Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
The right arm (from the ship's POV):

DSCF2836.jpg

The first two elements have a white center which has to be cut out. However, if you do this the parts will become extremely fragile because the rim at the longer ends of the oval is very thin. Thus I chose to leave a thicker rim first...

DSCF2837.jpg

... goued the part together and THEN cut out the rest of the center piece.
DSCF2838.jpg

Another run:

DSCF2839.jpg

DSCF2840.jpg

DSCF2841.jpg

DSCF2842.jpg

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
@Revell-Fan This is looking GREAT!
My only suggestion to you, would be to build it with either the glue tabs coming from the circle parts or just double (or even triple) up on thickness of the circle parts and do not use glue tabs at all, then glue the skin to the outer edge of the circles (especially with the circles that have a hole in them). That way when you join the arm segments together, you will get a smoother connection and it will look like one solid piece.
I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Thank you! :)

My only suggestion to you, would be to build it with either the glue tabs coming from the circle parts or just double (or even triple) up on thickness of the circle parts and do not use glue tabs at all, then glue the skin to the outer edge of the circles (especially with the circles that have a hole in them).

Oh, you mean like I designed the Colonial One? I'll give it a try with the other arm.

Vger did a remarkable job with the slicing. Everything fits and the seams are hidden well by the texture. :)

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Feb 8, 2004
Davenport, Iowa
The parts for the top dome, arranged in an expressionistic fashion:

And a dome on top. Its petals are glued together using a small paper strip made from left-over pieces of the page.

View attachment 151546

View attachment 151547

View attachment 151548

The dome is glued to the center piece which is now complete.

Now come the arms. Stay tuned! :)

I like this way of making domes, better looking (INMHO) than making from decreasing cone sections or common petal construction. Also MUCH easier to build! I am starting to incorporate this method in my newer designs. Once day, I'm going to rework the TOS Enterprise warp nacelle domes to this method, never liked building using petals, but it's all I knew to do at the time.

Best Regards,

Reactions: Revell-Fan

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
This looks awesome!!

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
:)

The right arm assembly continues.

DSCF3037.jpg

Several parts are joined together to form a corner:

DSCF3038.jpg

DSCF3039.jpg

And the arm is extended with these:

DSCF3040.jpg

DSCF3041.jpg

DSCF3042.jpg

Looks like a bone, doesn't it?

cartoon-dog-clipart_2.png

source: http://dog-pictures.clipartonline.n...artoon-dog-clipart_2.png?height=320&width=214

"YUMMY!" ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Here come the first greeblies - and the first part to cause trouble.

DSCF3043.jpg

The position of the light-grey part with the red dot was somewhat of a mystery to me. It wouldn't fit on either side, till I put it in the middle of the ring. Yep, that was it: The part is a former. It has to be inserted because it makes sure that the ring keeps its shape.

DSCF3044.jpg

DSCF3045.jpg

This part looks very complicated:

DSCF3046.jpg

However, after assembling each sub-component this shape fell into my hands:

DSCF3047.jpg

A little worm. ;)

DSCF3048.jpg

To be continued..! :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I'm jumping to the head now because I have noticed something:

Assembly ist pretty much straight forward and simple.

DSCF3049.jpg

DSCF3050.jpg

DSCF3051.jpg

Now take a look please:

DSCF3052.jpg

The head has to be pushed over the arm and glued into place. So far so good, however ...

DSCF3053.jpg

... the recess of the arm is concave and the recess on the head is convex.

DSCF3054.jpg

DSCF3056.jpg

DSCF3059.jpg

This leads to a gap.

Let's see how I'll fix that... :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If I had a bone that looked like that, I'd go to the doctor quick!!

This really is coming out great. Rhaven is right about that tabs, you will see the other side will fit tighter, you may find yourself cutting out some of those sections to get a tighter fit on the tabbed side, I can see an accrued intolerance developing. That could be filled with glue and painted over too, but getting rid of those tabs will eliminate the off plane problem. :)

I agree Ron, the use of conical parts is preferable over petals. It's more pleasing to the eye and the last piece can easily be made into a convex shape, as it is small, and a ball shaped object can rub the paper into the shape needed. :)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
It is amazing to see how the texture disguises much of the seams. Vger also provided some extra parts to cover the seams up. :)

Reactions: bigpetr

Vger1981

Jan 6, 2009
Slovakia
Wow this thing really moves on! You are doing great Revell-Fan, I wasn't even sure for some time if this thing can be build as it is.
About the right arm cap, it should be convex as the head is, you just bended it around wrong axis, horizontal is right, vertical is wrong. Try to make a hole in the center of the part and pull it with some tool, it should pop out. If it doesn't, I can make some special parts for the gap filling for you, or you can try to print it again and cover it with another piece. This is hard to spot thing , I should put some kind of warning to the instructions about it. Also, I've seen finished Derelict on another forum, (man, it was fast and looks good assembled, I was surprised) and I didn't noticed this problem there. I'll contact the guy about this.
Anyway, you can wrote me anytime if any problem will occur.
Keep up the good work, your step by step photo guide will be really helpfull for the others! ;)

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
A fellow modeler at the German Sci-Fi modeling forum Phoxim has already pointed that out (I'm posting the build there, too). I applied some gentle pressure to the top and bottom of the cone - and guess what happened: The cap jumped outward and turned from concave to convex. Now it fits! :)

@Vger1981 : Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it. I am writing down everything I notice during the build and will send you a list with suggestions to improve the kit. I saw the other build, it looks awesome! This kit is so well designed that the parts almost fall into place. Major kudos to you! The greeblies are a tad more difficult (mainly because of the small size of the parts). But if you work carefully everything should be fine. So far I haven't noticed any major trouble (aside from the cap issue and a few missing flaps). The new graphic showing the shape of the cap looks excellent. This will indeed avoid someone from making the same mistake I did. I'll send you a mail once the build is finished. :)

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Feb 8, 2004
Davenport, Iowa
Vger1981, WONDERFUL design work! I'm loving the texturing.

Revel-Fan, nice build and progress photos/report!

Thank you for this!

Best Regards,

Reactions: Revell-Fan