6.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 47
  • N gauge plan 5.jpg
    N gauge plan 5.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 54
  • N gauge plan 4.jpg
    N gauge plan 4.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 57

ajroland

Sep 4, 2005
Eastman, Georgia
What can I say? You have a talent. I could not have come up with a plan like this in months. I liked the first plan and have been playing with it trying to soften some of the tight turns. This new plan is really good. I like the storage on the 7" section this could be used as storage for interchanges. It looks like you did this in 3rd Planit. Is there any chance you could email me a 3pi file so that I can use it in my program? I don't see any really tight curves on this plan. I really like it. Thank you, very much.

email is troland1@cstel.net

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Beauty TC.................you should get bored more often :D

Sorry it took so long to get back in here, i was indisposed at the hospital undergoing surgery.

Thats a builder in my humble opinion,and a dman fine one at that!! :thumb:

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Another masterpiece TC. :thumb: My only critique of it is that I counted 39 turnouts or Ys. At $7 each (the lowest price I have found for Atlas, not even mentioning Peco and the like) that comes out to about $275 just for the turnouts. :eek: :D I had the same sticker shock when I priced out the first layout I designed. :rolleyes: If taken a bit at a time it isn't so bad, but then waiting for backorders to be filled is even more frustrating. :mad: I know that this really isn't helping, but it might put a little perspective on the whole thing. :D :wave:

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Well Clark, when I am creating a track plan, I don't think about cost. Unless that is one of the stipulations to consider. When dreaming of what would be possible, having a monetary ceiling could stifle the creative flow. I never expect people to use my track plans verbatim, but rather I hope it gives them an insight as to what could be done and will help to lubricate there own creative machine. :thumb:

Personally, I would like to hand lay my switches, as well as my track. I'm still experimenting with this, but so far I like the challenge. I'm building an 11 turnout switching yard for a test/practice.

Lots of fun. :rolleyes:

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
TrainClown said:
Well Clark, when I am creating a track plan, I don't think about cost. Unless that is one of the stipulations to consider. When dreaming of what would be possible, having a monetary ceiling could stifle the creative flow. I never expect people to use my track plans verbatim, but rather I hope it gives them an insight as to what could be done and will help to lubricate there own creative machine. :thumb:
TC, I have to admit that I don't think about cost either. You go for the gusto and it's only when you finally come up with that plan where everything works, all the industries fit just where you want them, and the track dynamics work out to a tee. It is then that finance rears it's ugly head. :( :( You do inspiring work, and even if reality requires it to be scaled back, at least you have a sound base from which to do the pruning. :thumb: I believe that first layouts are the biggest hurdle a novice has to jump. After that you not only have experiance, you have bits and pieces left over that can take the edge off of the next one. :D
Personally, I would like to hand lay my switches, as well as my track. I'm still experimenting with this, but so far I like the challenge. I'm building an 11 turnout switching yard for a test/practice. Lots of fun. :rolleyes:

You are a better man than I. I still have trouble laying flex track on corners. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

ajroland

Sep 4, 2005
Eastman, Georgia
turnout cost

The plan does have a lot of turnouts. However, I have tweaked it and I'm sure as I build the layout more changes will be made. I'm not planning on laying all the track at one time. It will be done in stages as my budget allows. The help with the plan did exactly what I had hoped, it sparked my creative juices. It helped me to see what could be done in my space. I really appreciate all the help. As for brands I'm stuck on PECO.

I had been trying to come up with a plan for weeks. Again, thanks for the help. I love this web site. I think I have become hooked on this model railroad, I am really enjoying the hobby.