Desfiladeiro do Vale do Sol

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
The control panel

Finally here's a pic of the control panel, I'll have to add 3 more buttons since I added recently the "industrial line". The screws aren't on the place. The leds on top are there to check the status of an hidden turnout.

Attachments

• 18112003_d.jpg
    18112003_d.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 172

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Nelson,

That's a great looking layout for such a small space! I'm tinkering with track plans right now for a 2'x4' layout. What is the grade on the 1st level passenger line? I'm trying to determine what the practical limits are...

Thanks!

Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
Nelson:

It would be great if you could visit us. I'm in ISEL from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. usually, but the best time to pay us a visit is from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Feel free to appear when you want to...

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Well, I just ran a test on my office layout. I ran all but one of my locomotives pulling a short ore train (two hoppers plus a bobber caboose) up a 10% incline over turns as sharp as 9.75 inches, and they ran fine. It barely phased my Bachmann 2-8-0 and Life-Like SW-9/1200.

Of course, I'm not planning on such an extreme grade on the 2x4 layout...

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
Hi there roryglasgow, the grade is a bit steep, it's 8% but in my defense I can say that this is a passenger only line. I pretend to buy a Railbus from fleischman, this one:

http://www.lokshop.de/Img/FLE/7/4/7400.jpg

The infos about it can be found here:

http://homepage.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/ziegler.uwe/SCHIBUS/VT95.HTM

Since all the infos about this unit are in german I can't determine if it would be able to make trough this steep grade, maybe someone could help me?

To Clerk: Thanks for the advice on the bridge.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Thanks for the info! I figure an 8% grade is an easy compromise to make considering the size of the layout. If any purists say anything, just say that the line is selectively compressed! :)

You can use the Altavista Babelfish translator to translate that page from German to English They don't translate German to Portuguese, but they do translate English to Portuguese.

Here is the link: http://babelfish.altavista.com

After a quick scan of the page, I didn't see anything about the grades it was meant to handle...

-Rory

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
Updated!!!

Well, long time with no updates, I like to do things really slow :) . I posted on other threads the evolution of the layout but I'm returning to the original one.

This was done across this weekend, it's a level cross started yesterday:

01.JPG

And how it stands today:

01.JPG

There are some things to finish up such as warning signs and some more vegetation to be added but here it is on another perspective:

02.JPG

And it's all for now, maybe I get some more things done before christmas ;)