Desfiladeiro do Vale do Sol

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
Hi there, my name is Nelson Almeida, 28 yo, and I've been reading this forum for almost 6 month, I started a N scale layout a year ago but only recently I bought a good digital camera so I tought it was time to share my work with rest of you. I live in Lisbon, Portugal (that little and sunny place in south Europe) and since this was my first layout I didn't go for historical accuracy, despite that I tried to model a central Europe railroad somewhere around the eighties. I live in an appartment so space IS a problem, that was one of the reasons I went for N scale and the size of the layout is 60*120 cm (24*48 inch), one of the objectives is to put as much variety as possible without "overpopulating" the layout, to start this first photo is an overview of the layout, I added recently a new branch that goes to a coal mine facility. (Sorry about the quality but I had to shrunk the photos to fit in The Gauge requirements)

Attachments

• 15112003_a.jpg
    15112003_a.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 412

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
On this one I need some advice, I built this bridge of a Vollmer kit, as you can see it's a blue colour that doesn't seem very real, what colour should I use to make it look real? I think weathering n scale bits is the most challenging and sometimes frustrating part of the hobby, I mean the bits and surfaces are so small that most of the times the washes and the drybrushing don't have any effect on them :(

Attachments

• 15112003_d.jpg
    15112003_d.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 396

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
Well this is the last one for now, are these little people so occupied that they can't see the ufo aproaching? then again it may just be the lenses of the digicam :)

Oh, I forgott to add, I'm a big admirer of Robin's scratch&batch work, and more amazing it's the scale he uses, I mean I even have dificulties assembling a n scale kit let alone make it from scratch. Cheers also to Shamus wich work must be considered art for sure, Val's work also stand from the rest and her's website is really great. Finally thanks to eveyone who contributes to this forum for the inspiration I gathered here.

Attachments

• 15112003_e.jpg
    15112003_e.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 392

rguyett

Oct 22, 2003
calgary alberta
Visit site
welcome to the gauge. Your layout looks good and is coming along nicely and I enjoyed the pics. keep us posted as you progress we sure like to be kept updated.
Yes you mentioned a few of the really true artists on this site and i also admire their work and craftmanship

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi Nalmeida:

Welcome to the posting/public side of the gauge. Enjoyed seeing your work and look forward to seeing more as the coming months go by. Don't know about European standards, but most steel bridges in the U.S. are black, gray or a charcoal color.

BTW, it's probably a good thing the LPBs don't notice the UFOs, if they did, they'd probably notice us and then they'd REALLY freak!

Regard'S',
Ted

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
Welcome to the gauge!

Your layout is really coming out nicely! You are right in that the first pictures don't seem to do it enough justice! I am glad you included that closeup! Very cool indeed!

Xaniel

Jun 8, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
modelismo.luislopes.net
howdy-ohhh! Anoter portuguese modeller! Great. N Scale!!! Even more great. 2x4 foot layout? this is getting better.

Great layout, it's pretty colored!

3 things to ask:
- Rolling stock? what do you have?
- From what part of lisbon are you? (I live next Parque das Nações)
- How did you find The Gauge?

Welcome!!! Please keep us posted!!!

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
First of all thanks to everyone for the positive feedback. As to questions made by Daniel, well, since I started in this hobby only a year ago I only have one loco, it's a diesel one from the series V200 from Deutsche Bundesbahn (DB) painted in the beige/blue scheme. I also have a mix of freight cars and a fuel one. I would like to buy a Rail Bus from Fleishman (74000) for passenger transport since this is a small layout, but it'll have to wait since prices are very high.
As for the second question, I really live a bit north of Lisbon in Castanheira do Ribatejo but I work in Olivais very near Parque das Nações, I commute in Gare do Oriente.
Finally I found The Gauge trough a search in Google and I found it to be the reference in the web for railroad modelers.
Some previous photos from the layout can be found here:
http://www.div2psp.net/n.almeida/modelismo/escalan.htm

Oct 14, 2003
Lisboa, Portugal
Congratulations on your layout, Nelson.

Apesar de eu não trabalhar com a escala N, gosto muito de ver os modelos e de ver o que se faz nessa escala.

Com que então, Olivais?

Conheces o ISEL? Eu trabalho cá dentro no Núcleo de Modelismo. Talvez um dia destes possas aparecer para a gente conversar um bocadinho....

And now, before our friends from The-Gauge say I'm speaking in a language they don't understand...:D

Despite I don't work with N Scale, I enjoy very much watching the models and everything done in that scale.

So, Olivais?
Do ypu know ISEL? I work there, in Nucleo de Modelismo. Maybe one of this days you can drop by for a little chat...

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Very Nice!

That is an excellent piece of work, Nelson! Thumbs up to you!
thumbs.gif

Originally posted by nalmeida
On this one I need some advice, I built this bridge of a Vollmer kit, as you can see it's a blue colour that doesn't seem very real, what colour should I use to make it look real? I think weathering n scale bits is the most challenging and sometimes frustrating part of the hobby, I mean the bits and surfaces are so small that most of the times the washes and the drybrushing don't have any effect on them :(

I would recommend painting the bridge a "light" black (add a very small bit of flat white) colour, and then give it a rusty drybrushing. The "light" black allows for better viewing of details, and easier photography.

Keep in mind...I'm no expert. :)

nalmeida

Nov 12, 2003
Lisboa - Portugal
nalmeida.web.pt
Some more pics

Hi there, I've taken some more photos, but first of all:

Ricardo: Of course I would like to visit your "nucleo" maybe we can arrange a date that serves both, I work in "2ª Divisão da PSP" from 9 to 5 so during this period would be great.

Daniel: I liked the pics in your site, I think later I'll ask for some tips on weathering track.

Lighthorseman: At least two persons saw the question, thanks a lot for your advice, I'll give it a try.

So let's start first with the trackplan:

Attachments

• 18112003_a.jpg
    18112003_a.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 174