Derailment

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Near Belleville Ontario - a train carrying propane derailed and exploded. One of the tankers was blown a kilometer and a half (shown by the red arrow). This is the 4th derailment in 8 days and it is believed it was caused by an overheated wheel. Amazingly, no one was seriously hurt.

:eek: Val

Attachments

• derailment.jpg
    derailment.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 219

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Graham:
Think about how far your car goes on a tank of gas; then figure how far it would go on a tank car of gas.
Now figure how fast it would go if all the gas went at once.
Val:
"an overheated wheel"? Could they mean an overheated bearing, or "hot (journal) box"? or was the brake a-dragging?

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
From CBC Ottawa "An initial investigation suggests a wheel on one of the trains caught fire before it derailed and hit another train sitting on a siding." Two members of the crew of the stationary train were taken to hospital with non life-threatening burns, so I was wrong when I initially said no one was hurt.

I also found this pic of the fireball.

Attachments

• cp_derail_032402.jpg
    cp_derail_032402.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 214

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Flying trains

Val:
In Tuesday's Globe & Mail, Orland French had a column about this, partly talking about how the train had just passed Belleville where he lives.
I have a copy of the report on the Missississaugua derailment of years ago, where the derailment involved not only flammable gases, but also poisonous ones, and a large suburban city was evacuated for nearly a week.

Rusty Stumps

NASA does this all the time only a little more controlled!:D

Like the astronaut commented when asked by a reporter what it felt like sitting in the space capsul just before launch....

"how would you feel sitting on 500 tons of high explosives all built by the lowest bidder?"

The rail car just didn't achive orbit that's all!:p

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Looking at that scorched hulk I almost can't believe that nobody was seriously hurt! :eek:

There must have been a whole squadron of guardian angels flying around at the moment of the crash! :D :D :D

Ron

Duckman

Nov 22, 2002
Whitby Ontario
Visit site
Toast

Hey guys, I was standing next to Scott (Gibbs) when he took those shots,and I,ll tell you ,Standing next to the burned out unit, I,m amazed no one was killed that day. This unit was only 6 months old with a price tag of over 3 Million bucks. John our tour guide said it will cost aprox. 1.5 Million to fix. She,s not a write off. Duckman...:eek:

Duckman

Nov 22, 2002
Whitby Ontario
Visit site
Toast

Hey guys, I was standing next to Scott (Gibbs) when he took those shots,and I,ll tell you ,Standing next to the burned out unit, I,m amazed no one was killed that day. This unit was only 6 months old with a price tag of over 3 Million bucks. John our tour guide said it will cost aprox. 1.5 Million to fix. She,s not a write off. Duckman...:eek: