Derailment in Alabama

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
A CSX train derailed this morning in Troy, AL - just up the road from our house! Haven't heard what caused it, but apparently nobody was hurt.

Attachments

• Mvc-001s.jpg
    Mvc-001s.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 196
  • Mvc-004s.jpg
    Mvc-004s.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 199

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Actually, they didn't put the lumber cars back on the track. They propped them up between the road and the tracks (along with 4 other cars that were damaged too badly). This morning, they started unloading the lumber.

A policeman has been stationed nearby since the derailment - to keep people off of the cars and to keep the lumber from "walking away."

My neighbor told me that every time they drive by the wrecked cars, her two-year-old son says "Choo-choo hurt!" :D

John

Attachments

• Mvc-011s.jpg
    Mvc-011s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 178
  • Mvc-006s.jpg
    Mvc-006s.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 180
  • Mvc-007s.jpg
    Mvc-007s.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 187

trainwhiz20

Aug 9, 2004
Tampa, FL
Look at the bright side, no one got hurt. (Except the choo-choo! :p )

Although, CSX is certainly not having their best month. First FL then AL...

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
now we used to drive for Wiley Sanders Truck Lines based there in troy. used to go threw there all the time. sense my brother live's in dothan not to far away from there i kinda figured he would have told me something about it sense i am a "train greek?" but never heard a word till i seen this. i must say thats one heck of a mess. what hwy did it happen on?

KCS

Nov 23, 2004
Shreveport, LA.
o0o0o0o0 ok. i know where thats at. just down the road about a mile or so from the wiley sanders yard. man i wish i could make my way back down there. even tho troy isnt much compaired to where i live now it's still a nice place.plus close to my brothers house!

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Another update: This week, they unloaded the two boxcars that were left next to the tracks. The boxcars contained large rolls of paper. To unload them, they parked a flatbed trailer next to the car door and brought the rolls out with a forklift. An interesting operation, but I didn't get a picture. :(

Papa Bear

Dec 28, 2003
South Alabama
www.route29.com
Cleanup update...

They've been unloading the hopper cars - pumping the contents into bulk tanker trailers. Yesterday, a crew started cutting up the lumber flats and the boxcars :( .

In a strange twist of irony, on the 11th they had a head-on collision at the siding at Banks, about 10 miles south of Troy. :eek: Nobody was hurt and no cars derailed - just smashed up the nose of the lead unit on one of the trains.