Derailment

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by spitfire, Feb 23, 2003.

1. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

Near Belleville Ontario - a train carrying propane derailed and exploded. One of the tankers was blown a kilometer and a half (shown by the red arrow). This is the 4th derailment in 8 days and it is believed it was caused by an overheated wheel. Amazingly, no one was seriously hurt.

:eek: Val

Attached Files:

2. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Incredible photo Val. Thank God no one was seriously hurt. Can you imagine watching a tank car flying overhead that far!?
    Ralph
  3. grumbeast

grumbeast Member

Thats an incredible photograph Val,

I can't believe that tank car flew so far!
    at least no one was hurt

Graham :eek:
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Graham:
    Think about how far your car goes on a tank of gas; then figure how far it would go on a tank car of gas.
    Now figure how fast it would go if all the gas went at once.
    Val:
    "an overheated wheel"? Could they mean an overheated bearing, or "hot (journal) box"? or was the brake a-dragging?
  5. spitfire

spitfire Active Member

From CBC Ottawa "An initial investigation suggests a wheel on one of the trains caught fire before it derailed and hit another train sitting on a siding." Two members of the crew of the stationary train were taken to hospital with non life-threatening burns, so I was wrong when I initially said no one was hurt.

I also found this pic of the fireball.

Attached Files:

6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Flying trains

Val:
    In Tuesday's Globe & Mail, Orland French had a column about this, partly talking about how the train had just passed Belleville where he lives.
    I have a copy of the report on the Missississaugua derailment of years ago, where the derailment involved not only flammable gases, but also poisonous ones, and a large suburban city was evacuated for nearly a week.
  7. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

That is one helluva boom!! Saw on TV about the tank in New York, but didn't see this one!! :eek: :eek:

Now..... how do I go about putting that on my layout! :)
  8. Rusty Stumps

Rusty Stumps Member

NASA does this all the time only a little more controlled!:D

Like the astronaut commented when asked by a reporter what it felt like sitting in the space capsul just before launch....

"how would you feel sitting on 500 tons of high explosives all built by the lowest bidder?"

The rail car just didn't achive orbit that's all!:p
  9. gibbs

gibbs New Member

Here's a pic of the lead engine on the train that was hit. Less than 6 months old.

Attached Files:

10. gibbs

gibbs New Member

Front Shot

Attached Files:

11. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Looking at that scorched hulk I almost can't believe that nobody was seriously hurt! :eek:

There must have been a whole squadron of guardian angels flying around at the moment of the crash! :D :D :D

Ron
  12. Duckman

Duckman Member

Toast

Hey guys, I was standing next to Scott (Gibbs) when he took those shots,and I,ll tell you ,Standing next to the burned out unit, I,m amazed no one was killed that day. This unit was only 6 months old with a price tag of over 3 Million bucks. John our tour guide said it will cost aprox. 1.5 Million to fix. She,s not a write off. Duckman...:eek:
  13. Duckman

Duckman Member

Toast

Hey guys, I was standing next to Scott (Gibbs) when he took those shots,and I,ll tell you ,Standing next to the burned out unit, I,m amazed no one was killed that day. This unit was only 6 months old with a price tag of over 3 Million bucks. John our tour guide said it will cost aprox. 1.5 Million to fix. She,s not a write off. Duckman...:eek:
  14. Duckman

Duckman Member

Sorry about the double posting. Don,t know why that happend. Duckman