deLuxe Innovations

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Here's a question...

I'm thinking of adding some coal to my layout and wondering who makes a good BethGon coal porter...I've been looking at the Kato and deLuxe Innovations models. (I don't have any experience with Kato cars, only their diesels.) Are the cars of good quality/realism too? What about deLuxe? I've never seen any of their cars...do they run and look good? How do both companies compare to each other? Oh, I know this is just an opinion question, but I'm wondering just the same.

Thanks

sandjam

Sep 13, 2004
I compared the two when I bought my Kato’s.

IIRC, both were equally finely detailed and of comparable quality and price.

I chose the Kato’s over the DI’s for the visual appearance of the loads and also the Kato’s seemed to free roll a bit better.

I am not thrilled with the Kato couplers and plan to change them to MT’s.

You won’t be disappointed with either. They are both superb models.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Many thanks for the replys...

I've read that others are having problems with the Kato BethGon's, specifically with them hooking up with their Kato diesels. Apparently a Kato to Kato coupler combination doesn't always work so well and some have stuck a deLuxe BethGon between the two Kato products to allow better movement through the turns on the layouts. I don't have any experience with Kato's freight cars to know if those occurances are accurate or not. On my layout, I've had no problems running a Kato diesel with Kato passenger cars so I'm hoping I'll have none if I go with their BethGon coal porters. Still, the deLuxe are a good price...hmmmmm.

DaytonTrainDude

Dec 5, 2003
Dayton, OH
Visit site
Athearn makes a coal porter set too. I think Modeltrainstuff.com has em on sale. Also has the Kato coalporters on sale. I have the Kato Coalporters and both the California Zephyr set and the 12-car Super Chief set from Kato. The coalporter couplers are kind of different and they can be a pain. I never have problems with my passenger stock though.

Mike

b28_82

Jan 25, 2004
Midwest City, OK
www.geocities.com
I prefer Katos over the Deluxe. I also have some LBFs which run pretty well but the loads are something to be desired. I plan on going to the LHS and getting some coal to glue to the top of the loads. Anyway. The Deluxe innovations cars i have need new wheelsets because they are very wobbly on the tracks and tend to hit the coupler boxes. I found out that they are 36" wheels. Does anyone know who makes 36" wheelsets to replace what I have?

n_gineer

Jul 19, 2003
harrisburg pa.
Visit site
I have LBF's that came with MT trucks and couplers. As mentioned the loads aren't that nice but I spayed my loads with contact cement and dipped them in black sand from the craft store and they look great now. Over all a very nice looking and working car.