Delta station of Ma & Pa

Discussion in 'Trackside Photos & Details' started by budo, Jul 5, 2007.

1. budo

budo New Member

Hi all
    Here's another question for you fans of the Ma & Pa. In trying to keep my diorama of the Delta station accurate I notice in looking at some old pictures of the station that there is a paved area between the rails that appears to be maybe gray cobblestones or such. Believe the original plans called for thoses areas to be brick but it doesn't look like brick to me. Would anyone be able to shed some light on this for me ?
    Thanks
    Budo
  2. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

If I recall correctly, the city where I grew up (Hamilton, Ontario) had streetcar tracks that had the area between the rails, and along both sides, paved with "bricks" which were larger than normal. There were also a couple of brick streets that were paved with these similar large bricks. All of these areas were paved-over many years ago, so no way to go back for a look, though.

Wayne
  3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

These "bricks" are called Belgian Block. They are typically chunks of granite, not brick (fired clay). You can see many New York streets that have/had this treatment at Forgotten NY

Andrew
  4. budo

budo New Member

Drwayne and Masonjar thanks for the ideas. I have seen several pictures of the area however the pics are in black and white and the areas appear to be a grayish color which made me think of cobblestones. I am not familiar with Belgian Block. I assume they are all normally about the same color.
    Did check out the site you mentioned and that seems to be it.
    Thanks
    Budo
  5. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

The Belgian Block "pavers" would have the natural variation of the stone type that they are quarried from - most of the ones at Forgotten NY seem to be a pinkish granite.

Don't forget to look at the blue slate sidewalk slabs/pavers while you are there. Also very cool! And then there's the page with all the old coal chute covers and so on... :thumb:

Andrew